collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 06:47:43 AM]

NSWE Investment by Weedy
[Today at 06:26:55 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by ChicagoLion
[Today at 06:01:37 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Bad English
[Today at 05:02:29 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by ROBBO
[Today at 04:48:05 AM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 02:17:54 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Rory
[Today at 01:40:16 AM]

Snooker by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:23:15 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 06:47:43 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Weedy
[Today at 06:26:55 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by ChicagoLion
[Today at 06:01:37 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Bad English
[Today at 05:12:02 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Bad English
[Today at 05:02:29 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Axl Rose
[Today at 04:59:04 AM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by ROBBO
[Today at 04:48:05 AM]

Re: Villa songs on Alexa by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 02:17:54 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Time to face reality.  (Read 3699 times)

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
Time to face reality.
« on: January 01, 2015, 06:27:55 PM »
Crowds are falling, Tactically, we have no identical style of play, the quality of player we are bringing in is falling by the year, expectation and supporter morale has collapsed, there is NO sign - even the slightest hint, of a light at the end of the tunnel. What began as a downturn in the teams fortunes has turned into something far more long-term and damaging, worryingly, Aston Villa Football Club is now being seen as damaged goods, players don`t want to come here, blue chip sponsors won`t come near us, and, most tellingly of all, we attracted no interest when Lerner put the club up for sale. The whole club is in danger of becoming an irrelevance outside B6. If the Lerner/Lambert axis isn`t broken soon, the fools who believe a spell in what is laughingly called "The Championship" (no, it`s the second division actually - like it or not) would be a good thing, may well get their wish, but it could be a long way back.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Time to face reality.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »
Owners have decided that they are happy with 12 to 14 and therefore maintaining our PL status. The Manager they have appointed is perfectly capable of delivering that so until ownership changes we have to accept our status I am afraid.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 06:37:38 PM »
I have been facing the reality that my glory hunting choice of Aston Villa as a lad was a poor bit of judgement. Just like my neon green trousers.

I outgrew the trousers.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »
I bet you could still sell them trousers on eBay if you still had them.Unfortunately the club seems harder to sell than a pair of green neon trousers !

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 06:49:45 PM »
*identical style of play should be identifiable style of play? Cos we seem to play identically each game - reasonably solid and no clue how to attack.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 06:53:14 PM »
Had a look at league table and we got 5th best defense in premier league (best outside top 4) and worse attack in premier league. So a key signing for midfield and striker would be make a big different, we need to find next Frank Lampard.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 06:56:25 PM »
Lambert spinning 2 losses in the last 10 matches That will be an over achievement as far as Lerner is concerned.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 06:58:41 PM »
I bet you could still sell them trousers on eBay if you still had them.Unfortunately the club seems harder to sell than a pair of green neon trousers !

I think my mum cut em up for rags eventually. Which was a blessing. The world is a better place without them.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »
How we are 12th in the league having scored just 11 goals in more than half a season just amazes me

Offline supertom

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 07:38:58 PM »
How we are 12th in the league having scored just 11 goals in more than half a season just amazes me
Yes, the league has been appalling. Terrible defending has been common. Even despite that, we can't bloody score.
Everton as an example have a fairly good record in front of goal. Their season has been dire mostly down to woeful defending.

Thankfully our defence has looked pretty solid throughout. Defeats against the big boys might have been worse were it not for them, and aside from a crazy 10 minutes against Arsenal we've never looked like falling apart at the seems like so many times last season and the year before.

In front of goal. Absolutely dire and not even Benteke has been able to help.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 07:49:40 PM »
To say we're dire in front of goal is misleading, as we rarely get fucking close enough to find out.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 07:51:42 PM »
I do wish the press would start holding up some of this reality in front of Lambert at press conferences, pretty much every single statistic and fact you can hold up about Lambert's tenure here tells the same story, not good enough for any Premier League side let alone Villa.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 08:18:02 PM »
While we are facing facts Benteke was as mardy and disinterested today as he was against Sunderland.  He did not want to know and needs a giant kick up the arse along with everybody else but Sanchez, Hutton, Okore, Clark and Grealish.   I would not sell Vlaar.   I would melt him down for candlefat.

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 08:22:51 PM »
In every successful team there is at least one member of midfield who can push on beyond the strikers and make good runs, scoring important goals. I have never seen that in a Lambert team, it's all square and back, nice and tidy, utterly predictable and so easy to defend against. I really thought Cleverley might give us something in this direction, but clearly not.

I think the most bizarre thing I've seen from Lambert's reign was the 5 up top against Bradford, where they all remained motionless in a 10 yard area. Either he is clueless or his players want
a) him to fail
b) don't understand his instructions (and have no initiative)

Then again, they don't get paid as much as the players from Man United (does anyone think this was actually said?)

It certainly is time for a change in my eyes.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »
While we are facing facts Benteke was as mardy and disinterested today as he was against Sunderland.  He did not want to know and needs a giant kick up the arse along with everybody else but Sanchez, Hutton, Okore, Clark and Grealish.   I would not sell Vlaar.   I would melt him down for candlefat.
Agreed brian re: Benteke but he's getting almost no service at all.
Then when he gets the ball himself he does what all good players do: tries almost too hard to create his own opening/score from silly positions.
Midfield and up front - and anything resembling a link between them - is the main problem.
As we've all known for at least 3 seasons!

Sort it Mr Lambert please!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal