collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scoring goals  (Read 14174 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Scoring goals
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 10:16:34 AM »
We certainly need to freshen up our system and also the starting 11. Lambert has his favourites and they're not delivering the goods. Westwood and Gabby in particular need a spell out to let them know they've got to raise their game.
Weimann isn't good enough but at the very least he gives you work-rate.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »
I wouldn't start with either Gabby or Weimann. Would agree with giving Grealush and/or N'Zogbia a go. As we all know we are worryingly short of options up front. Pace, movement and creativity is no where to be seen.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
That nick a goal and hang on has been with us for a long, long time but it flowered into the equivalent of our club motto under McLeish for whom it had the all consuming importance of virginity to a nun.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
I think the main issue is that we don't shoot. No shots = no goals. The other issue is that our players aren't very good.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »
I agree on abandoning the long ball stategy, Benteke was always better when we played it in to him or crossed it. The hoofball doesn't work clearly and needs to stop. We also need more of the midfield getting in and around the box. Yes it might open us up more, but at the minute we're conceding anyway and if we don't score we're never going to progress.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »
Gabby and Weimann need to be dropped.

Grealish should be given a couple of games. I'd even try CNZ as well.

Also drop Westwood for Richardson to give us more energy.

J Cole is past it. As is Bent.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »
See I don't really understand that, call for Gabby and Weimann to be dropped but CNZ to be recalled.  The latter has, for me, been comfortably our worst player to have appeared this season, he looks disinterested and unfit whilst continuing with his usual tendency of running down blind alleys and overplaying.

We need to drop 1 of gabby or weimann I agree on that much but the main thing is we need to get our attack working as a unit and working together.  The best we've seen of that was Weimann and Benteke in 12/13 where they showed signs of forming a really good partnership, if we're going back-to-basics (which we should) then that's the pairing you start with and work from there.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 11:21:16 AM »
I am no fan of CNZ but something must change.

Maybe the Weiman / Benteke combo is worth a punt when Benteke is at full fitness.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
There needs to be a coherent plan as to how we attack sides that extends beyond having your full backs put crosses in from 25 yards out.

It doesn't have to be a work of genius, football is a very simple game afterall, but there are a lot of things we could be doing better. Exploiting space beyond the opposition full back would be an idea with either balls in there or runs dragging defenders wide to create a bit more room for Benteke or a midfielder to hit the box.

Actually having the midfield get into the box would be a start, as well as having another forward get closer to Benteke.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »
There needs to be a coherent plan as to how we attack sides that extends beyond having your full backs put crosses in from 25 yards out.

It doesn't have to be a work of genius, football is a very simple game afterall, but there are a lot of things we could be doing better. Exploiting space beyond the opposition full back would be an idea with either balls in there or runs dragging defenders wide to create a bit more room for Benteke or a midfielder to hit the box.

Actually having the midfield get into the box would be a start, as well as having another forward get closer to Benteke.

The midfield is why I, and I nicked the line off someone else on here, prefer Richardson over Westwood as more mobility and energy

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
See I don't really understand that, call for Gabby and Weimann to be dropped but CNZ to be recalled.  The latter has, for me, been comfortably our worst player to have appeared this season, he looks disinterested and unfit whilst continuing with his usual tendency of running down blind alleys and overplaying.

I guess because Gabby and Weimann have been playing regularly for over a year and underperforming while Zog is coming back from a year out injured. It may also give those 2 a kick up the arse if they start being dropped.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 11:51:42 AM »
Scoring what?  Goals you say?  Hmmmm, nope, can't say I recall what you're on about.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »
I agree with a lot of what has been written in this thread.  Our 4-3-3 formation consists of a flat midfield and attacking three, which I think is quite easy to defend against.  We're talking about a different quality of player, but when Chelsea play that formation, the movement of the likes of Oscar and Hazard pulls defenders out of shape and opens up space which they are able to exploit with their quality.  In contrast, Gabby and Weimann are so stationary and easy to mark, and both end up squandering most of the possession they have.  This makes us toothless in the final third.

For a couple of seasons now we have needed a player who can bridge the gap between the midfield and attack.  Going forward, I would give Cleverley a chance in a more advanced role with Sanchez and Richardson supporting him.  I'd also tinker with the front line a little.  If we are going to persist with long balls, then I'd use Benteke in the way Graham Taylor used Ormondroyd many years ago (diagonal balls and him knocking them down for other players).  I think it could be time to give Bent and N'Zogbia an extended chance and to use Gabby and Weimann used more sparingly. 

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
The thing about Oscar and Hazard is that they are also able to go past people at will. We have no one it seems to me (other than Delph) that is able to go past someone and move the ball forward.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 12:30:11 PM »
we must be the perfect team to play against, welcome Spurs just had their nosies rubbed in it, play Aston Villa they wont get at us and we can try things out as the least were going to get is a point.

whats the number for samaritans, ill ask my nose mate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal