collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our Charlies Birthday  (Read 6892 times)

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: Our Charlies Birthday
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
Didn't someone really famous also play for New York Cosmos. Who was it now?

Just remembered.....Steve Hunt!

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 04:24:20 PM »
Didn't someone really famous also play for New York Cosmos. Who was it now?

Just remembered.....Steve Hunt!

Plus Franz Beckenbauer, of whom their owner allegedly said "Tell the Kraut to get his ass up front. We don't pay him to fanny around in defence."

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 06:15:04 PM »
Thought it was going to be pisstake about n'zogbia.
Led hope we don't buy him a birthday cake

Offline exigo

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 10:46:17 PM »
And assuming Sid counts with his spells away that takes you to early 1976 with 4 players. If i've worked it out right.

Spink/Hendrie/Gabby appears to get you back to Boxing Day 1979 in three moves.
Assuming Dixon/Aitken is the quickest way to go from 1946 to 1976, then Gidman looks to be all you need to fill that gap.

So, staggeringly, you can go all the way back to the first game after the second world war in just six players.

Eric Houghton finished his career in 1946, having started in 1927. And Billy Walker gets you from January 1920 to 1933. Harry Hampton covers 1904 to 1920. Howard Spencer covers 1892 to 1907. Gersham Cox (me neither) gets you from 1878 to 1893.

Wikipedia goes blank before this point, but working on the assumption that one player could potentially get you from our first ever game to 1878, the list would be (without checking that they definitely overlapped):

?????>Cox>Spencer>Hampton>Walker>Houghton>Dixon>Aitken>Gidman>Spink>Hendrie>Agbonlahor.

12 players, from Gabby Agbonlahor to the team that were formed under a gaslight.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 11:14:03 PM »
And assuming Sid counts with his spells away that takes you to early 1976 with 4 players. If i've worked it out right.

Assuming Dixon/Aitken is the quickest way to go from 1946 to 1976, then Gidman looks to be all you need to fill that gap.

So, staggeringly, you can go all the way back to the first game after the second world war in just six players.

Eric Houghton finished his career in 1946, having started in 1927. And Billy Walker gets you from January 1920 to 1933. Harry Hampton covers 1904 to 1920. Howard Spencer covers 1892 to 1907. Gersham Cox (me neither) gets you from 1878 to 1893.

Wikipedia goes blank before this point, but working on the assumption that one player could potentially get you from our first ever game to 1878, the list would be (without checking that they definitely overlapped):

?????>Cox>Spencer>Hampton>Walker>Houghton>Dixon>Aitken>Gidman>Spink>Hendrie>Agbonlahor.

12 players, from Gabby Agbonlahor to the team that were formed under a gaslight.

*anorak alert* If you want overlapping appearances rather than careers, Harry Hampton's last game was the one before Billy Walker's and Nigel Spink made his debut after John Gidman left. Gersham Cox left two seasons before Howard Spencer's debut. 

Archie Hunter was playing from about 1877 until 1890 so he will almost certainly have played in the same team as one of the First XI. He played with Jas Cowan, who played with Billy George, who played with Hampton, who played with Dicky York, who played with Houghton. Then you'd go Dixon, Aitken, Brian Little (last game March 1980), Spink, Hendrie, Gabby.   

Offline nigel

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
I'm sure Villa were his only professional club?
I don't remember him playing elsewhere after he left/retired.

As has been said, A true Legend

New York Cosmos. He deserved that one.

Of course, played in the same team as Pele, too, if I recall
Thanks Dave

Offline exigo

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »

*anorak alert* If you want overlapping appearances rather than careers, Harry Hampton's last game was the one before Billy Walker's and Nigel Spink made his debut after John Gidman left. Gersham Cox left two seasons before Howard Spencer's debut. 

Archie Hunter was playing from about 1877 until 1890 so he will almost certainly have played in the same team as one of the First XI. He played with Jas Cowan, who played with Billy George, who played with Hampton, who played with Dicky York, who played with Houghton. Then you'd go Dixon, Aitken, Brian Little (last game March 1980), Spink, Hendrie, Gabby.   

Cheers Dave. A first team and two subs probably gets you all the way back to beating Aston Brook St Marys 1-0 in a game of half-football, half-rugby. Quite a thought.

Wikipedia claims that Jack Hughes scored the goal in that game, with his page claiming that he joined Small Heath in 1890. He could be the final link.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:55:52 PM by exigo »

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »
Didn't he have a shop in Olton or Acock's Green after he retired?

He did indeed have an Antique shop in Acocks Green but it was broken into so often that he gave it up as he was worried about his own personal safety. This information was gleaned from a very pleasent conversation I had with him about 10 years ago when I met him and Ron Wylie at a match where I was doing some corporate schmoozing. Both of them were proper gentlemen and a pleasure to talk to. Belated Happy Birthday Mr Aitken.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »

Cheers Dave. A first team and two subs probably gets you all the way back to beating Aston Brook St Marys 1-0 in a game of half-football, half-rugby. Quite a thought.

Wikipedia claims that Jack Hughes scored the goal in that game, with his page claiming that he joined Small Heath in 1890. He could be the final link.

Jack Hughes is the missing link to our early days. He was apparently a great diarist and the only club member to keep records of the early days. It was his talk in 1897 that formed the basis of much of the club's early written history. E.B. Lee was a member of the team in the first match and a photo from 1880 features a Lee as well as Archie Hunter so it's more than likely that there's the first link. 

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »
And some great pictures of Charlie here:

http://www.nasljerseys.com/Players/A/Aitken.Charlie.htm

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »
In the 1976 picture Brian Rowan is shown. I'm fairly sure he played a couple of times for us when he was young. Cant remember where though.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »
I remember him Ron.  Saw a lot of him in the stiffs, I thought he had the makings but, only ever played for the first team once, about 1969ish I think.

Forgot to add, he played full back, right side.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:09:09 PM by dave shelley »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2015, 10:07:18 PM »
13th September 1969. We lost 3-0 at Watford.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2015, 09:53:43 PM »
Christ! I went to that game.

It's not very often you see your team concede a goal from a 45-yard free-kick -and not a good one, either!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal