collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much do you care about Villa?  (Read 8090 times)

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
How much do you care about Villa?
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »
Without wishing this to turn into a 'I'm a better fan than you' debate, how much do we all care about the Villa? Obviously enough to spend time on an internet forum discussing a topic that others may view as trivial, but to what degree? This follows what I said earlier about others being incandescent with rage (possible hyperbole) about Lambert's failings, whereas I cannot muster enough anger to really get much above a mild grump. A few years ago it would have been different, but I think the Lerner years have flushed that enthusiasm out of me.

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
Re: How much do you care about Villa?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »
I don't know if it's because I'm getting older but I'm completely chilled about our current dilema and perhaps give the impression that I don't care as much as I once did. I used to rant endlessly in the Ellis era, perhaps because then we always seemed one player off being a great team and Doug wouldn't go that extra bit just to take us there.

Now we are hundreds of millions away from competing at the top so it seems pointless to rant about being either 16th or 6th and still not winning anything. I still absolutely enjoy my matchdays as well regardless of the teams performance.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »
One of the main reasons my friends and I didn't renew is because we enjoyed the match day, but tended not to enjoy the actual matches.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 02:34:58 PM »
Its very easy for me to love Villa more than my first born since I do not have any kids!

Far more than I should, I think, in as much as that losing ruins my weekend and causes me to avoid any mention of it in the TV and newspaper, holidays have tended to be booked so as to minimise the number of games missed, I get agitated if I can't keep up with what is happening in a Villa match I am not at etc etc.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 02:38:51 PM »
This much:

*stretches out arms*

*dies*

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 02:39:21 PM »
I think some people tend to mellow about their team as they get older, I know I have. If we lose, then I don't dwell on it as much and I don't let it ruin my weekend. It's more mild frustration when things go wrong.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:41:52 PM by Clampy »

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:40:49 PM »
I still care to the extent that I’m an STH with occasional away games. While I’m there I’ll get into the game but the second I walk through the door when I get home from a game, I move on. There’s more important things than worrying about whether a football team has won or not.

I love watching the game and talking about it but I’ll never let it ruin my weekend or my Monday morning. It has got to the point where even if we won the cup, I’d enjoy the day as much as anyone but then the day after, life would return to normal.

I see people whose lives are almost defined by what happens at the match on a Saturday and it worries me. Going to an away game is great but seeing people spend the day getting drunk then arguing amongst themselves afterwards? No thanks. I’m there to watch the football.

I couldn’t let something that I have so little control of affect my life in that way.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »
It's a hobby.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 03:38:47 PM »
Ha the poll looks like a penis

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 03:41:01 PM »
I don't know if it's because I'm getting older but I'm completely chilled about our current dilema and perhaps give the impression that I don't care as much as I once did. I used to rant endlessly in the Ellis era, perhaps because then we always seemed one player off being a great team and Doug wouldn't go that extra bit just to take us there.

Now we are hundreds of millions away from competing at the top so it seems pointless to rant about being either 16th or 6th and still not winning anything. I still absolutely enjoy my matchdays as well regardless of the teams performance.

Same here.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »
I care roughly speaking about 76.389576%.  Down 5.384029 points from last year.

Offline chippy

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 03:43:53 PM »
I get angry and upset when we lose. Fed up when we draw against crap teams. Also get stressed and worried about relegation every season lately. Supporting villa seems more of a negative than a positive.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
I get angry and upset when we lose. Fed up when we draw against crap teams. Also get stressed and worried about relegation every season lately. Supporting villa seems more of a negative than a positive.

Same here, though it doesn't completely ruin my weekend like it did when I was younger.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 03:46:03 PM »

This is me apart from the last sentence.  I'm battered into submission by the last few seasons into the fact we are a bit shit.  Before then I'd always think we'd turn the corner but now avoiding the drop rather than Europe is the total of our ambition.  That being the case I am beginning to care a little less about our results as I'm almost as immune to losing on a regular basis as not being able to score a goal.  The losses still hurt for the entire walk back to the Swan and Mitre, a few pints later and I've forgotten about it.  Three seasons ago any loss would ruin my weekend.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »

Same here.

Yes, spot on for me too. Excellently put. I rant on match days with the best of them and go off on one on here, sometimes inappropriately so, but really evened out across a week, this is exactly how I feel. I rarely watch MOTD, don't tune in to talk in footie shows on the radio, sometimes don't even know scores from a lot of games. I worry endlessly that I am getting like my Dad who was a rabid Villa fan until his early 30s, went to the 57 cup final etc, and has hardly cared about football for the last 40 years. He felt in the early 60s how I feel about us now - a time when we really did fall down the pecking order very quickly (though the signs were there in mid to late 50s too apparently!)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal