collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by SamTheMouse
[Today at 12:43:35 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scoring goals  (Read 14200 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Scoring goals
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »
Is this the most barren run since Spring '92 when Ron had his first sticky spell?

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »
Didn't that run end with us putting five past Spurs at the Lane?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »

Yep. Before that it was 4 goals in 14 league games. Which included a run of 1 in 11.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »
I think the main issue is that we don't shoot. No shots = no goals. The other issue is that our players aren't very good.
Well, surprisingly, we had 16 goal attempts vs QPR; 6 on target. In fact, statistically we got everything right - except in terms of goals-scored.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 01:17:32 PM »
How Clark didn't score both his chances against QPR, especially the second, I have no idea.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »
'Not scoring goals has hurt us, but it will come'. I hope that's just a poor bit of phrasing from Lambert and that he actually has a plan to make us more of a threat.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 02:16:35 PM »
How Clark didn't score both his chances against QPR, especially the second, I have no idea.

the second one, probably because Sandro (I think it was) managed to get the end of his big toe on the ball just before Clark managed to connect

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 02:39:34 PM »
maybe we just need to tell the goal shooters to kick the ball towards the white sticks !

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 03:06:44 PM »
The stat I'm most upset about our shots on target.  18 in 9 games is in itself pretty dire, but when you add to that the fact that our percentage of shots that hit the target is just 23% (the lowest in the league) it all comes back to accuracy, as I've said a few times this year.

If you've going to play with low possession for it to work you need a high degree of precision in what you do when you have the ball; 2-3 sharp passes and shot on target at the end.

In rugby there's a big thing about not leaving the 22 empty handed, when you get territory you do something with it, the football equivalent of that is working the keeper, if you get loads of chances working the keeper and 'rolling the dice' is important, if you only get a few it's absolutely imperative that you make the most of everything you get.

Importantly more me a lack of precision is often down to mental preparation more than technical ability or physical attributes, you look at a player bang in confidence and they look comfortable and smooth in their actions and everything seems effortless, look at our guys and they all look like they're expecting things to fall apart any minute, so passes are powder puff (how many of our passes are underhit) and our shootting opportunities get snatched at and wasted. That's the thing we need to work on and the simplest way to do it is to strip back and make training as basic as can be, 1-2 touch passing drills on small pitches, 1 touch shooting from volleys or knockdowns, set pieces, fitness work, first touch and close control, focus on making the basic skills right so on the pitch that stuff just happens and the players have the confidence to take more on.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
Just want this turgid manager to provide a bit of excitement.  He claims wingers are 'old fashioned' so what! I think they are thrilling if not always consistent. Perhaps the Spurs manager would let us have Lennon on loan after Sundays match or if not there must be a few Tony Daley types lower down the league. Or preferably a young Harry Burrows with a thunderous shot.

Or anybody that might raise the spirits of the fans.

Offline Weedy

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 07:28:29 AM »
If this article by Gary Neville is anything to go by, we should be ashamed of ourselves at the lack of scoring opportunities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11202272/Premier-League-football-is-witnessing-the-death-of-defending-as-I-knew-it-and-its-not-coming-back.html

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »
It's simple for me. We don't have creative attacking players other than n'zogbia (an inconsistent dribbler but not a passer) Cole (well past it) or grealish (doesn't look ready to me). We've been crying out for someone like this for years now. I can't believe we still haven't bought someone. We definitely need to in January

Maybe cleverley can add a bit of that but I've not seen it so far

Offline peter w

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 09:14:24 AM »

I think it ended at home against (maybe) Norwich. Staunton?

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 11:47:16 AM »
Still can't understand why a proven goal scorer like bent is on the bench gabby and weimann have never been goal scorers grealish has to be given a chance sooner rather than later or as usual he will be given a chance when it is to late.
Also is Callum Robinson out on loan why give him a run out against saints last year then loan him out you see other clubs bringing there starlets through and flourishing but us ??????

Offline peter w

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »
Because Bent is as much a busted flush as anyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal