collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why are you Villa?  (Read 19327 times)

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
Why are you Villa?
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:03:16 PM »
I'm not sure there's been a thread on this. I've had a gander and not found anything, so I've started one - why do you support the Villa?

I was motivated by something said by Fin Feds Dad on the More Classic Game Footage thread:

Great game - the team that made me fall in love with the Villa.

Which has led me to wonder about the reasons why everyone on here is in the same boat.

My brothers and I had no choice in the matter. The Old Boy saw to that. He's the youngest of five lads, all of whom, bar one, support the Villa. The other brother, for some reason beknownst only to him, supports the Wolves - while their father - my grandfather - was also Villa. Beyond that I don't know. All I know is that I had no choice in the matter.

This isn't some better-fan-than-you thread, just thought it could be interesting to hear the various different stories.

So then, why are you Villa?

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
Re: Why are you Villa?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:04:28 PM »
Grandad was a fan, the only other in family!

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 03:12:12 PM »
no choice... Dad's family always been Villa since 1880's, so I have been told.

Mom's side Blosers :(

UTV
The Doc

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »
My Dad's been a season ticket holder since the early 60's.
He took me to my first game, in 1989 when I was five. Had my first season ticket for the 1991-1992 season. Had one ever since!

Offline dekko

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »
When my Grandad came over from Ireland in 1950 he'd never seen a football match, because he was a pretty high-level Hurling player and the GAA rules at the time stated that you weren't allowed to watch or play 'foreign games' like football.

A load of his colleagues from the factory he started working at took him to a Redditch United game, which didn't impress him much.  Then the following week they went to Villa Park........

He bought me one of those 1995/96 shirts with the big ol' AST on the front for christmas and the rest is history....

Offline MarkM

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Great grandad was a fan and took my grandad, my grandad took my dad, my dad took me and I take my son

No escape from it! (although one of dads brothers changed to the dark side and supported the blues, probably to piss of my grandad, that whole part of the family are blue noses!)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »
Born in Birmingham, lived first couple of years in Aston, most of my childhood in Erdington. Went to King Edwards Aston. What other choice do I have? It's in my DNA.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 03:51:15 PM »
The direct male line in the family were all Villa going back to the 1890's, maybe even earlier, so me and my sister had no choice but to be Villa. Only time it bothers me not having had kids is that the line stops with me, which actually makes me feel a bit guilty, even more than the direct line of family name dying out does.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 03:58:13 PM »
My folks moved stayed having been at uni in Birmingham, and the trek to Filbert street became too much in the 70's so they started going to Villa Park instead. The took me to quite a few games when little, but the first I genuinely remember almost all of was 89-90, Villa Park, 0-3 vs Wimbledon. I remember the goals, sitting in the Witton Lane looking across at the crest on the Trinity in pure wonderment, the greyness of the day and most of all the old scoreboard. The goal graphic, the scoreline just making me so depressed. What a bloody first genuine memory. John Fashanu battering us at Villa park. By the time with did them 7-1 under Sir Brian some years later I was a regular, but that victory will always be one of my favourites.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 04:04:17 PM »
Grew up in Handsworth, a mile or so from the ground.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »
Like MarkM -my Great grandad was a fan and took my grandad, my grandad took my dad, my dad took me and I take my son

I was always born to be Villa - but that team was the team that made me completely bonkers about the club. They were the first side I watched regularly - from 6 onwards.

The end of the o'Neill years and the dross that has followed have been my Sons first teams he has watched regularly - funnily enough , he ain't as keen as me !

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 04:13:39 PM »
Grew up in Handsworth, a mile or so from the ground.

Similar to me Hilts- born and raised in Villa Road, Handsworth, just up from Villa Cross. All male side of the family were Villa supporters so happy to follow the genetic DNA. Only exception was paternal Grandfather who was a PNE supporter though he slowly converted to Claret and Blue when he moved to South Birmingham after the war. My first match was late 1967/early 1968 and pleased to say that it has been an important part of my life ever since.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 04:14:36 PM »
My lad is 7 and shows little interest in football but loves his Villa shirt. He knows Benteke and that is it, but he just does not get football in the same way I loved it. He wants to go to a home game, but I am waiting till the summer time, and hoping that we will be a bit more interesting to watch when he comes.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
Both sides of the family predominantly Villa including both grandads. Dad was raised in Hockley, mom in Erdington. Dad first took me when I was 4 (1974). Born and bred + live live in Villaland (Sutton) and eldest at King Edwards Aston. Not much choice really.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
In my family i am the first generation of Villa fan, my father was a 'Taff' and a Cardiff supporter he moved to Birmingham to marry my mother whose tendencies swayed toward
the Albion, my first ever game was at the sty to celebrate my 5th or 6th birthday a game v Everton then my mates dad over the road offered to take me to Villa Park needless to say from 1961
onwards i was hooked, been a ST holder from 1970 to date i then myself brought 3 sons into the world with a little help from the ex, needless to say they had no choice. The eldest lad has given me my first grandson
a year ago and he also wont have a choice an i'm looking forward to the day when he and i plus my granddaughter from my youngest son can all go down together.
Am a little unsure as to when i should take em down as i'm now getting older so they may have to wait until 6 or thereabouts when a little easier to look after!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal