collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: West Bromwich Albion v Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread  (Read 29967 times)

Offline J

Re: West Bromwich Albion v Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2014, 11:49:09 PM »
I don't remember the Albion fans disrespecting the 19th minute applause.  The only ones I remember were the ignorant brummies reds?

At their place there was a lot of booing and jeering. I also saw two fully grown men patting their heads making the 'slaphead' gesture.

It will interesting to see their reaction should a Villa player go down with a head injury tomorrow.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2014, 12:02:35 AM »
Sanctimonious, Self-righteousness ,Sanctimoniousness, whingeing , Shites , Blackcountry....just finished the express&star crossword.

Good luck tomorrow lads.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2014, 04:38:05 AM »
I feel a win coming on. Three on the trot? Make it happen.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »
I don't remember the Albion fans disrespecting the 19th minute applause.  The only ones I remember were the ignorant brummies reds?
In the 2-2 at smethwick season before last they were booing during the 19th minute . Absolute wankers .

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2014, 09:13:45 AM »
Not to mention that more than a few of them, judging by the sheer amount of times it cropped up across different forums and social media, liked to accuse Villa fans of mawkish hypocrisy over Stan. Their accusation went as follows; you boo'd him when he was fit and able, why are you clapping him now that he has cancer?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »
I think a few acted like twats, a few applauded, the vast majority didn't know what was going on.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »
At the church I used to go to as a kid there was an Albion fan so thick (even by their standards) that he wouldn't know the result of a game he had been to the day before. Hopefully he'll be celebrating a home win today.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
First half draw and Villa run out 1-3 winners 2nd!!  Good odds at St William. Benteke and Gabby to score.

Offline Tuco Salamanca

« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2014, 11:57:26 AM »
Interesting stuff in FourFourTwo (apols if someone has beaten me to this)

Leicester were so bad that it's difficult to know whether this seemingly new approach will work against anyone else but it's certainly nice to see us try and play out from the back.

Okore is going to be some player I think and he could make a huge impact on the way we play.

Spoiler for Hiden:
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-little-faith-could-see-villa-dominate-west-brom

When Alan Hutton's strike hit the back of the net last weekend, a ray of sunlight burst through the dark clouds hovering ominously over Villa Park (metaphorcially, at least...). It was the first goal in front of the Holte End since April, and as the match-winner, catapulted Villa into 11th.

More significantly, Villa showed tentative signs of developing into a decent passing unit. The key battle this weekend, therefore, will be against themselves. Do they have the courage to try to dominate possession at The Hawthorns?

With 65% possession and 477 passes against Leicester, Villa's fluidity and overall attacking intent was as comforting as it was remarkable for their fans. After a mixed start to the season, the introduction of Tom Cleverley's movement and incisive play was a significant improvement from Villa's usually direct style. The former Manchester United man worked well alongside Ashley Westwood's calm distribution from the base of midfield.

However, the real difference for Villa was the return of centre-back Jores Okore who, after a 14-month layoff, made his fifth league appearance for the club. His composure in possession (87.7% pass accuracy), set the standard for the team's ball retention.

This weekend's opponents West Brom are dispossessed 13.9 times per match (the second-highest average in division), and bemoan a 78% pass-completion rate. If Villa show more courage than they have done previously, they could easily dominate the game.

Of the last 10 goals West Brom have conceded, meanwhile, 7 have been from high crosses. Villa may be tempted to launch the ball to Christian Benteke, but if they show belief in their own ability they will find a much better strategy for winning this match.

2-0; CB x 2

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »
Can somebody explain what the point of this campaign/applause is? I get that it's for Justice for Jeff but what are they hoping to come of Justice for Jeff?

I think they are trying to raise awareness of the possible causal  linkage of heading a football and brain damage.
Not sure how much they are taking into account the modern day football in comparison to the old leather ball.
Its not like the current and proven link between American Football concussion and helmet use.
Like you I am a bit unclear on what the objective is unless they are going to start suing the game like lots of ex NFL players are now doing over here.

Why use the word "Justice" then?  Also why just limit it to Jeff Astle when even the family say that other former players were inflicted.  Without wishing to sound unkind or disrespectful, I still don't get it really.

Contrast that to Stan talking about the 19th minute applause on Russell Howard's show.  He said that while he was going through dark times, hearing that applause gave him a real lift.  I can only speak for myself, but that is exactly the reason why I applauded. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal