collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Season so far  (Read 4825 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Season so far
« on: December 29, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »
Half term report.

SEASON SO FAR: Unspectacular. A fine start that brought wins at Stoke and Liverpool and a new contract for manager Paul Lambert has deteriorated into a mid-table scrap as well as seeing the departure of his No.2 Roy Keane. Villa's existence now seems to be ensuring they do not fall into relegation trouble. It is how their season is panning out - but surely a club of their stature should have higher aims.

HOW IS THE MANAGER DOING?: The jury is out on Paul Lambert but he has not been given huge amount of room for manoeuvre in the transfer market by owner Randy Lerner, who has so far failed to sell the club. Like Villa's season - unspectacular.

WHAT THEY NEED TO DO NEXT: Netherlands defender Ron Vlaar and England midfield man Fabian Delph are both free agents next summer. There is every chance one or two clubs might test their resolve to cash-in now rather than lose out in a few months. If Villa are to have any chance of prospering further this season, surely they must make sure they survive January without sales.
Did you know?: The Villains have received a joint-high four red cards in the Premier League so far this season. They didn't receive a single red card in 2013-14.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30613002

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Season so far
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:05:06 PM »
As expected so far in terms of dross performances, league position and average players doing shifts in poor tactics. So, keep Vlaar and Delph till the summer. Let them leave for free. We've more chance of staying up or pushing on with them in the squad till the summer. Just keep Benteke till the summer too. We should have enough for another 15th place finish and a mind knumbing few months under Lambert.

Offline LTA

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »
The odd sprinkling of quality apart, its been dull.  Frustrating thing is that we look a good side when everything clicks into place, but too often its been one step forward, and then about three steps back.

Best Signing:  Carlos Sanchez.  A couple of dodgy games to start with, but is looking more assured by the game.  Will be a big player for us if we can stay in the league.

Poorest Signing:  Tom Cleverley.  No goals and no assists, yet we're considering spending nearly eight million on him?.  What on earth does he bring to the party? 

Most Improved Player:  Ciaran Clark.  I've been his biggest critic, but he's grabbed his chance with both hands this season - possibly feeling it could be last chance saloon.

Most Frustrating Player:  Charles N'Zogbia.  If I was in the dressing room I'd feel like pinning him up against the wall.  Has the talent, but often appears selfish and effectively reduces us to ten before the now customary red card per-game.

Offline supertom

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 09:24:58 PM »
The odd sprinkling of quality apart, its been dull.  Frustrating thing is that we look a good side when everything clicks into place, but too often its been one step forward, and then about three steps back.

Best Signing:  Carlos Sanchez.  A couple of dodgy games to start with, but is looking more assured by the game.  Will be a big player for us if we can stay in the league.

Poorest Signing:  Tom Cleverley.  No goals and no assists, yet we're considering spending nearly eight million on him?.  What on earth does he bring to the party? 

Most Improved Player:  Ciaran Clark.  I've been his biggest critic, but he's grabbed his chance with both hands this season - possibly feeling it could be last chance saloon.

Most Frustrating Player:  Charles N'Zogbia.  If I was in the dressing room I'd feel like pinning him up against the wall.  Has the talent, but often appears selfish and effectively reduces us to ten before the now customary red card per-game.
This.
I would say most surprising signing has been Phil Senderos. Okay it's not been that surprising he's been injured for a half the games so far, but given his Bramble-esque reputation he's not put a foot wrong on the pitch and and for a freebie has proved to be a good signing. Hopefully he keeps those levels up in the second half of the season when he plays.

I'll also add:
Player of the season- Alan Hutton.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 12:08:11 AM »
As expected so far in terms of dross performances, league position and average players doing shifts in poor tactics. So, keep Vlaar and Delph till the summer. Let them leave for free. We've more chance of staying up or pushing on with them in the squad till the summer. Just keep Benteke till the summer too. We should have enough for another 15th place finish and a mind knumbing few months under Lambert.

Let's not, judging by how none of them have signed a new contract, they want to leave. Sell them for as much as possible in Jan.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
I'd sell Vlaar,just because of his injury record and we actually have a few options on defence now.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 12:34:12 PM »
We're on course for 42 points which will be out best total since 2010/11. I don't know whether that counts as a positive.

Other than the freakish start (which still included obligatory surrender to lower league opposition) this season has been like most of Lambert's reign. Appalling results and performances punctuated by very occasional positivity. I'm fed up.

Offline WestleyArmsAV

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »
Paul has worked miracles given where we are and our shocking goals for, even with our main scorer missing most of season.

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 12:40:01 PM »
Paul has worked miracles given where we are and our shocking goals for, even with our main scorer missing most of season.

Who's fault is the shocking goals for?

Offline WestleyArmsAV

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »
Benteke injured, suspended. How many points are Liverpool and Everton ahead if us with the money they've spent?

Online Clampy

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
Benteke injured, suspended. How many points are Liverpool and Everton ahead if us with the money they've spent?

We can't and shouldn't be relying on Benteke though, because one day he'll be gone.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »

We can't and shouldn't be relying on Benteke though, because one day he'll be gone.

There's always Weimann, who Lambert keeps playing, and out of position.

Mind you:

One if the worst forwards I've seen.

Offline WestleyArmsAV

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »
I agree I don't understand why he persists with him.

Offline WestleyArmsAV

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »
Mind you, why does did Rodgers pay 16m for balotelli.

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »

OK so Benteke's missed a part of the season. We've hardly looked prolific when he's played either have we? You fully acknowledge our shocking goals for but Lambert's never at fault for anything in your eyes. As I said in another thread when does he start to get the blame? What's the tipping point? We could be bottom of the league with no wins but you'd say "he's doing fantastic, we've drawn a couple, we haven't lost every game 8-0 (which wasn't his fault either) ILWT"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal