collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Clarke. New Assistant Manager this week?  (Read 15864 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Steve Clarke. New Assistant Manager this week?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »
The only downside to Clarke coming in is if we start to improve and he gets offered a managerial role on the back of it, we'll be back to square one again. That's the only downside though because he is a decent training ground coach by all accounts.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »
If things start to improve Clarke wouldn't get offered the manager's role as it would be taken that the Lambert/Clarke combo was working. It would be only if things didn't improve that Clarke would become a threat, as at Liverpool when Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier shared the manager's responsibility for a while.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 02:44:38 PM »
The only downside to Clarke coming in is if we start to improve and he gets offered a managerial role on the back of it, we'll be back to square one again. That's the only downside though because he is a decent training ground coach by all accounts.

You could say that about any manager/coach/player. If they do well someone else will want them.

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »
Let's not re-write history here. His record as manager of West Brom was ok:

From                 To                           G   W   D   L   Win %
8 June 2012   14 December 2013   59   19   14   26   32.20

I'd welcome him as a coach, but not as a future manager, We need to be thinking a bit more creatively than Steve Clarke

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 02:48:54 PM »

I'd welcome him as a coach, but not as a future manager, We need to be thinking a bit more creatively than Steve Clarke

As we'd be hiring him as a coach there isn't much to worry about. I also don't see any re-writing of history as pretty much everyone has said he's a good coach, average manager.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »
We desperately need a football man at the club and Clarke is certainly that. He'd certainly bring Villa into the 21st century. Only downside is he may also be the man to save Lambert's bacon.

but what happens TSOV if they sizzle like Bacon and Eggs al la Shaw and Withe style :)   surely we will all be happy ?

Lambert's more your lard fried bread than something as delicious as bacon. Even if Clarke gets the team playing well, I'm guessing Lambert will still want to give the half time talk.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 03:13:28 PM »
Well, Mourinho genuinely rates him as a coach, so that bodes well.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »

Ah, but he wasn't manager there, was he? West Brazil are far too sophisticated to employ such an outdated idea.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »

As we'd be hiring him as a coach there isn't much to worry about. I also don't see any re-writing of history as pretty much everyone has said he's a good coach, average manager.

Indeed, Mr Shin. Clarke as coach as won two league titles, two League Cups and an FA Cup as well as taking Newcastle to the final. Even at little West Brom, as manager he took them up to 8th, their highest league finish in almost 1,274 years.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »
Slight aside but I saw Alan irvine desperately trying to park yesterday round the back of the north stand at about 350 pm. I tried to direct him back out towards the Witton rd exit but he was having none of it.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »
Well in my opinion, despite yesterday, Lambert is still a poor manager but Steve Clarke is an excellent coach with a CV to prove it. Well thought of by the top class players he has coached in the past. Get him in quick.

Offline supertom

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2014, 05:01:46 PM »
He'd be an excellent appointment. Can he just stick to coaching now that he's had the top job? Not sure. He would make more difference than Roy Keane. I would say his expertise is more in helping to mould a solid and organised side. That may not necessarily translate into making us better to watch, or less defensive. 

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2014, 05:03:21 PM »
It'd be quite funny if we appointed him to be able to point out to Baggies fans that someone who was good enough to be their Manager (or Head Coach or whatever it is this week) is only good enough to be assistant to Lambert at a big club.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 05:07:35 PM »
Are there actually any reports of this happening or just Twitter etc?

Offline Liam_Baggies

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 06:26:06 PM »
He has a good reputation as a coach, and was harshly sacked by Albion when the bullet came. Would be a very interesting one, and much more of a threat to Lambert than Keane ever was I reckon.

He wasn't harshly sacked at all - he had won something like 7 of his last 41 and performances were getting worse each week.

Apart from the opening three months which were really enjoyable the rest of his tenure was bloody awful.

He then did himself no favour when he questioned the board (which I agreed with).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal