collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Juan Pablo calls it a day  (Read 6202 times)

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
Re: Juan Pablo calls it a day
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 12:04:41 AM »
Loved him whilst he was here. Gave me some of my favourite Villa memories growing up, shame we couldn't win the League Cup that year :(

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 01:21:59 AM »
In terms of pure technique, our best forward this century. Only Kevin Phillips comes close in that respect although we have had more productive forwards due to greater pace, size or work rate.

Online Mellin

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 02:19:24 AM »
The Coventry goal aside he was rubbish whenever I saw him, his performance at St James Park stood out in it's awfulness and I still shudder at the thought of the 10,000 word essay pointing out I was wrong and he was the bestest footballer in the world from his number one fan. He was a poor Simon Stainrod that day. Yes, that bad.

What a strange post. I'd suggest you didn't see him often enough.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 06:41:32 AM »
The Coventry goal aside he was rubbish whenever I saw him, his performance at St James Park stood out in it's awfulness and I still shudder at the thought of the 10,000 word essay pointing out I was wrong and he was the bestest footballer in the world from his number one fan. He was a poor Simon Stainrod that day. Yes, that bad.
All I can say is you couldn't have seen him play very often. His struggles with adapting to life in the UK are well documented but after his first year I thought he was very good for us.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »
Good luck in your new ventures Juan Pablo. I enjoyed watching you as a Villa player.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 09:01:26 AM »
Cant believe no-one has mentioned the Chelsea goal yet...

Online tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 09:22:53 AM »
I remember that Chelsea goal so well, had spent the entire time before the game talking about how poor we thought Gavin Mccann was, luckily JPA banished that chat with his incredible goal. I wasn't at the Southampton game but that sort of goal is just so lovely to watch, it's the kind of quick thinking and passing around the box that absolutely cuts teams apart.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
Seemed like a lovely bloke, who genuinely cared about Villa even after he'd left.

Cult-Hero, rather than Legend really.

Took a while for his first Villa goal, but it was worth the wait (against Coventry).

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »
Good player but like many we have seen down VP in the last 20 years could be very inconsistent. Happy retirement JPA though you deserve it.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »
All I can say is you couldn't have seen him play very often.

Well, Chris did say rubbish "whenever I saw him", rather than just "rubbish" full stop so that's possibly true.

There's a limit to how rubbish a player can be, though, if he has a 23 goal season for you. Surely that rules out any accusations of Stainrodism?

Offline supertom

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »

Well, Chris did say rubbish "whenever I saw him", rather than just "rubbish" full stop so that's possibly true.

There's a limit to how rubbish a player can be, though, if he has a 23 goal season for you. Surely that rules out any accusations of Stainrodism?
I think he'd have hit over 20 had he played the full season in Gregory's final year (and had he seen out the full season). SGT seemed to drop JPA pretty quickly when he took over.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »

Stainrod scored 21 in a season for us despite not signing until the end of September.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
Being awkward, I found myself not liking Angel as much as I should have due to the ridiculous amount of internet fawning and the endless excuses made for him.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »

Garbage.

Sorry Rotterdam, I'm sure you're aware of the matches I saw him play so if you could just remind me which were the performances that stood out. Apart from the one at St James Park.

Ta.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
Being awkward, I found myself not liking Angel as much as I should have due to the ridiculous amount of internet fawning and the endless excuses made for him.

That's pretty much how I felt. That bloody Ryu bloke is to blame.

As paulie pointed out it was the matches I saw him play in where he was underwhelming but if people want to twist my words then fill your boots. Every single match I've seen involving Messi 'live' he's scored 4 goals each time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal