collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Andy Blair  (Read 1467 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Andy Blair
« on: December 24, 2014, 02:39:48 AM »
Best wishes to Ross and the family.

Former Aston Villa star Andy Blair star faces an uncertain Christmas – as his oldest son battles for life after a brain tumour operation.

Andy’s life was turned upside down in February by the shock ­diagnosis of 28-year-old son Ross’ aggressive tumour.

Although Ross has had a major operation, radiotherapy and is now undergoing chemo, he faces an ­increasingly life-or-death battle.

His survival ­prospects are rated just 50-50.

“The way Ross has faced the battle has been a beacon for others,” said Andy, who was in the Villa squad which beat Bayern Munich 1-0 to win the 1982 European Cup, and the team which beat Barcelona 3-1 to lift the European Super Cup in 1983.

“But no matter how positive he is, it is horrible for ­everybody else. That’s when you realise what ­sleepless nights are.

“Football is easy, as is every other part of life, by comparison to your children being diagnosed and suffering this kind of ­situation, which is awful.”

Ross is a patient at Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital and starts his fifth course of chemotherapy on New Year’s Eve.

But he refuses to feel sorry for himself and his fortitude has also lifted wife Holly Matthews, who used to be in TV’s Byker Grove, and their two children.

“A cancer like this is an unfortunate natural occurrence,” he said.

“I am not scared. I don’t have any fear.

“I am hoping the next set of MRI results will show a reduction in the size of the tumour.

“Physically, with the side-effects of chemotherapy, it takes its toll but my family and friends have really rallied around.

“I actually feel lucky. I see it as a ­challenge – you just deal with it.

“But I would say to everyone: if you have something in your life stressing you out, try to get it cleared up.”

Good news would be a welcome boost to the tight-knit Blair family, which also includes mum Dionne, sister Ashley, and Ross’ children Brooke and Texas.

Football runs in the Blair blood.

Andy also played for Coventry City in the late 1970s and early 80s, and now owns a sports and schoolwear store in Coundon, while Ross’s brother Matty currently plays in League Two.

Matty helped Fleetwood to promotion in the League Two play-off final in May – drawing on his brother’s brave attitude for motivation – and recently joined League Two Cambridge on loan.

“As a family we try to pull each other through,” said Matty.

“Ross’s illness and attitude have made me a better player.”

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
Re: Andy Blair
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »
Thoughts go out to him and his family, hope they get the outcome they crave.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal