collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Darren Bent joining Brighton on loan  (Read 22709 times)

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Re: Darren Bent joining Brighton on loan
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »
I was definitely hoping he'd stay where he was! I bet Lambert doesn't even play him!

I was hoping to see him in action with PNE at Yeovil next week!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2014, 09:59:25 PM »
How much have we paid Brighton to take him? Very pleased as they could do with the money and are a decent club. I'm off to Brighton for my birthday on Saturday so I'll pass on everyone's good wishes if I see him down the pub

Decent club ? I beg to differ ! They came after us for money when they realised Gareth Barry was going to be worth a few bob. Even the local Tory MP at the time got involved. A chap called Ivor Caplin, he sent me a right sarcastic reply when  I wrote to him about it. Something about I sounded like John Gregory !
Also they beat us a couple of times at least back in the 3rd division. Also they are from so far down south they may as well play in the French league.
No, dont like Brighton. Never have.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
At least he hasn't got far to go to have a cracking night out.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »
Ignaminous end to the Villa career of our record (likely not to be bettered for a generation) signing. One good 12 months in his four year stay... 

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
Good luck Darren.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
Good luck Darren! Will always be grateful for the goals that kept us up.

The fact that you look so out of shape now is more of an embarrassment to our back-room and coaching staff. What on earth are they doing?

He looked out of shape and half arsed during his time at Fulham too, it's his own responsibility to stay in shape. 

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
A top player allowed to turn shit. This club is in a right mess and the blame lies at Lambert's door. The bloke is utterly clueless.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 10:46:47 PM »
He lost it just before Lambert joined. To be fair to Lambert he had Bent pegged as busted from from day 1 and has been proven right.

A real shame but I remain grateful to Darren for keeping us up that season.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 10:53:10 PM »
He lost it just before Lambert joined. To be fair to Lambert he had Bent pegged as busted from from day 1 and has been proven right.

A real shame but I remain grateful to Darren for keeping us up that season.

Maybe not quite from day one or why give him the captain's arm-band initially? He was quick to realise that Bent was no longer what he once was though.

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2014, 12:56:05 AM »
Bent in Brighton who would have thought that ;) ;) ;) hello sailor

Grow up or evolve

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 01:11:08 AM »
A top player allowed to turn shit. This club is in a right mess and the blame lies at Lambert's door. The bloke is utterly clueless.
You can blame Lambert for a lot of things but surely not for the fact that Bent has aged, slowed, put on weight. He only did one thing in his prime, score goals and can't do that anymore. Huttons return shows what can happen if you stay motivated, Bent clearly hasn't.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2014, 01:18:09 AM »
An enigma almost from the start. Him at £18 million was "overpriced" yet in the same window £50 million for Torres and £35 million for Andy Carroll were perfectly fine. He ht the ground running, scored goals at a rate we hadn't seen since Andy Gray at his peak, yet for some reason he was never idolised by our supporters like he should have been. What was even stranger was that somehow, during his first summer, we started saying he cost too much as well. He was always about to be sold, right up until the injury which in hindsight ruined his career. And if he hadn't got injured we would probably have finished a few places higher up the league and McLeish may well have stayed. The best natural goalscorer England could boast, finished at thirty. 

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2014, 01:25:04 AM »
If he had scored the same amount of goals in a Villa team that finished top 6 or 7 he'd have probably be a hero but he didn't, he scored those goals in a very poor Villa team at the start of our decline. He joined us at the wrong time really.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2014, 02:01:26 AM »
If he had scored the same amount of goals in a Villa team that finished top 6 or 7 he'd have probably be a hero but he didn't, he scored those goals in a very poor Villa team at the start of our decline. He joined us at the wrong time really.

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure there would ever have been a right time for us to have signed Darren Bent. Somehow he has never seemed to be part of the furniture and I can't imagine that situation altering had he been part of a better side.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 02:07:14 AM »
never seemed to be part of the furniture

Sums it up perfectly. For some reason he never seemed to belong or was accepted here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal