collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Back to the future. we want goals.  (Read 8065 times)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Re: Back to the future. we want goals.
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2015, 06:27:16 AM »
Deano & Dalian

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2015, 12:45:36 PM »
Talking of creativity magic man Merse would be a great signing. Ashley Young and Stewart Downing would provide numerous of chances. These 3 to play behind the front 2 in a free role !

Offline Boz

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »
Trevor Ford and Gerry Hitchens ;)

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »
Gray and little with Gibson and gidman bombing down the flanks, you score three we will score four

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2015, 12:59:06 AM »
So which 2 strikers from the villa past would you like to sign to bring the goals back to the historic club!

Dublin and Carew for me !

Maybe Altidore in the future?

A rather obfuscating non sensical reply ?!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 06:13:38 PM »
Billy Goffin and Bill Myerscough.   Billy Goffin had legs shaped like a letter "O" and Bill Myerscough was a fore runner or should I say fore hobbler of Concrete Ron except he used to play through all his injuries.   He had more bandages than a mummy.   Scored the goal that got us to the final we won though IIRC.

Dave, who was Limp Along Leslie's arch rival?   He had a double barreled name and played wearing a monocle.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2015, 06:43:19 PM »
Was it Sir Mortimore Childe-Beale?  I always thought they took the example of the club that LLL played for was the Villa.

Offline brian green

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »
I thought the same but as I got a bit older I realized that the stories in the comics were written like horoscopes, in that you could read into them whatever your imagination desired.  Wasn't there a story line when LLL got special boots to compensate his one leg being longer than the other(hence the limp) and he played rubbish so he went back to limping.   Can you imagine what the Massed PC ranks would make of such a story line today.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »
Great memories Brian, back to days of innocence.  The PC brigade today would be out protesting.  A tin hat would be needed jus to read it.  I remember the special boots alright.

Do you also remember Alf Tupper aka The Tough Of The Track.  Full of chauvinism.

The Wolf Of Kabul, we won't even go there.

Offline brian green

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2015, 08:25:07 PM »
Yes, Alf Tupper and his diet of fish and chips.   They did a tribute to him in one of the papers and made a total horlicks of it.   They had him in a vest with a number 1 on it when all us  (old) kids knew he had a wolf's head because he was a lone wolf and was never in a running club. Better stop reminiscing and let them get back to was Harry Hampton better than Joe Bache. 

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »
Surprised nobody has mentioned JPA yet, one of my favourite Villa players but maybe just because I'm too young to remember any of the great Villa sides (such as they were...)
I actually think he'd do well playing the role Robbie Keane did a couple of years ago. He was always good at dropping off and linking up play. He had a great touch too. It's a shame JPA rarely played in Villa sides where keeping the ball on the deck and keeping the ball were encouraged. It's either been high tempo, or long ball and he often had to play as a target man, which wasn't his game.
Some of the better footballers we had at the club during Pablo's time occasionally struck up some good play with him. Merson, Hendrie, later Solano. I recall a cracking goal he scored against Southampton(?) in Gregory's era. It was Barca-esque. Sadly though Merson didn't last long after Gregory left, Hendrie was of course wildly inconsistent and Solano only stayed a year.

Yeah nothing wrong with JPA.  Good hold up play, decent skill, pace, and in the end I think his goal scoring record was decent for us.  Had good work rate too which I like in my strikers.

Agree that with the right support Benteke can play solo, but the problem is that Lambert just don't seem to do natural wingers, and we don't have a good enough number 10 to really make that much of a difference.  Plus you couldn't play like that every game.

Would go with Withe and Yorke from the past just for the combination play.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2015, 01:25:45 PM »
Andy Gray & Brian Little for me. Lethal!

Yup. Check out 76/77 goals column.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal