collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[April 24, 2024, 10:20:26 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Match of the Day  (Read 11663 times)

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
Re: Match of the Day & Brad Friedel
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 07:28:21 PM »
Only watched MOTD2 to see the sending off thing as I thought something different had happened to the way I saw it "live". It hadn't.

The issue for me isn't that Friedel used the "we" word - that's fair enough, they're his employers.
The issue is with WHAT he said...that Spuds needed a spark and that Mason provided that by pushing his head into Benteke's face and got him sent off....and as godzvilla says, added the "spice" to Spuds' game - ie studs-up tackles by Vertongen and Lamela that, according to Brad, were perfectly ok.
Disappointed in someone I liked as a player but has lost most of my respect by condoning underhand, violent and ironically "professional" tactics to get a fellow pro sent off.
Interesting that Graham Poll's Daily Mail article (sorry, a mate told me he'd seen it and suggested I read it) slams the ref's (Swarbrick) performance, stating that he lost the players' confidence in him, control of the game, should have sent off two Spuds' players and should report both sets of players for their conduct.

My consistent beef with this kind of thing is INCONSISTENCY: another ref would have sent Vertongen off, same for Lamela(?), and definitely Mason (who for his violent conduct had NO ACTION taken at all!!). So, this ref's actions tell players, coaches, fans that it's ok for one player to stick their head into another player's face and NO ACTION will be taken, studs up tackles are not a sending off offence after all (after refs telling us all that they are!) and it's perfectly ok to tell the ref to send another player off and that all that respect stuff is there to be ignored!
If the fourth official saw Benteke's hand he certainly saw Mason's head....so why no action? Which Brad thought was a great part of Spuds' plan.
He came across as more of a twat than me!
But, like Brad, I'm biased.
UTV! 

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
Isn't Friedel another has been keeper that's been declared bankrupt . I did respect him a lot but his comments on motd2 were so biased and incorrect .

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 12:34:30 AM »
I think Friedel is just another dull pundit that will pretty much sit on the fence or go with the flow. Dull

I think he's a good pundit actually, who expresses himself very well, and gives a good insight into the game.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 10:11:10 AM »
Haven't watched MOTD yet but I think Friedel is actually a cut above the rest when it comes to punditry. I thought he was excellent during the World Cup, when it struck me that (intelligent) goalkeepers have a lot to offer in analysing games as they tend to watch a lot of football, if you see what I mean.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 10:34:39 AM »
Haven't watched MOTD yet but I think Friedel is actually a cut above the rest when it comes to punditry. I thought he was excellent during the World Cup, when it struck me that (intelligent) goalkeepers have a lot to offer in analysing games as they tend to watch a lot of football, if you see what I mean.
On this point - has there ever been a goalkeeper turned manager?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 11:01:36 AM »

Peter Shilton for a bit at Plymouth.  Dino Zoff springs to mind as well.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »

Cheers

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
I thought it was odd having a current Spurs player as a pundit in the first place. And of course he wasn't going to say his team-mate should have been sent off. Danny Murphy did correctly state that both should have gone for the incident.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »

Dale Belford at Tamworth, but he was shit.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 01:49:57 PM »
Watched MOTD2 last night. Brad was ok apart from basically praising Mason for what he did. And having watched the incidents from the game on TV rather than a dodgy stream I came to the following conclusions. Benteke deserved his red. Mason should have gone for his role in it. Soldado should have gone, if one hand to the face is a red, I don't see how pushing another player in the chest (with a lot more force each time than Benteke used) three times isn't. Chadli should have gone for his challenge. Vertonghen (sp?) was borderline. I think a yellow was just about right. So, we should have been playing 8 men. Even we could get a result against 8!
Be nice to see retrospective action taken, but it won't be.

As a slight aside, why was Hart allowed to stick his face right in the ref's face in their game? And how the double foul penalty on Aguero wasn't given is beyond me. Fellaini made it obvious it was a pen with the look on his face as he looked at the ref.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »

Peter Taylor.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »

Peter Taylor.

Mike Walker

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 02:02:16 PM »
Nigel Adkins
Bryan Gunn

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 02:30:13 PM »