collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Atmosphere on Sunday.  (Read 16246 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Atmosphere on Sunday.
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2014, 01:15:50 PM »
Sunday - bring on the Russ

Offline Fred

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
I expect a decent atmosphere to start and then it will depend on what happens.  I think we will win so expect it will be ok come 17.50ish.

Offline levico

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2014, 02:18:34 PM »
I think Spurs will absolutely tear us apart on Sunday. Frankly I don't think we'll see another point coming our way until Burnley away (and that by means of a 0-0 draw).

I don't think they the fans will make much of a fuss - we've had all the fight knocked out of us. I think we expect failure now - as do the players its seems.

This is probably the darkest time since 1967.

This made me laugh.

We lost our first four games of the season 1997-1998 (I think), was that not our darkest period in history.

I said 1967 not 97!!!!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2014, 02:24:32 PM »
I think Spurs will absolutely tear us apart on Sunday. Frankly I don't think we'll see another point coming our way until Burnley away (and that by means of a 0-0 draw).

I don't think they the fans will make much of a fuss - we've had all the fight knocked out of us. I think we expect failure now - as do the players its seems.

This made me laugh.

We lost our first four games of the season 1997-1998 (I think), was that not our darkest period in history.

I said 1967 not 97!!!!

Whatever you said, it was still blatant nonsense.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
We were dark horses for the title in '97/'98 but after that terrible start we picked-up albeit in patches. Our European run and Gregory's new manager bounce when he came in showed just how good that team was on its day.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »

This made me laugh.

I said 1967 not 97!!!!

Whatever you said, it was still blatant nonsense.

Indeed. It's our darkest time since 2005-06, as the situation is near-identical, or at least very similar. The club is not going out of business, however. Let's not go mental.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:06 PM »
It is like the O'Leary period of his last 1.5 seasons - i.e. all of the calendar year 05 and first half of 2006 but one which has been going on for over 4 years with the pain stretched out.

Manager (Hoillier) belittling the club, like O'Leary did.
Expectations 'managed' ever downwards (Houllier, McLeish, Lambert) - for Charlton read I dunno Swansea?
An out of touch Chairman looking to sell.
Defeats in the Cup to lower league clubs Doncaster and Sheff Utd/Millwall/Orient.

A drifting club, directionless and battling relegation instead of being comfortbly mid table.

We need something big to galvanise us. Quickly

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
It is like the O'Leary period of his last 1.5 seasons - i.e. all of the calendar year 05 and first half of 2006 but one which has been going on for over 4 years with the pain stretched out.

Manager (Hoillier) belittling the club, like O'Leary did.
Expectations 'managed' ever downwards (Houllier, McLeish, Lambert) - for Charlton read I dunno Swansea?
An out of touch Chairman looking to sell.
Defeats in the Cup to lower league clubs Doncaster and Sheff Utd/Millwall/Orient.

A drifting club, directionless and battling relegation instead of being comfortbly mid table.

We need something big to galvanise us. Quickly

I think our next appointment needs to be a major coup. 

I'd even be tempted to offer Giovanni Trapattoni a two and a half year contract.  He's 75 but said he's not looking to retire.

In that two and a half years, give him full control and eventually chose his successor.

It's never going to happen mind.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2014, 03:44:16 PM »

This made me laugh.

I said 1967 not 97!!!!

You're right, getting relegated to division 3 and failing to gain promotion at the first attempt was a golden age. ;¬)

Seriously though, there is an increasing tendency in all walks of life to label things as the best/worst/biggest etc that is really, really annoying.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »
Count yourself lucky, I have to drive an 180 odd mile round trip to every home game, which means I have witnessed every home game for the past two seasons stone cold sober.

The horror... the horror.
I do the same journey for every home game..but i go by train and relax and have a few beers on route..trust me it helps!!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
The squad we have is quite capable of finishing in mid table if they are coached correctly, the team set up correctly, the tactics are correct, and substitutions made appropriately. One man is responsible for all those and he is the reason why we are bottom 6.

Exactly and that's why the endless debate about formations is largely waste of time. We have one massive problem and it stands on the touchline every match or sits slumped gormlessly in its seat in the dug out looking like its been on the brew since the night before. And it probably has

The biggest problem this club has is Randy Lerner. Lambert is miles of his depth but to quote MON when he took over, we are a disaffected club (again). Lerner somehow thought it was a good idea a few weeks back to hand out new contracts to the likes of Lambert, Gabby and Hutton based on four games at the start of this season.

Our squad is pretty hopeless too, granted we should be doing better but we supplemented our squad from last season (the worst Villa side since McNeill) with players who were often their club's worst last season. We are dealing with the consequences of bargain basement shopping for a few years now.

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »
Something that has gone without much comment is that the Villa fans were very supportive at the QPR game even after we went 1-0 down until everyone seemed to collectively realise there was no plan to change the game at all. Moaning started in pockets from about 55 minutes through to the second goal which came almost exactly 10 minutes after everyone in the ground knew we needed to make a change except the one man in charge of doing so. At the final whistle on Monday I feel any booing was justified. I would personally never boo during the game (although I can't help but moan sometimes when players or the manager don't seem interested) but at the final whistle letting frustration vent is understandable.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »
Something that has gone without much comment is that the Villa fans were very supportive at the QPR game even after we went 1-0 down until everyone seemed to collectively realise there was no plan to change the game at all. Moaning started in pockets from about 55 minutes through to the second goal which came almost exactly 10 minutes after everyone in the ground knew we needed to make a change except the one man in charge of doing so. At the final whistle on Monday I feel any booing was justified. I would personally never boo during the game (although I can't help but moan sometimes when players or the manager don't seem interested) but at the final whistle letting frustration vent is understandable.

Correct approach.  Booing during match is counterproductive

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »
I will be there and having had a gallon up town before will be convinced that this is the turning point. After the inevitable defeat I'll go back into town for more beer.

You are a warrior for the economy of this city!

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2014, 09:27:09 PM »
The squad we have is quite capable of finishing in mid table if they are coached correctly, the team set up correctly, the tactics are correct, and substitutions made appropriately. One man is responsible for all those and he is the reason why we are bottom 6.

Exactly and that's why the endless debate about formations is largely waste of time. We have one massive problem and it stands on the touchline every match or sits slumped gormlessly in its seat in the dug out looking like its been on the brew since the night before. And it probably has

The biggest problem this club has is Randy Lerner. Lambert is miles of his depth but to quote MON when he took over, we are a disaffected club (again). Lerner somehow thought it was a good idea a few weeks back to hand out new contracts to the likes of Lambert, Gabby and Hutton based on four games at the start of this season.

Our squad is pretty hopeless too, granted we should be doing better but we supplemented our squad from last season (the worst Villa side since McNeill) with players who were often their club's worst last season. We are dealing with the consequences of bargain basement shopping for a few years now.

I think we're not a squad that is ever going to push for Europe, but, conversely, we are not a team that should be flirting with relegation. That fundamentally comes down to whats going on with the players, tactically, team selection and fitness-wise.This is an issue about how the team is managed not how the club is run.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal