collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Getting the message across  (Read 10890 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Getting the message across
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2014, 10:57:48 AM »
When Ellis ran the club he cared what people thought of him and the club. He lived and breathed it. He would have been far too embarrassed to allow this to continue and the financial impact would also have been to great.

Lerner doesn't care about reputation, he's not here enough for it to affect him. It won't affect him financially either, the TV cash sees to that.

Bang on.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »
What the club have to sort out immediately is the backroom staff. They need to recruit two top quality assistants/coaches. I can never remember there being such a mess in that department, and it shows.
Will the new manager want them, he/she will want their own staff.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2014, 12:47:37 PM »
What the club have to sort out immediately is the backroom staff. They need to recruit two top quality assistants/coaches. I can never remember there being such a mess in that department, and it shows.
Will the new manager want them, he/she will want their own staff.

Maybe, but whats he going to do resign? lol

Edit: ah I see your point. Problem is Lambert's going nowhere
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:49:22 PM by WarszaVillan82 »

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2014, 03:27:28 PM »
When Ellis ran the club he cared what people thought of him and the club. He lived and breathed it. He would have been far too embarrassed to allow this to continue and the financial impact would also have been to great.

Lerner doesn't care about reputation, he's not here enough for it to affect him. It won't affect him financially either, the TV cash sees to that.

Doug's never been embarressed in his life!  But would he have done something about it?  We all know that  answer.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2014, 11:39:20 PM »
Guess the reality is after 13 games everything evens itself out by now and we are sat in our rightful position. It's probably about where we will end up after 38 games , although over the last 38 games haven't we only gathered 31 points ? That's relegation form.

At the risk of infecting every thread with the same post the hard (and very depressing) stats are.

In 50 games from the start of last season we've accumulated 49 points scoring 45
goals on our way to a goal difference of -31 (38 game average gives 37 points.)

The rolling 38 game total is 36 points with a goal difference of -30 (scored 32)

The 38 game prediction based on the last 19 games says 34 points with a goal difference of -38 scoring 22.

The 38 game prediction based on the last 10 games says 23 points with a goal difference of -50 scoring 11.

It's getting worse with no sign of improving.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 11:44:41 PM »

Bang on.

Unfortunately, I also agree with that. I am not making excuses or engaging in revisionism for Ellis in the slightest way, and there are areas where Lerner has been 10 times the chairman Ellis has, but I find it hard to believe Ellis would have put up with this dreadful, dreadful repeated failure like Lerner has, and I can't help thinking that is mostly about the fact that Lerner isn't really that arsed.

That doesn't make up for anything else Ellis did, but on that score, I think Drummond is right.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 11:49:33 PM »
Unfortunately, I also agree with that. I am not making excuses or engaging in revisionism for Ellis in the slightest way, and there are areas where Lerner has been 10 times the chairman Ellis has, but I find it hard to believe Ellis would have put up with this dreadful, dreadful repeated failure like Lerner has, and I can't help thinking that is mostly about the fact that Lerner isn't really that arsed.
I don't think it's so much that he's putting up with it; more that it's totally inconsequential.  Which, in a display of acumen which will surprise nobody, it really isn't if he wants to get a decent price for the club.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »
http://www.bndestem.nl/sport/nac/vak-g-blijft-eerste-kwartier-nac-fc-utrecht-leeg-uit-protest-video-1.4650423

This is how the NAC Breda fans reacted to their clubs slump in form last Saturday (You will have to use Google Translate for the Dutch). It was a particularly effective way to show their feelings - made bugger all difference to the result, but it got the point across

Offline levico

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 10:38:24 AM »
I think you're right - there is the basis of a reasonable side there when everyone is fit. It's the way they're not  being coached/motivated/led that's the problem. Talking of crowds, I vaguely remember going in the early 70s to a home game and sharing the ground with about 8-11 thousand plus what seemed to be as many pigeons. Can't remember for the life of me who we were playing but I do remember the echo's. It was all very eerie.

I was at that match - I think we were playing Crystal Palace but I'm not certain.

Offline levico

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 10:41:47 AM »
Guess the reality is after 13 games everything evens itself out by now and we are sat in our rightful position. It's probably about where we will end up after 38 games , although over the last 38 games haven't we only gathered 31 points ? That's relegation form.

At the risk of infecting every thread with the same post the hard (and very depressing) stats are.

In 50 games from the start of last season we've accumulated 49 points scoring 45
goals on our way to a goal difference of -31 (38 game average gives 37 points.)

The rolling 38 game total is 36 points with a goal difference of -30 (scored 32)

The 38 game prediction based on the last 19 games says 34 points with a goal difference of -38 scoring 22.

The 38 game prediction based on the last 10 games says 23 points with a goal difference of -50 scoring 11.

It's getting worse with no sign of improving.

Good stats but the one that bothers me is our form over the past 9 games. On the basis on 3 points from every 27 we would end the season on 22 points.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 11:28:16 AM »
I know it's all ifs and buts, however if benteke didn't lose his head the other week we win that game and we were close and should have seen out saints and burnley , that's another 7 points we'd have and we'd be joint 6th.
I'm not sure myself though if we are a million miles away or close to getting a good team.

I think there's some truth in this.  The run of games we had (which we all expected to lose) totally knocked the stuffing out of us.  In that respect and the injures and Benteke's moment of madness I think Lambert has been unlucky.  However, I do agree the football we have been playing just isn't good enough.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
Maybe we could adopt the banner that saw O'Leary off - 'We like you, we just think you're crap'.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »
I know it's all ifs and buts, however if benteke didn't lose his head the other week we win that game and we were close and should have seen out saints and burnley , that's another 7 points we'd have and we'd be joint 6th.
I'm not sure myself though if we are a million miles away or close to getting a good team.

I think there's some truth in this.  The run of games we had (which we all expected to lose) totally knocked the stuffing out of us.  In that respect and the injures and Benteke's moment of madness I think Lambert has been unlucky.  However, I do agree the football we have been playing just isn't good enough.

It was a tough run of games, yes, but although we weren't expecting to win many of them, it would have been nice to have maybe scored a few goals, look a bit threatening, look like we were seriously trying to win the games.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 03:11:59 PM »
I think you're right - there is the basis of a reasonable side there when everyone is fit. It's the way they're not  being coached/motivated/led that's the problem. Talking of crowds, I vaguely remember going in the early 70s to a home game and sharing the ground with about 8-11 thousand plus what seemed to be as many pigeons. Can't remember for the life of me who we were playing but I do remember the echo's. It was all very eerie.

Are you suggesting a coup?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
Been thinking about this and I think the best way we the fans can "get the message across" is to fully support the team positively and in numbers. That way if things don't improve nobody can blame the negative , fickle fans. Which I'm sure some quarters would like to point fingers at.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal