collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Getting the message across  (Read 10903 times)

Offline ez

Re: Getting the message across
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »
Will we be useless on the wings again?

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2014, 07:04:02 PM »
I'm not sure we could do anything, to be honest. I like the idea that there's a groundswell of like-minded people who feel strongly enough to stop attending, make banners etc, but I think it's tiny in comparison to the people that go every week, come what may, because of routine, or commitment, or because it's just what they do - go and watch the football. And hard as it is to believe, there are groups of people that go because it's a treat - I would say three out of the last four times I've been to Villa, I've been sat near what's obviously an organised trip for some students or an extended family.

My opinion on it is that any co-ordinated protest is best served when the attendance already plays into the hands of the hardcore disaffected: a midweek game against some relegation fodder (we can't play ourselves, unfortunately) or a televised game when the attendance will be reduced because of it. If you want to make your voice heard you need to ensure you're not lost in the sea of largely passive spectating. Although vicious, the atmosphere at the Bolton McLeish game was hard to deny. I've rarely heard a body of people so furious.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2014, 07:11:56 PM »

My opinion on it is that any co-ordinated protest is best served when the attendance already plays into the hands of the hardcore disaffected: a midweek game against some relegation fodder (we can't play ourselves, unfortunately) or a televised game when the attendance will be reduced because of it. If you want to make your voice heard you need to ensure you're not lost in the sea of largely passive spectating. Although vicious, the atmosphere at the Bolton McLeish game was hard to deny. I've rarely heard a body of people so furious.

My son and I were in the Upper Trinity that night - when the Holte's chanting began we stood and joined in but the majority in the Holy Trinity sat stony faced. When it reached a crescendo angry words were exchanged  and tempers were fraying when the final whistle went (well it did take us 87 minutes + 19 matches to lose it) and then it all sort of ebbed away even though the damage for TSM was done...

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2014, 07:14:14 PM »
I don't think it's tiny, the saints home game last season 35,134
This season 10,000 less

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2014, 08:31:14 PM »
I don't think it's tiny, the saints home game last season 35,134
This season 10,000 less

I do appreciate that, but last season the home game was on a Saturday afternoon, whereas this season it was a televised game on a Monday night. That may not account for a drop of ten thousand in the gate, but it would have had a significant effect.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »
Well the saints game last season when we got 35k followed a horrendous run
Stoke h 1-4
Yanited a 1-4
Fulham h 1-2
Palace a 0-1

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2014, 08:51:25 PM »
I think the Southampton game being televised and on a Monday night is in the same category as the gastroenteritis bug.   Too convenient a cop out not to use.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2014, 09:04:51 PM »
We should organise a pigeon vasion

Pun winner.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2014, 10:24:13 PM »
Banner of some sort. 'Spend some fucking money'.

Need to be pre-fixed with 'get a new manager and then.....'

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2014, 10:28:36 PM »
Banner of some sort. 'Spend some fucking money'.

Need to be pre-fixed with 'get a new manager and then.....'
absolutely. Do we really wasn't Lambert spending more brass on our behalf.
The plan should be for a Lambert exit ASAP and some cash for a decent new manager to spend in January.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »
Honestly if we can't top the Blackburn chicken protest then we shouldn't bother.

I loved the suggestion by the Football Ramble that it was actually put out by Venky's themselves to taunt the fans with a "new signing".

Good times, good times.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal