collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sid's Dream Team  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Neil Hawkes

Re: Sid's Dream Team
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 03:38:07 PM »
Brian Little anyone?

Yes but as others have sited he seems to have gone for combinations.

Sid, McGrath and Little be the first 3 names on my Villa team - 1978 to present day.

Fair enough, Little & Yorke then, don't think any team would like facing those two in their prime.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:42:25 PM by Neil Hawkes »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 05:36:35 PM »
I started watching late 80s so my team would be

Bosnich - mellberg McGrath southgate Staunton - Merson platt cowans Young - yorke Benteke

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 05:42:51 PM »
I've always thought Tony Daley was a much better player than Ashley Young.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »

As a pure winger, yes. But Young can play well in probably 7 out of 11 positions.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 06:45:44 PM »

As a pure winger, yes. But Young can play well in probably 7 out of 11 positions.

Daley had speed and was dangerous running at people through the centre but for a winger I never thought his crossing was great. As a striker would you want deliveries from Tony Morley, Ashley Young or Tony Daley?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 07:09:16 PM »
Never seen Tony Morley and Youngs deliveries were better than Daleys but Daley from broken play could be deadly and conjure a bit of something out of nothing and we've had very little of that for the 30 years I've watched us. So Daley will always get my vote (plus I met him at a wedding completely star struck and pissed up and offered him a race).

Offline Damo70

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 10:39:54 PM »
Never seen Tony Morley and Youngs deliveries were better than Daleys but Daley from broken play could be deadly and conjure a bit of something out of nothing and we've had very little of that for the 30 years I've watched us. So Daley will always get my vote (plus I met him at a wedding completely star struck and pissed up and offered him a race).

Young could cross and create from wide, Daley was dangerous down the middle, Morley was better than both of them at both things.

Offline Jim Shoes

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 01:50:35 AM »
                              Turner's Tots

Poole

Norton       Elliott         Glover        Gallagher

Bradley      Walker        Robinson     Burke

Kerr       Stainrod (for leadership and to set an example)

OMG OMG OMG!!!!

I have tried for decades to forget any of those names ever existed or played for Villa.....or that I spent money I didn't have following that crock of shit all over the country in the vain hope that we could get back to 81/82. What an idiot I was lol.

Alex Cropely was a true footballer, anyone who had the joy to watch him play could see that a great talent. I can understand why Sid would pick him in fact if I sometimes try to pick my favorite Villa team I struggle between Cowans and Cropely myself both were brilliant players.

My 11,

Rimmer
Gidman, Mcgrath, Laursen, Staunton
Cowans, Mortimer, Platt, Morley
Little, Gray.

But that leaves out most of the late 70's team who were so good to watch as well as most of the league and European Cup wining team as well as some other great players such as Yorke, Townsend, Bosnich, Mellberg, Merson, Dorigo, Aitken, Barry, Young, Milner etc which is hard to do as all were fabulous to watch.

I have been watching Villa since the early 70's and have seen some many great players but the generation before would I suspect have many different names like Stan Lynn, Peter McParland, Billy Walker, Johnny Dixon, Tom Waring to name a few.

We have been blessed.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 05:42:22 AM »

Tony Daley was my favourite player in the late 80s but he couldn't really cross the ball and he benefited from the lower quality of player up against him at the time. As sir graham said, 'he's only got one trick, but it's a good'un'

I was never sure what that trick was apart from speed. But he did score some great goals. Young was technically much better and i doubt Daley ever posted anything like the stats Young did in his first two seasons

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 08:05:10 AM »
Spink
Laursen McGrath Barry
Bremner Platt Cowans Little Townsend
Yorke Withe

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »
I can't do it, I've tried but just can't do it

Defence and attack I'm ok with, but midfield is a nightmare as who you leave out

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
                                               Enklemann

Kubicki                 Alpay (C)                    Comyn                       Luna

Curcic                  Mortimer (Paul)        Kinsella (C)                Callaghan

Penrice                      Fashanu (C)

That should do it.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »
                                               Enklemann

Kubicki                 Alpay (C)                    Comyn                       Luna

Curcic                  Mortimer (Paul)        Kinsella (C)                Callaghan

That should do it.

It's a cracker!

Alpay was very good though before he went yampy.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »
                                               Enklemann

That should do it.

I reckon they would beat my XI at least 3-0.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal