collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ed off  (Read 7837 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Press-ed off
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 01:49:56 PM »
Of course, but how many times will we see players switching off or making silly mistakes?

It's time after time with us and that's because either the manager isn't telling them what to do, or because they don't really give a shit.

I answered the post last week regarding the claim that we have a squad who aren't top 6 but definitely aren't bottom 6 either. In my opinion the current squad is bottom six. The players simply aren't good enough. Put them all up for sale tomorrow and where would they go? Benteke,Delph and Vlaar possibly to a top 6 side. The others? Bottom end of the Prem and Championship. How many of these players would get into the side that finished 6th in 2009? Benteke over Carew maybe, but the rest wouldn't get a sniff. This is the worst Villa squad we have had in the past 25 years and that is why we are once again in a relegation battle. Can be argued that Lambert has signed these players, can also be argued that with the financial restraints he has been limited in who he could buy. Doesn't really matter, the players are of sub standard quality. Couldn't knock the effort on Sunday, couldn't knock the commitment they just weren't good enough to beat a poor Spurs side.

I'm not naive enough to think we're top 6 material; I also don't believe we're bottom 6 either.

I've defended Lambert so many times over the past couple of years as I always felt that injuries, poor individual performances, coming up against top sides etc were the reasons. However, how long can you carry on? How many left backs do we sign, how many right backs do we try? How many games do we have to lose before everyone calls time on it?

Lerner is the root cause but Lambert is so frustrating, he seems incapable to me, tactically he chucks on so many players to do jobs they aren't best suited to. Fine if you've top quality who are capable but playing Gabby and Weimann out wide when they can't consistently deliver isn't good.

I was happy to give the young players a chance, 2 seasons on, they haven't developed because they haven't been managed right, mentored appropriately either and that sits squarely at Lambert's door.

Then there is the coaching staff fiasco. The inept media presentation. The Assistant Manager (or whatever Keane is) who states this is his second job and that if his first suffers he'll be off.

Add to that the numerous records he's broken, all of which are ones in the 'Against' column and you've a recipe for disaster.

He can't organise them, or they don't listen to him. Either way it comes down to Lambert.

I wanted it to work, I liked him and thought he had it in him, unfortunately, he hasn't got what it takes.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:16:42 PM by Drummond »

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 02:06:01 PM »
Agree with the above.

And how often have we as fans in the past joked about dodging an Allardyce, Hughes etc and guffawed at their tactics and style of football.

We are so desperately in need of organization, someone to come in and galvanise the group of players. We'd probably take Pulis now.

Offline Dennis Evans

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »
Where is Owen Coyle these days?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal