collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are we, as supporters, doing enough???  (Read 14599 times)

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
Re: Are we, as supporters, doing enough???
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 11:16:42 PM »
I'm going for my first game this year (I used to go every week but quite frankly cannot afford it any more as I live up north and earn next to nothing) against Liverpool with two friends. I'm more looking forward to showing them the library and the pubs round town than the Villa - I've already apologised for what they're about to see. I'd love to see a rocking Villa Park but from what I've seen of the team lately, they can neither deserve nor expect it.

The Bartons Arms is a must. As ever, the football will be an unwelcome distraction from a good day out.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 11:58:02 PM »
As I said in another post it's just boring most of the time.
For the first time in several seasons I shall be missing a home match (Stoke) to go and do something else on a Saturday that is nothing to do with football, that would have been unthinkable a few years ago. Now? Meh, they don't need me, I'm just supposed to be part of the entertainment. When was the last time Lerner was roaring us on?

If you make a fuss and complain (boo, anti-Lambert chants etc) while they're "playing" (I use the term loosely)  you're "small time", if you just support them you're naïve, if you complain on here you "need to grow a pair" etc etc

Ever felt you've been taken for a ride?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 12:03:37 AM »
Maybe it's because i'm skint so am only getting to a smaller than usual amount of games, but I still enjoy going. I might be bored shitless like I was during the Parma, Orient and Sunderland games, but overall i'd still rather be there. That said, i'm not as gutted at missing games as I was years ago, but it's been like that for well over a decade.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:07:07 AM by PeterWithesShin »

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 12:06:03 AM »
Maybe it's because i'm skint so am only getting to a smaller than usual amount of games, but I still enjoy going. I might be bored shitless like I was during the Parma, Orient and Sunderland games, but overall i'd still rather be there. That said, i'm not as gutted at missing games as I was years ago, but it's been like for well over a decade.

I used to feel uncomfortable and unable to relax if I was missing a game while that game was taking place.

I haven't been once this season, which is only part of the story, because the more important bit - for me, I mean, I wouldn't expect anyone else to give a shit, and have huge respect for those who still go to all the games - is that I don't regret not having renewed my ST or gone to any matches in the slightest. Not even remotely.

Look at where we are now. Which home match this season should I really feel bad about missing? Which one did i make the mistake not going to?

An easy win over Hull City?

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 12:19:07 AM »
Yes I ask the same question. What's happened to the famous Holte End? It's mostly empty these days and worryingly quiet. Our players don't like scoring at  that end either!

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 12:54:27 AM »
Listenening to R5's build up for the Blyth Spartans game, I was intrigued to hear their chairman's response to a question about how great the FA Cup was for the finances of little clubs and what today's match would mean to the club. He pointedly remarked that in fact the club made a hell of a lot more money from last round as it was on live TV and that the seats they had to remove for some sort of media gantry would cost them £10,0000 while the earnings from being on MoD would be £6,500.  Didn't sound to pleased about it, as you would imagine, and the embarrassed BBC chap moved swiftly on.

Also on that program they interviewed a group of fans from Cannock who follow the Spartans all over the country. One of them said 3 of them had been season ticket holders at Villa for 14 years before getting pissed off with top level football.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 12:58:20 AM »
Listenening to R5's build up for the Blyth Spartans game, I was intrigued to hear their chairman's response to a question about how great the FA Cup was for the finances of little clubs and what today's match would mean to the club. He pointedly remarked that in fact the club made a hell of a lot more money from last round as it was on live TV and that the seats they had to remove for some sort of media gantry would cost them £10,0000 while the earnings from being on MoD would be £6,500.  Didn't sound to pleased about it, as you would imagine, and the embarrassed BBC chap moved swiftly on.

Also on that program they interviewed a group of fans from Cannock who follow the Spartans all over the country. One of them said 3 of them had been season ticket holders at Villa for 14 years before getting pissed off with top level football.

When Stourbridge put in extra seats for their FA Cup games they make something daft like 90p each on them.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 03:47:48 AM »

When Stourbridge put in extra seats for their FA Cup games they make something daft like 90p each on them.

Don't know if they had to put in extra seats, but didn't Chasetown make a few hundred grand out of their cup run a few years ago?

As for the debate about home support, I think we're far from the only ones with that issue.  The noise from home fans is minimal at most grounds I've been to over the last few seasons. 

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 06:13:51 AM »
Well my mate said we've only sold 12k tickets for today, if that is the case I don't expect much of an atmosphere

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 07:12:56 AM »
Agree with everything you say Witton Warrior.I use to hate missing a reserve match let alone a first team match. The football under Lambert is so boring and predictable that i find it hard to motivate myself into going these days. In fact for the first time in my life ,this season i have actually missed quite a few games by choice and have been surprised how easy it has been

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »
Three home games in a week, after no goals in the previous two and at the end of a financially testing time of year is always going to result in a low crowd. I'm going lower North Stand today because a tenner is the very most this game is worth.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 09:33:23 AM »
And its only the FA Cup. As much as the sports press love "the romance of the cup" fans don't and have voted with their feet for years. Nobody cares until you are within sniffing distance of Wembley.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 09:34:29 AM »
The club's heart isn't in it, and the same can be said for many fans. Who can blame them? We're pretty pointless at the moment.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »

Thought that was one of the better interviews that I've listened to lately.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2015, 09:51:40 AM »
Maybe it's because i'm skint so am only getting to a smaller than usual amount of games, but I still enjoy going. I might be bored shitless like I was during the Parma, Orient and Sunderland games, but overall i'd still rather be there. That said, i'm not as gutted at missing games as I was years ago, but it's been like for well over a decade.

I used to feel uncomfortable and unable to relax if I was missing a game while that game was taking place.

I haven't been once this season, which is only part of the story, because the more important bit - for me, I mean, I wouldn't expect anyone else to give a shit, and have huge respect for those who still go to all the games - is that I don't regret not having renewed my ST or gone to any matches in the slightest. Not even remotely.

Look at where we are now. Which home match this season should I really feel bad about missing? Which one did i make the mistake not going to?

An easy win over Hull City?

The above pretty much sums up how I feel - Followed the club for over 50 years - gave up two season tickets this season - haven`t been to game home or away either this season - Am I bothered ? Shamefully no I am not - Jnr has taken up golf and I am supporting him in his new hobby.
The whole aura at the club (Villa, not the golf) is so downbeat and negative ...its not an enjoyable experience anymore. The only thing jnr and I miss - the balti pie and chips pre match from a shitty little chip shop close to the ground.
Once you get out of the habit and realise that you can actually spend your money on things more enjoyable it becomes harder to return to the fold.
We drove back from a New Year holiday yesterday (Holland) and passed Villa Park on our way back to Merseyside - I said to jnr - " do you fancy going to the match tomorrow?" - without hesitation he said - "why bother - it will be crap"  That is just how I feel.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal