collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir William Dugdale dies  (Read 8070 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Sir William Dugdale dies
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 12:21:23 AM »
RIP Sir William.

Cant be many of the board members from that era still alive now apart from Doug

Harry Kartz definitely, Don Bendall, maybe one or two others. Talking of which, whatever happened to proof-reading?

He was chairman of Villa from 1975 to 1982, the year the club enjoyed a 1-0 win over Bayern Munich to lift the European Cup. He was preceded and succeeded in office by his great soccer rival and friend, Sir Doug Ellis.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 04:32:20 AM »
Interesting story in the mail article, he was definitely a character. Funny they had a photo of the arc de triomphe in the office back then. I wonder what pictures randy and co have on their office wall these days?
Birmingham tip?

Offline steamer

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 05:05:19 AM »
I remember a story about Sir William,
After the L.C semi final with Q.P.R ended in a draw , we tossed a coin for choice of Venue for the replay, Q.P.R had some Cockney Sleazeball as Chairman, the ref tossed the coin, Sleazeball called heads (or tails I can not remember) but pounced on the coin as it landed calling, heads, heads before anyone else saw it.
Sir William intoned something like, " my dear fellow, if you say it is heads, then heads it must be " Villa class shinning through.
The replay was at Highbury and the Sleazeball got his come uppance.

I have a mental vision of Doug on the floor with the Sleazeball wrestling for the coin and shouting, "tails, tails"

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 05:11:59 AM »
If the coin came from doug's pocket it would've been on a bit string anyway

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »
I will admit to now knowing much about him, but he clearly is a very important figure in our history one way or the other.

RIP.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
Sir William became a Villa director in 1973 and chairman after Doug resigned the chair in 1975. He resigned from the board in 1978 and his last act of significance was to vote for the Bendalls at the EGM of 1979 where his shareholding was what won them the day. 

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »
I remember a story about Sir William,
After the L.C semi final with Q.P.R ended in a draw , we tossed a coin for choice of Venue for the replay, Q.P.R had some Cockney Sleazeball as Chairman, the ref tossed the coin, Sleazeball called heads (or tails I can not remember) but pounced on the coin as it landed calling, heads, heads before anyone else saw it.
Sir William intoned something like, " my dear fellow, if you say it is heads, then heads it must be " Villa class shinning through.
The replay was at Highbury and the Sleazeball got his come uppance.

I have a mental vision of Doug on the floor with the Sleazeball wrestling for the coin and shouting, "tails, tails"

I remember that story as well - didn't the coin roll under a bench and the QPR fella pulled it out saying they had won.

The Highbury semi was one of the best away days (night really) I have ever had.
Bunking off college with my mate, just catching the special at New Street, wandering the tube system lost as usual, no entrance money but fellow fans giving us a couple of quid, Sir Brian's hat trick etc etc.

Respect and RIP to a fellow Villa man

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 12:21:37 PM »
The rolling coin story all comes to back to me too, now, much talk about it in the Evening Mail, BRMB etc.
So with the 3 Wembley finals we must have played 6 matches in the last 2 rounds of that year's LC, not to mention a couple of weather related postponements of the semi?
We digress; RIP Sir William.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »
Managed to take a picture of him, when Villa beat (strange combination) Portsmouth. He changed 10 years younger when I asked to take a picture.

RIP - an important person for our club (good or bad).

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 03:10:45 PM »
Managed to take a picture of him, when Villa beat (strange combination) Portsmouth. He changed 10 years younger when I asked to take a picture.

RIP - an important person for our club (good or bad).

Good, without a doubt.

Offline LTA

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 05:43:15 PM »
Sir William became a Villa director in 1973 and chairman after Doug resigned the chair in 1975. He resigned from the board in 1978 and his last act of significance was to vote for the Bendalls at the EGM of 1979 where his shareholding was what won them the day.

The boardroom battles of the 70's seem almost as dramatic as anything on the field. 

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
The stories about the replayed semi in the League Cup at Highbury got me thinking.  I was there, I can remember the goals vividly and the noise our lot made but, for the life of me I cannot remember how the hell we got there.  Did we (mate and I) travel by car, train or coach? I just don't know.  The wife will be taking me to the toilet next.  Anyway, back on topic, RIP Sir William.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 09:58:53 PM »
The stories about the replayed semi in the League Cup at Highbury got me thinking.  I was there, I can remember the goals vividly and the noise our lot made but, for the life of me I cannot remember how the hell we got there.  Did we (mate and I) travel by car, train or coach? I just don't know.  The wife will be taking me to the toilet next.  Anyway, back on topic, RIP Sir William.

I also remember playing someone, I think it might have been QPR at Highfield road back in the late 70's in a cup competition, I remember being there can't recall the score or why it was played at a neutral ground

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »

I also remember playing someone, I think it might have been QPR at Highfield road back in the late 70's in a cup competition, I remember being there can't recall the score or why it was played at a neutral ground

Crystal Palace in 1978-79. League  Cup second replay.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 12:45:07 AM »
What I remember about that match was, John Burridge was in goal for Palace and his pre-match warm-up included one-handed press-ups.  Kenny Sansom the best thing since sliced bread was at full back for them too.  We still won.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal