collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scoring goals  (Read 14197 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Scoring goals
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:15:27 PM »
How do we solve it then? How would you solve it, selection wise to get us creating chances and looking threatening? 4 goals so far is a dismal return and we are lucky to have 10 points from those 4 goals. Who do we change, how do we get more of a threat in the side?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Scoring goals
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:31:02 PM »
We need to get 2 strikers playing closer together to start with.  Benteke and Weimann for me.

On top of that we need to rethink the midfield.  I don't think we have the players to play a standard 442 so I'd look at a diamond with Sanchez sitting in deep, Richardson and Cleverley in front and covering left and right defensively and then someone in the hole (cue the gif).  I'd probably alternate between Cole and Grealish there to start with but Bacuna and Nzog could be worth a look as well.  Whoever it is I'd want them to drift wide and slightly deeper as well, just to try to make us less predictable.

I'd then start playing a lot of balls in to Benteke (to his feet as much as his head) and get Weimann moving off him and trying to get shots away with 1-2 touches, which is where he looks a good player, as soon as he starts setting himself and taking players on he looks poor.  The good thing with doing it that way is that game plan perfectly suits Kozak as well so when he comes back he can start competing with Weimann to start.

Gabby would be my option to change things up from the bench for now.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »
I'd totally forgotten about Bacuna.

Offline Dan England

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:53:56 PM »
We need to get 2 strikers playing closer together to start with.  Benteke and Weimann for me.

On top of that we need to rethink the midfield.  I don't think we have the players to play a standard 442 so I'd look at a diamond with Sanchez sitting in deep, Richardson and Cleverley in front and covering left and right defensively and then someone in the hole (cue the gif).  I'd probably alternate between Cole and Grealish there to start with but Bacuna and Nzog could be worth a look as well.  Whoever it is I'd want them to drift wide and slightly deeper as well, just to try to make us less predictable.

I'd then start playing a lot of balls in to Benteke (to his feet as much as his head) and get Weimann moving off him and trying to get shots away with 1-2 touches, which is where he looks a good player, as soon as he starts setting himself and taking players on he looks poor.  The good thing with doing it that way is that game plan perfectly suits Kozak as well so when he comes back he can start competing with Weimann to start.

Gabby would be my option to change things up from the bench for now.

Agree.  You can see it, I can see it, why the f**k can't Lambert?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 12:03:40 AM »
Anyone up for Zarate on loan in January?

Isn't making the West Ham team at the minute (don't think Big Sam wanted him) but a talented player and someone who could play off Benteke.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 05:36:27 AM »
Stop playing hoofball. Play the ball to Benteke's feet. Play with greater width. Use the whole width of the pitch going forward. Take on defenders by running hard for the by line then smacking it hard and low across the face of the goal. Cut out passing the ball two yards on the central edge of the box. I have no problem with lateral passing to retain possession, just when you do go forward go at pace and with strength.
Non tactically, everybody goes on the scales twice a week. No bone or tendon snapping ferocity at BH, train like track athletes to become lean, quick and go the full 90 minutes flat out. Too many of our players are both mentally and physically flabby - Cole, Bent, Gabby -  flabby players usually end up on the side with a 0 on the score sheet.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:25:28 AM »
I agree with improving the fitness, we don't look as fit as we should to me, which is frustrating because the way Lambert seems to want to play works best with a very fit team.

Offline steffo

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 09:29:28 AM »
Lambert will not change his style or system. You have to think 'Lambert'. He is managing at the higest level. He has had success as a player (European Cup) and managing in the lower leagues playing the narrow system. To him it is the only way. I have never met him, but he is probably a stubbon sod who will stick to his beliefs.

The odd thing is, his system can work but it relies on excellent full backs providing width and a player in the hole who can walk past players. We have neither. The sad thing is a player like Delph playing in a 442 with width would have licence to attack and he would probably score 10+ goals a season. At present the midfield is far too cramped to find space.

Offline supertom

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
Stop playing hoofball. Play the ball to Benteke's feet. Play with greater width. Use the whole width of the pitch going forward. Take on defenders by running hard for the by line then smacking it hard and low across the face of the goal. Cut out passing the ball two yards on the central edge of the box. I have no problem with lateral passing to retain possession, just when you do go forward go at pace and with strength.
Non tactically, everybody goes on the scales twice a week. No bone or tendon snapping ferocity at BH, train like track athletes to become lean, quick and go the full 90 minutes flat out. Too many of our players are both mentally and physically flabby - Cole, Bent, Gabby -  flabby players usually end up on the side with a 0 on the score sheet.
Agree with all the above, although according to stats, whilst we've always been right up in the top of the charts in Lamberts first two seasons in terms of long balls, this season we've hoofed it far less frequently. I think we're comfortably bottom half of the table in terms of long ball.
Honestly it gets to the point sometimes, and we're that hopeless that I've actually wanted us to start humping some high balls up to Benteke. The times we do try it we have him pulled out wide, so it's not going to hurt anyone.
For all our 60% possession on Monday, and keeping the ball on the deck in midfield we got nowhere, yet QPR spank one long ball up to Zamora, he flicks on and they score.

We certainly need a lot more width as you say. But still come 70 minutes in a game, if we haven't scored I'd not be adverse to sticking Andi or Bent close to Benteke, keeping the big man locked in a central area and giving him a few high balls to try and win. It could be a tactic in the right situation and as last resort. It'd be no good if Tekkers is on the wing, or when we also tend to use it most, when we're backs to the wall in defence and hump it out vaguely in the direction of either no-one or Benteke for him to chase.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »
Our supposedly creative players need to create, and the strikers need to have more boldness in front of goal. There are so many times I've seen a striker or a midfielder get into a shooting position only to dither with the ball or look for a pass when they could shoot.

Offline supertom

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
I agree with improving the fitness, we don't look as fit as we should to me, which is frustrating because the way Lambert seems to want to play works best with a very fit team.
Absolutely. Far too many players look wobbly in the middle. We've got pace players who've now lost all their pace. Is that purely age, injuries, or is it also extra timber? Bent, Gabby and N'Zogbia just don't have pace anymore. If they all lost a bit of weight, they'd gain a yard or two I reckon. Cole doesn't look fit but that could be age and injuries, and stamina has always been a weakness for him. Richardson has lost a yard or two he used to have. He could be a bit more lithe, but I guess he's also turned 30 too.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »
isnt it good when you have a wide player that can get to the deadball line and cross, i dont see that much from our boys, is that a lack of confidence, or worse?

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
I don't think playing Benteke, Agbonlahor and Weimann works. Only one of them is a goal threat.

I'd personally drop Weimann and play 3 defensively minded midfielders (Sanchez, Cleverly and Westwood) with someone more creative - I guess N'Zogbia or Grealish.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 10:14:35 AM »
I don't think playing Benteke, Agbonlahor and Weimann works. Only one of them is a goal threat.

I'd personally drop Weimann and play 3 defensively minded midfielders (Sanchez, Cleverly and Westwood) with someone more creative - I guess N'Zogbia or Grealish.

Yes i agree Weimann is not at it, and i think at the moment to frustrate the opposition, and as weve done nick a goal maybe is what lambert is thinking as well.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »

Yes i agree Weimann is not at it, and i think at the moment to frustrate the opposition, and as weve done nick a goal maybe is what lambert is thinking as well.

We have been the same for ages....hope to nick a goal on the break and hang on from there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal