collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bankrupt Footballers  (Read 10201 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Bankrupt Footballers
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
I wonder if a big part of the problem is that after they retire they carry on with the same lifestyle they had as players, but are obviously not earning anywhere near the same money.

Offline supertom

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 05:25:06 PM »
I never have too much sympathy with bankrupt footballers, even the nicer guys who seemed as if they were sensible. It's a lot of not particularly bright young men earning a truckload of money and spunking it up the wall. It was actually our old boy J'Lloyd who probably ebbed away any last semblance of sympathy I could ever have for a footballer losing money. He was on MTV Cribs (or something similar once) showing off his gaff. It was disgustingly big but the interior decor was probably the worst thing you'll ever see in your life. Hideous. I kind of liked J'Lloyd up to that point. As soon as I saw his gaff, suddenly some of his less endearing on pitch qualities suddenly become twice as annoying.
Likewise Phil Nevilles imfamously gawdy mansion. Disgusting. No one with that hideous taste should have so much money. Ironically though if there's one footballer you'd fancy to be set for life and never have money trouble, you'd probably think of someone like Neville.

Offline supertom

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »
I wonder if a big part of the problem is that after they retire they carry on with the same lifestyle they had as players, but are obviously not earning anywhere near the same money.
There's probably a few who could easily spend it as quickly as they earned it.
Mike Tyson was a good example of that. The amount of money he shat away was incredible and he almost ended up penniless.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »

I believe that this is happening. That's cool
For this, I never know if you do not post it, I would not know.
And then I learned the most about it.

Er wise words mate.

Offline peter w

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 06:01:03 PM »
I saw Diego Costa's wages and I'm surprised at how relatively little he earns after tax.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
Assume player Joe Bloggs is *only* earning £20,000 p/w, he will lose approximately half of that in tax and NI (assuming Joe *doesn't* have a "creative accountant" to call on).
Their salary is PAYE, like any other employee. Tax and NI is deducted at source. No doubt all of their other earnings (endorsements and the like) would be dealt with by an accountant as you suggest, but there wouldn't be much scope to fiddle their normal wages.

The top players argue that some of their wages are image rights, but yes, other than that bang on.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 09:11:39 PM »
I saw Diego Costa's wages and I'm surprised at how relatively little he earns after tax.

Aren't you in immigration? Couldn't you keep him banged-up abroad unless he agreed to play for us?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 09:14:28 PM »

Do you think his misses gets tax credits

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
http://www.listentotaxman.com/

Just pretend you are a player on 40k a week and you can see the deductions ,23k after Tax

20k a week would leave you on just under 12k

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »
http://www.listentotaxman.com/

Just pretend you are a player on 40k a week and you can see the deductions ,23k after Tax

20k a week would leave you on just under 12k

We should have a whip round for the poor beggars

Offline Boz

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
It's all relative. The majority of the world's population would regard our minimum wage as untold riches.

This is why there are a few thousand people waiting in Calais to get to UK and of course our benefits system is also very enticing which is why they don't want to stay in France, Germany, Spain etc.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 03:17:32 PM »
It's all relative. The majority of the world's population would regard our minimum wage as untold riches.

This is why there are a few thousand people waiting in Calais to get to UK and of course our benefits system is also very enticing which is why they don't want to stay in France, Germany, Spain etc.

We've banned Christmas as well.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »
Never makes 'friends' with a builderwho convinces you to develop your property based on increasing prices and demand. Property development looks great from a builders pov but they have no scruples when it comes tomoney and if the demand drops and the rental does not pay for the new cost quite simply you are bankrupt even though you believed you were doing the right thing.Worst thing the builder won't buy you a pint down the pub and tells everyone how he made a fortune and you went bankrupt.
I can see James' problems.Once the income that sustained the lifestyle and outlay has gone trying to replace it with 'quick' profits from property stuffs you.
It is hard making money..never borrow more than you can afford to pay back in a month!!

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 05:51:31 PM »
If this hasn't been posted elsewhere, an article on the BBC web site has four footballers who have been declared bankrupt.

Three played for Villa - David James, Lee Hendrie and Eric Djemba Djemba.

Here's the link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29896728

Plus Brad Freidel and Nigel Spink.

3 goalkeepers ... hmmmmmmm

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 08:05:45 PM »
If this hasn't been posted elsewhere, an article on the BBC web site has four footballers who have been declared bankrupt.

Three played for Villa - David James, Lee Hendrie and Eric Djemba Djemba.

Here's the link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29896728

Plus Brad Freidel and Nigel Spink.

3 goalkeepers ... hmmmmmmm

Did they find it hard to save for a rainy day?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal