collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Squad Changes  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
January Squad Changes
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »
I know we have a rumour thread but thought it might be useful to discuss what needs to happen transfer wise to shape the squad further.

January is always notoriously troublesome, so the managers tell us, so I don't think much will happen, but for me we need a change creatively. N'Zogbia hasn't come back from his injury with any conviction and looks poorer than before. I think if we can invest in a creative outlet as a replacement we would be all the better for it. I would use the Cleverley money, as you could buy good quality on the continent for £7million.

Does anybody know when Charlie's contract is up?

Going the other way, if somebody comes in for Vlaar, he can go. I always thought and hope Okore was a good player and he is currently proving it. I was surprised by Senderos and I want to applaud Clark for really stepping up to the plate. Vlaar is no leader.

Any other thoughts?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
Re: January Squad Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:03:05 PM »
I doubt we will do any incoming deals in Jan .

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »
Cant we unleash the mods of hell on these spammers before worrying about our squad?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
Would like to see Delph made captain and signed to a long term deal as the top priority.

Apart from that, a January window similar to the time we got Carew in for Baros and signed Ashley Young would be very welcome. 10 league goals at this stage of the season is an embarrassment. I see us requiring strengthening in the following three areas:

Goalscoring box to box midfielder
Mobile centre forward capable of playing off Benteke or even replacing him long term
Wide forward that is an upgrade on Gabby and Weimann

I guess Cleverley will continue to be given chances in the first role as the loan is for the season. That one might require change in the summer. I wouldnt mind seeing Bacuna given a few games there as he does have great energy and can score goals as witnessed last season. With Sanchez as the anchor midfielder, hopefully Delph can push further forward too.

Danny Ings to me is the player we should be going all out for in Jan for the second position. Just think he is the perfect fit for us, reminds me of a young Robbie Keane in his play.

The third is a bit trickier. We and lots of other clubs will probably be linked with the likes of Valencia, Young, Lennon, Joel Campbell and Townsend. Wouldnt mind seeing us spending big money on the likes of Dimitri Payet (Marseilles) as a statement of intent. But that is highly unlikely.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »
Unfortunately we have that donkey N'zogbia till 2016.

I'd be looking at ditching the ''4-3-3'' tactic firstly as we've done shit at it, go too defensive and have Gabby and Wiemann spending most of the game tracking back.

If we have no money Januzaj could be worth a loan gamble to help in the attacking Mid department. I'd be sending back Cleverley and looking to get a better quality partner for Benteke.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »
If we had an actual attacking midfielder we might be less shit at 4-3-3. However, it appears that the UN has declared Bodymoor Heath a Playmaker-Free-zone (PFZ), seeing as that's the only possible explanation as to why we haven't signed one in ten years.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »
Cant we unleash the mods of hell on these spammers before worrying about our squad?

Hopefully all sorted now.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
If we had an actual attacking midfielder we might be less shit at 4-3-3. However, it appears that the UN has declared Bodymoor Heath a Playmaker-Free-zone (PFZ), seeing as that's the only possible explanation as to why we haven't signed one in ten years.

"Number tens, as I like to call them"

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »
Some stuff I've realised lately

Cleverley can go back. Has shown nothing to suggest he's worth that much money and is too similar to a player we already have.

Vlaar, I would keep if we could, but I wouldn't be too bothered if we lost him.

Delph, on the other hand, we should go all out to keep. He's easily one of our best players. I don't care if he's good enough to play elsewhere at this club or that, he's good enough to help us improve, so I want us to keep him.

re the centre backs. we've all laid into Clark in the past when we thought he deserved it, and it is only a handful of games, but him and Okore have been excellent.

I would be gutted to see them lose that opportunity to remain our starting pair there.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 08:41:03 PM »
Some stuff I've realised lately

Cleverley can go back. Has shown nothing to suggest he's worth that much money and is too similar to a player we already have.

Vlaar, I would keep if we could, but I wouldn't be too bothered if we lost him.

Delph, on the other hand, we should go all out to keep. He's easily one of our best players. I don't care if he's good enough to play elsewhere at this club or that, he's good enough to help us improve, so I want us to keep him.

re the centre backs. we've all laid into Clark in the past when we thought he deserved it, and it is only a handful of games, but him and Okore have been excellent.

I would be gutted to see them lose that opportunity to remain our starting pair there.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that but we need a player in the midfield that can control the game and dictate play.  Sanchez looks as though he can play the deep role but we need somebody further up the pitch.  We have needed such a player for years.  Westwood is too lightweight and lacks quickness off the mark to create space

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 03:31:11 PM »

Still can't quite believe he said that. And.... then didn't sign one!

Offline supertom

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »
For me we need to start looking at more quality in midfield. Sanchez is fine. Delph is quality but probably going. So he'll need replacing. I don't think Westwood or Cleverley are good enough.

Gabby, Weimann and Zogbia should all be replaced with better. They're supposed to be the ones creating things but aren't good enough. We need a good winger and a good playmaker.

I think we need at least 4 good players in the next couple of windows. The priority for Jan is a quality midfielder, and a quality attacking play who can play across the top.

Offline dekko

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 09:37:35 PM »
I think we need at least 4 good players in the next couple of windows. The priority for Jan is a quality midfielder, and a quality attacking play who can play across the top.

This is the big one for me.  Broadly speaking I think the current squad would be good enough to finish comfortably mid table if it weren't for the chronic lack of creativity.  Get in someone who can unlock a defence or beat his man and deliver a decent cross and even Gabby and Andi might start performing.

Longer term we'll need to look at the above plus replacements for Delph and Benteke, upgrades on the entire midfield except Sanchez, and better wide forwards.  As far as January is concerned though, we need a 10, fast, and the rest can wait.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »

I must be the only one who isn't shocked by calling a play maker a number 10. I have heard plenty of people inside and outside the game call a player a number 10. What is the problem?

If he had used the term trequartista then I could understand. That is the lexis of choice for sockless espadrille wearing, carrot bottom jeaned, [usually] Arsenal supporting twats who take their iPads to games so they can take pictures when a corner is being taken. ******.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:39:32 AM by Ads »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 09:50:17 AM »

I must be the only one who isn't shocked by calling a play maker a number 10. I have heard plenty of people inside and outside the game call a player a number 10. What is the problem?
It's nothing to do with his use of the term, it's the fact that he's cushioned it with the implication that he was using some secret footballing tactical lingo.

Had he just said "we need to sign a number-10 style player" then nobody bats an eyelid at what he says.

He says "we need to sign the type of player that I like to call a number-10", then he looks a bit silly. To me and clearly to several others, at least.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal