collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our new style of play  (Read 14522 times)

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Our new style of play
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2015, 11:43:16 PM »
In response to our new style of play it is a work in process as well as progress. What the villa players implement on the training field is being shown in match play over the last few matches. Its a case of more possession based football and the passing is actually never pointless if just side to side   what it actually is doing is preparing an attack. The philosophy us not so well understood in the UK however by all accounts the players have adapted well and continue to move forward. I suspect the goals will come once the correct movements and triangles around ball players become more apparent. What can be said is the defence is working on being closer with the deep lying midfielder.  I think we can all agree Carlos Sanchez has been outstanding in recovering the ball from the opposition . The great news is Westy is now back which will help penetration from possession. The style Villa are implementing must be embraced by pkayers and fans alike. We are essentially talking between 10 , 15 maybe 20 passes before what as seen as attack forming. If no goal or attack occurs we go again.  The villa players have at times been tentative with the new systematic approach however there is a genuine enthusiasm within the camp that the building attacks will mean goals.  I would suggest that over the next matches more opportunities to score will occur and for villa followers to be faithful and patient.

I have no problem with the new philosophy of passing the ball to a player in the same colour shirt, what I don't understand however is the sideways football. In playing amateur football for 25 plus years I was always told that you pass a ball to take an opponent out of the game. Once we have then got the ball into a position for the winger/wide midfield player ie. N'gobia to isolate a player he can go past them and cross into the box. When we get possession anywhere near an opponent then we pass sideways instead of past the player and committing them. When we have the ball out wide one against one then we pass sideways and back until it gets to Guzan and start again. against Palace the only real chance they had was a big punt down field, I wouldn't advocate playing like that all the time but occasionally it may prove beneficial to pit Benteke against a centre half in a one on one. Plus, whilst we are on the subject of style of play, why do we bring all 11 players back into the box when defending corners. If we left Benteke upfield then the opposition would have to leave two defenders back to mark him thus reducing their attacking options.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Our new style of play
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2015, 11:45:06 PM »
Hopefully with this new strong defensive line we have and the ability to keep the ball might actually work once we sign a little flair to mix it up once in a while. I'm using the words 'hope' and 'might' please note.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal