collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Delph's dismissal  (Read 17399 times)

Offline Big Dick Edwards

Re: Delph's dismissal
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »
If an opposition player did that to one of our boys we'd all be demanding a red card. Delph's always been a red card waiting to happen with his clumsy and aggressive lunges.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2014, 07:33:23 PM »
If an opposition player did that to one of our boys we'd all be demanding a red card. Delph's always been a red card waiting to happen with his clumsy and aggressive lunges.
I guess that what makes it more annoying is that when we're on the receiving end of similar tackles (Verthongen and Chadli against Spurs being the obvious ones) then we haven't seen the same results.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 07:38:03 PM »
Clear Red.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »
if someone can put up the Konchesky red then you'll see they are both the same. Konchesky got nothing for his in the end but it should have been yellow. In my opinion Delph's challenge is no different in that it is equally wreckless, and unlike Konchesky he didn't follow up on the victim by taunting him.

They were not the same, in the Konchesky / Hutton melee there was forehead to forehead stuff, taunting (as you said) and general argy bargy. You can't just pretend that didn't happen, because it did.

not to mention running to the ref from both sides and general outbreaks of pushing and shoving. Those shouldn't affect the ref's decision, but they do, you can't just pretend they didn't happen.

Konchesky got sent off for the foul. The afters didn't help in fact Hutton could have gone also for being stupid. My point very specifically was the challenge and it is the reason Konchesky was sent off.

On a different note, was Delph utterly stupid for going in like that? Well off course and he ran the risk that the ref's decision that followed was not going to be lenient.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 07:39:19 PM »
Bad tackle for sure but surprised the ref went for the red card.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 07:42:44 PM »
if someone can put up the Konchesky red then you'll see they are both the same. Konchesky got nothing for his in the end but it should have been yellow. In my opinion Delph's challenge is no different in that it is equally wreckless, and unlike Konchesky he didn't follow up on the victim by taunting him.

They were not the same, in the Konchesky / Hutton melee there was forehead to forehead stuff, taunting (as you said) and general argy bargy. You can't just pretend that didn't happen, because it did.

not to mention running to the ref from both sides and general outbreaks of pushing and shoving. Those shouldn't affect the ref's decision, but they do, you can't just pretend they didn't happen.

Konchesky got sent off for the foul. The afters didn't help in fact Hutton could have gone also for being stupid. My point very specifically was the challenge and it is the reason Konchesky was sent off.

On a different note, was Delph utterly stupid for going in like that? Well off course and he ran the risk that the ref's decision that followed was not going to be lenient.

The thing is, though, if you are talking about whether or not Konchesky should have been sent off, you can't just ignore all the other shite and focus on the challenge alone - it might have been in the ref's report that it was for the challenge, but the red card came out after the challenge, then the taunting, then the players from both sides laying into each other, and after the head to head between the two players concerned.

If you want to look at one tackle versus the other in terms of which was worse, then yes, you could do that - although to be honest, I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference as both those challenges were well within the area where a ref could go either way and a red can quite easily be shown - I just don't think you can focus on the issue of whether they really deserved reds based purely on the challenges alone, because it wasn't just the challenges which influenced the referee.

Konchesky got his rescinded.

Do you reckon Delph will? I don't.

Either way, it was a truly fucking brainless challenge. That's one of the things I hate most about this Villa side, the sheer fucking brainlessness in evidence, week after week.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2014, 07:43:11 PM »
Delph has always been a walking yellow / red card. It's why he won't make it in international or CL football, he'd be off every other game

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »
Hopefully Delph can master the art of a forward pass whilst he's suspended.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »
Delph has always had this class of thing in his locker, to use pundit-speak, but he seemed to have it under control in the spell before his injury.

Today he was out of sorts and clearly frustrated about something. 

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2014, 08:08:16 PM »

I don't think we would to be honest .The only way I would be asking a Red for that would be if we had just received a red for a terrible decision like that.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »
Didn't think it was a foul at the time. Then again, was concentrating on not spilling my Bovril and had only just got back to my seat so wasn't really concentrating.

Seeing it again, definite red.

We were unlucky with the Gabby dismissal but really need to stop the stupid sendings off now, getting beyond a joke.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2014, 08:24:43 PM »
Yellow tops.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2014, 08:25:21 PM »
Came up from the Holte bar 5mins late so missed this, seeing it now it's prob a soft red/harsh yellow. In all fairness I don't care, Delph is a fucking tool who thinks he is better than us in the same way Downing did. He will be a squad player at Liverpool/Spurs and will end up back at this level when he doesn't make it. We're not going down, I would rather send him packing in jan for 5m and recall Gary Gardner

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
that's a red for me. late and high

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »
that's a red for me. late and high

High? At the point of contact Delph's heel is touching the floor.

It wasn't two footed, it wasnt from behind, it wasn't high, there was no malice. Yes he caught his ankle but it was a genuine challenge that he mistimed.

I think a few views are being affected by his refusal to sign a new contract.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal