collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 09:46:40 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:40:18 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 09:46:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 09:46:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:46:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:44:10 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:43:25 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:41:54 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ed into history  (Read 7862 times)

Online ez

Re: Press-ed into history
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
There were some great times under Ron. That season we finished second we were playing beautiful football. It's a pity it went wrong in the end. I remember Ron saying he was baffled by the poor form. In his book he reckons he would have turned it around but i'm not so sure.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 06:46:58 PM »
What's incredible about the league tables in their respective years is that in 1993 it was Man United, Villa, Norwich, Blackburn, QPR, Liverpool, Sheffield Wednesday. In 1996 it was Manchester United, Newcastle, Liverpool, Villa, Arsenal, Everton, Blackburn. In three years the big clubs were already moving into position and starting to kick the little ones out.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
What's incredible about the league tables in their respective years is that in 1993 it was Man United, Villa, Norwich, Blackburn, QPR, Liverpool, Sheffield Wednesday. In 1996 it was Manchester United, Newcastle, Liverpool, Villa, Arsenal, Everton, Blackburn. In three years the big clubs were already moving into position and starting to kick the little ones out.

And Chelsea were nowhere, they didn't start finding any kind of consistency until the Gullit/Vialli days in which they were fairly similar  to the then Sheff Wed, Leeds or Villa, winning cups and making top 6 without ever challenging seriously maintaining a title challenge yet getting a far higher media profile. And then Abramovich came and the rest is sadly history.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 07:08:50 PM »

And even that cup success was bought by Matthew Harding.

And Chelsea were nowhere, they didn't start finding any kind of consistency until the Gullit/Vialli days in which they were fairly similar  to the then Sheff Wed, Leeds or Villa, winning cups and making top 6 without ever challenging seriously maintaining a title challenge yet getting a far higher media profile. And then Abramovich came and the rest is sadly history.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 09:55:24 PM »
After finishing 4th in 1996 we, once again, missed the chance to invest big straight away and stay in there. Meanwhile other were planning to do exactly that.

Offline Fred

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »
As I said on a previous post BFR was a very popular manager and i remember asking my mate to confirm using Ceefax (internet of the day) if what i had heard was true. I remember somebody in the office telling me they had heard Villa had sacked Rowan Atkinson. I did not know wether to laugh or cry.

However rhe desicion was right as the team was growing older with the manager and a rot had set in for some time, the fact that BL came in and by 1996 we were 4th with another league cup under our belt proved Doug right.

My worry now is that there is no BL or a BL type of manager to come in and would the chairman be able to find a manager like that?

Those managers, like Sir Graham, found him. That's the biggest difference between Doug & Randy; the former had the knack of always coming up smelling of roses.

Thank god Sir Graham did find Doug and wanted the job, Reading about his time at the club he seemed to know how to work with and handle the chairman.

The only manager to ever best Doug.
[/quote)

I love the story of Doug walking to the dressing room with the door open for Sir Graham to then shut it before he could enter the dressing room. Great man and a great manager. If only England had waited for two more years before taking him as manager.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 02:22:32 PM »

I love the story of Doug walking to the dressing room with the door open for Sir Graham to then shut it before he could enter the dressing room. Great man and a great manager. If only England had waited for two more years before taking him as manager.

I'm convinced we'd have won the league, and he would have set the club up for the long-term in a way that Ron never could.

Offline Fred

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »

I'm convinced we'd have won the league, and he would have set the club up for the long-term in a way that Ron never could.

I agree. Ron got us up for the big games and we had a decent chance of winning the league under him in one season.
 I believe Sir Graham was a manager who built foundations at a club. A friend of mine had a chat with him in 2006 and he was refering to the club as "us" and "we". So his heart as well as his talent was truly in the Villa.

Offline supertom

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »

I agree. Ron got us up for the big games and we had a decent chance of winning the league under him in one season.
 I believe Sir Graham was a manager who built foundations at a club. A friend of mine had a chat with him in 2006 and he was refering to the club as "us" and "we". So his heart as well as his talent was truly in the Villa.
It's funny looking back to his second spell. Often thought of as a bit of disaster. That said in retrospect Gregory left at the right time (much like O Neill to be honest) and Taylor came in as a transitional man. I don't think either he or Doug particularly considered it would be anything much longer than what it was.
But he finished the season on 45 points. At that time it was bad. Compared to recent times, it doesn't look to shite to be honest. He also inherited an aging squad and a very limited budget.

Offline Fred

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 03:40:31 PM »

It's funny looking back to his second spell. Often thought of as a bit of disaster. That said in retrospect Gregory left at the right time (much like O Neill to be honest) and Taylor came in as a transitional man. I don't think either he or Doug particularly considered it would be anything much longer than what it was.
But he finished the season on 45 points. At that time it was bad. Compared to recent times, it doesn't look to shite to be honest. He also inherited an aging squad and a very limited budget.

I thought Doug offered him the role until the end of the season 2002 and Sir Graham said no i will take it full time. If that is true i am sure that was heart ruling head. I remember when he came back to the club and was so happy to have him back and sorry to see him leave.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »

I thought Doug offered him the role until the end of the season 2002 and Sir Graham said no i will take it full time. If that is true i am sure that was heart ruling head. I remember when he came back to the club and was so happy to have him back and sorry to see him leave.

He came back for two reasons: i) unfinished business and ii) he'd never had a proper crack at the Premier League. I don't suppose a £1 million a year towards his retirement was to be sniffed at either.

Possibly the only thing I disagree with Sir Graham about was when he left, and said he'd been surprised at how divided and Doug-centric the club was.  He would have already known that better than anyone. 

Offline Fred

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »

He came back for two reasons: i) unfinished business and ii) he'd never had a proper crack at the Premier League. I don't suppose a £1 million a year towards his retirement was to be sniffed at either.

Possibly the only thing I disagree with Sir Graham about was when he left, and said he'd been surprised at how divided and Doug-centric the club was.  He would have already known that better than anyone. 

Considering he was a non exec Director from 2001.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
I wonder how GT would have got on with MON if we'd had a football man like him on the board from 2006 onwards.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2014, 12:36:12 AM »
You forget the amount of big looping balls into the box we had when Little was the manager. Seems like a different world back then to me.

Wasn't Dean Saunders an absolute class act? Always seems to get overlooked by Villa fans for his contribution to the club, myself included. Watch any of those old matches though and he's always looking for the ball, battling for possession and more often than not providing a quality finish

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2014, 12:56:36 AM »
And very happy to be here from all accounts.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal