collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Match of the Day  (Read 11606 times)

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: Match of the Day & Brad Friedl
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »
I honestly can't watch stuff like MoTD when we have results like we have recently.

I don't even read the sports sections of the sunday papers, let alone watch any pundit-based nonsense on Sky.

The last three years or so, I've seen MoTD a handful of times. For obvious reasons.

I'm glad its not just me who is like this - I even stopped buying the local paper because I had to keep avoiding the Villa match reports. When Small Heath fluked that win at Wembley I went through the paper with a pair of scissors and systematically cut out every single mention of it and binned them before reading what was left.

Offline nigel

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »
I only watched the bit regarding the sending off and in fairness to Murphy he did say that the ref should have sent both off.
I may have misheard but he also said Chadli should have gone for his two footed lunge

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »
My point re Friedel ( clearly not shared by many )is that , as a Pundit , surely he should maintain a minimal amount of bias ?

Why should he?

When Dublin is on the panel he favours us. See him deciding that Petrov was going to win goal of the month a couple of seasons back to the bewilderment of the rest of the panel.

There are a lot of things to be annoyed about from yesterday's match - a Spurs player talking about a game that Spurs were playing in isn't particularly high up the list.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »
I honestly can't watch stuff like MoTD when we have results like we have recently.

I don't even read the sports sections of the sunday papers, let alone watch any pundit-based nonsense on Sky.

The last three years or so, I've seen MoTD a handful of times. For obvious reasons.

I'm glad its not just me who is like this - I even stopped buying the local paper because I had to keep avoiding the Villa match reports. When Small Heath fluked that win at Wembley I went through the paper with a pair of scissors and systematically cut out every single mention of it and binned them before reading what was left.

Same here, I can handle reading about us being shit with other Villa fans who are feeling the pain with me, but the snide joke comments on MOTD followed by something completely inaccurate or smug cockney newspapers trying to tell me Vertonghen didn't deserve to be sent of for his latest Villa Park assault pisses me off no end

Offline duddeston

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 06:34:06 PM »
Freidel is still a Spurs player so he's bound to refer to his present club as 'we'.

Same. He's a Spurs player so what's the problem?

He shouldn't be on there then.

Online Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Match of the Day & Brad Friedel
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
It wasn't the London bias that got me, it was the smug way he refused to condemn the "head butt" which as a senior player he could have done. He then compounded the situation by referring to it as adding a bit of energy to the team. Following that they went on to wax lyrical about Harry Kanes 15 minute appearance and the wonder goal he scored, no mention of the deflection, saying he can take all sorts of free kicks. Last night he came across as a bit of a tosser.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 07:37:09 PM »
It did take me a moment to realise that the 'we' he was referring to wasn't Aston Villa.  Oh Brad.....

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 12:31:32 AM »
Ably abetted by Brad Friedel & Danny Murphy ,the sycophantic  Mark Chapman managed to produce one of the most one sided reviews of a Game I have ever seen . Friedel said a few kind words about the Villa before he and his cohorts embarked on an in-depth review of Tottenham,s performance in which they managed to completely ignore Villa,s participation altogether and OTT praise of ' flavour of the month' ( in London )Harry Kane who,s 15 mins on the pitch and ' scoring' of a goal that came off a wicked deflection by Villa Defender , Baker , was apparently enough to make him ' Man of the Match' ?!.  Friedel , who had no shame in showing his bias by using " we " when referring to Spurs  , condoned the blatant ' in your face ' foul by Spurs midfielder , Mason that got Benteke sent off and stated that the previous provocative tactics by Spurs were the " spice" that Spurs needed .
So apparently Friedel believes  its ok to win by foul means then and get fellow Pro,s sent off (?) , I guess he learnt that at Tottenham ?, because he certainly did,nt learn it at Villa.  ……..Godzvilla!

Am I missing something about him?  On the few times I've seen him play, both on loan in the Championship and for Spurs, he's looked nothing more than a workmanlike striker, who seems a touch on the slow side.   

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 01:08:55 AM »
Didn't see it yesterday but normally Brad comes across as a balanced pundit with no bias and he did have some good times at Villa so cannot think he would have much of an axe to grind there. 

It could be that it was the producers who decided to focus more on Spurs than Chapman as the host.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 01:23:51 AM »
Brad has always been nothing but a pro. Went out of his way to thank us after he left. I don't blame him for being solidly behind his current team.

Also lets face it, a few weeks ago would we have really complained if Ali had waxed lyrical about Sendros roughing up Ballotelli?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 02:22:26 AM »
I think Friedel is just another dull pundit that will pretty much sit on the fence or go with the flow. Dull

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
Harry Kane - the latest saviour English football.

Offline stomper

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 09:31:04 AM »
I think Friedel was in a tough position and you could see he was challenged by it at times.

Spurs are his employer so he has to be supportive and can't be seen to criticize one of his peers even if he felt Mason should go.  I saw nothing wrong with anything he had to say giving that we all know his situation.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
I think Friedel was in a tough position and you could see he was challenged by it at times.

Spurs are his employer so he has to be supportive and can't be seen to criticize one of his peers even if he felt Mason should go.  I saw nothing wrong with anything he had to say giving that we all know his situation.

Agreed stomper but my point is he should not have been put in that situation , the job of an analysist is to analyse the game  through unbiased eyes . Were he not currently on Spurs books he would have been a pefect candidate .
Too many Radio & TV ´pundits´are London based & London biased . Most of them could give you chapter and verse on the Teams run at various levels by the major London Clubs but seem wholly uninformed about mid to lower table teams , a categorie into which we now sadly fall.....Godzvilla!

Offline peter w

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
Well we better not lose next saturday because the old goals of the season will be 80-81.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal