collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave P
[Today at 09:42:19 AM]

Champions League Contention by Dave P
[Today at 09:40:39 AM]

Liverpool by steffo
[Today at 09:38:38 AM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Des Little
[Today at 09:28:43 AM]

Who should create the Atmosphere? by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[Today at 08:56:37 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by Baldy
[Today at 08:46:32 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Demitri_C
[Today at 08:44:50 AM]

MOTD by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 08:40:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary McAllister  (Read 10331 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Gary McAllister
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2015, 11:46:25 PM »
Would not be averse to him coming back at all. Did well as caretaker and was part of the style Houllier was better at implementing than Lambert.

I think if we had handelled Houllier's enforced departure better the following years might have been so much easier. For instance, not rushing to get rid of McAllister and therefore when Martinez turned us down, giving McAllister a chance rather than panicking and appointing McLeish. We were playing good football under McAllister and the results were very good.

I think this is a bit of rewriting of history here regarding McAllister when he stepped him although I do accept it was a difficult situation with  Houllier taken ill and us still being in a relegation battle. Anyway here they are:

Villa 1-1 Stoke
WBA 2-1 Villa
Villa 1-1 Wigan
Arsenal 1-2 Villa
Villa 1-0 Liverpool

So the first 3 are pretty much par for what we've had in the 3 and a half seasons since, frustrating home draws against other relegation struggles and an incredible defeat to West Brom, a game we were leading, West Brom went down to 10 men and we somehow lost. Not helped by one of the worst subs I've ever seen a Villa manager make at 1-1 when he brought on Pires who singlehandly slowed down every single attack we had.

The last two were good but total flukes as it was completely out of kilter with how we'd defended for the previous 36 games for a start. If that was the level we'd reached for even half the games that season we'd have finished top 6 no problem.

Offline SoccerHQ

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 12:41:15 AM »
Haha, they certainly haven't this decade. Whatever happened to Sarunyu, our Thai correspondent?

Online tomd2103

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 12:51:48 AM »
Would not be averse to him coming back at all. Did well as caretaker and was part of the style Houllier was better at implementing than Lambert.

I think if we had handelled Houllier's enforced departure better the following years might have been so much easier. For instance, not rushing to get rid of McAllister and therefore when Martinez turned us down, giving McAllister a chance rather than panicking and appointing McLeish. We were playing good football under McAllister and the results were very good.

I think this is a bit of rewriting of history here regarding McAllister when he stepped him although I do accept it was a difficult situation with  Houllier taken ill and us still being in a relegation battle. Anyway here they are:

Villa 1-1 Stoke
WBA 2-1 Villa
Villa 1-1 Wigan
Arsenal 1-2 Villa
Villa 1-0 Liverpool

So the first 3 are pretty much par for what we've had in the 3 and a half seasons since, frustrating home draws against other relegation struggles and an incredible defeat to West Brom, a game we were leading, West Brom went down to 10 men and we somehow lost. Not helped by one of the worst subs I've ever seen a Villa manager make at 1-1 when he brought on Pires who singlehandly slowed down every single attack we had.

The last two were good but total flukes as it was completely out of kilter with how we'd defended for the previous 36 games for a start. If that was the level we'd reached for even half the games that season we'd have finished top 6 no problem.

I wouldn't say the Liverpool win was a total fluke, as we deserved that win.  What a great afternoon that was - us beating them and Blues being relegated in the dying minutes of the season. 

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 01:26:58 AM »
If I remember correctly, in the last two games we scored goals with a 15 and 16 pass move. It was a joy to see.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 03:12:19 AM »
Few samples of post match threads under G Mac...

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=43361.0
http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=43273.0
http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=43206.0

Nothing ever really changes does it?!

Jesus, we could just cut & paste. Scary.

edit Ok this is brilliant. Made me giggle, I love how just forthright it is.

The Mossman
I fucking hate the team, most of the squad, the management. Never seen a team with less collective balls in villa colours. In retrospect it was clear that players would do fuck all for McAllister, and then he further hamstrings us with a retarded substitution. I hope they slash and burn this summer, players and management, and start again, and not in fucking August. If Randy is not decisive this summer in cutting out the shite I will have finally gone from pro to anti. We are where we are because GH/GM was a mistake, which was not rectified, and far, far shitter teams with better managers are making mugs of us all over the place. What a massive pile of fucking shit of a season.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:19:13 AM by ciggiesnbeer »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 09:38:29 AM »
Wish we could shoehorn Hoddle in to coach the "passing game" then fuck Lambert off and appoint him head coach

This is the Hoddle who was exasperated at Beckham's lack of free kick taking quality in training at the '98 World Cup. Can you imagine what he would make of the 'talents' of some of our lot? He would be gone quicker than Keane, our mob would drive him suicidal.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 09:45:43 AM »
Mike Phelan would be great but he's stepped up as caretaker at Naarwich (caretaker manager, not caretaker like the bloke from Tony Hart).

Mr Bennett, played by Colin Bennett. The man behind Captain Zep, quite possibly the best BBC part kids sci-fi drama/part kids quiz show ever. For those of you with kids think Skatoony but with aliens.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 07:46:35 PM »

Villa 1-1 Stoke
WBA 2-1 Villa
Villa 1-1 Wigan
Arsenal 1-2 Villa
Villa 1-0 Liverpool

I wouldn't say the Liverpool win was a total fluke, as we deserved that win.  What a great afternoon that was - us beating them and Blues being relegated in the dying minutes of the season. 

Yeah I'll quantify what I mean by flukes as obviously I can't remember the flow of either game except that we went 2 up very early on at Arsenal.

Flukes as those two results were completely out of sync with how we'd played for the previous 36 games. We were a total shambles defensively that season yet to only concede 1 goal in those two games indicates we probably did a little better in those two.

Liverpool and Arsenal had both comfortably beaten us earlier that season aswell.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2015, 08:05:13 PM »
When the alternative was having McLeish as manager, many ordinary managers suddenly look like good options.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 01:51:15 AM »
McAllister did a good job when called upon.  But then it is much easiler when you are only in caretaker charge, and the players respond to a new voice.  Don't think he would have been the right choice long term, but it goes without saying that he would have been far better than McLeish. 

Would be happy if he was appointed as number two again, but don't see anything to this.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2015, 06:33:34 AM »
I rated Mcallister for the relatively strong finish to that season. Would've been happy for houllier to take up some kind of DoF role and Mcallister to manage the side with a few villa influenced coaches like Sid etc thrown in the mix.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2015, 11:17:03 AM »
Tend to agree with SoccerHQ, I think McAllister brief tenure as temporary manager is in danger of being made to be a greater success than it actually was.  I remember having an argument on here at the time with those who took an exception to my comment that the final table never lies, except on the occasion when a couple of decent results meant we were mathematical safe from relegation with three (?) games to go and actually pushed us up to mid-table "respectability". 

I also agree with the idea that a better option would be someone like Steve Clarke. A coach with a proven record. 

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
From what I know from a friend who had dinner with McAllister a couple of weeks ago, he left with a sour tast in his mouth (although very well compensated). Apparantly.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »
Was he chewing on those sour cola bottle gummy things as he accepted the cash?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal