collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Club that cannot stop scoring lets yesterday's man go forth.  (Read 55377 times)

Offline richardhubbard

Club that cannot stop scoring lets yesterday's man go forth.
« on: January 02, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »
I know Darren Bent past his best but surely his proved by scoring 2 in 5 goals for Brighton in a poor team his not completely finished

With a team that scored 11 goals in 20 odd games and Gabby/Andi having goal scoring ability of Heskey , surely that Lambert at his peak of proving how useless he is
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:32:48 PM by joe_c »

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
Re: Club that cannot score lets its most prolific striker out on loan again
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 04:11:24 PM »
It doesn't matter, our problem is not taking chances, it's making chances.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 04:11:56 PM »
Lambert made a decision quite early on that Darren Bent just wasn't the type of player for him and even those of us who find fault with a lot of what he (Lambert) does, could eventually see where he was coming from.

Bent is all about movement in and around the six yard box (his finishing is actually a bit hit and miss) and unless he's in a team that makes lots of chances he will look a passenger a lot of the time like he has done with us since McLeish's season.

Derby is a great move for him, it's his last chance to flourish at a decent level and he has every chance. It doesn't make it a bad decision by Lambert to dismiss him so readily, just a bit frustrating for all concenred.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
He's scored something like 6 in his last 50 top flight appearances. Prolific he ain't. Ever since that injury at Wigan he's been a shadow of the player we signed. I'd rather play Robinson than Bent.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »
I know Darren Bent past his best but surely his proved by scoring 2 in 5 goals for Brighton in a poor team his not completely finished

With a team that scored 11 goals in 20 odd games and Gabby/Andi having goal scoring ability of Heskey , surely that Lambert at his peak of proving how useless he is

2 in 4 actually. Also had a reasonable shout for a third goal which was disallowed. But Lambert prefers Agbonlahor who also doesn't move around and Weimann who does move around but why god only knows!

At least Bent can still get in the right positions to finish as he has proved at Brighton.

We should be giving Callum Robinson a chance to prove he is capable at this level. I think he could be.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
Has he gone to Leeds

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »
I think he's finished at Villa. Lately, he hasn't been particularly prolific anywhere he's been. At least Agbonlahor and Weimann generally work hard. If Bent isn't scoring, he isn't contributing. Of course there is the chance that he could rediscover the knack but a loss of pace coupled with an awful, sitter-missing, performance in his last full game against Leyton Orient suggest otherwise.

We're not in a position where we can afford to pick out-of-form players who contribute very little on the off-chance he suddenly starts to look like the player he was three years ago.

If Kozak isn't likely to be fit any time soon I'd sooner we switched to 4-4-2 with Agbonlahor, Weimann and Robinson competing for the spot alongside Benteke.

Or, failing that, sign another forward.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 04:31:28 PM »
What a silly thread title. He's as lethal as Ivanho these days.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »

2 in 4 actually.

2 in 5. Fulham, Derby, Millwall, Wolves and Reading.

Offline ez

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »
Prolific a few years ago when he kept us up. He's not the same player now but no worse than Agbonlahor.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 04:40:13 PM »
Prolific a few years ago when he kept us up. He's not the same player now but no worse than Agbonlahor.

Actually he is now. Worse scoring rate over the last 45-50 games since his injury, despite Gabby playing wide and Bent playing through the middle.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal