collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by devilla
[Today at 01:00:22 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hot off the press  (Read 10246 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Hot off the press
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »
The day we lost 2-1 to a then struggling Sheffield United in the cup was when I started to go off Lambert. It's not improved that much since then.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »
The part about having hope after the team came back so strongly at the tail end of the seaon before last struck a chord with me. For this reason I clung on grimly to the hope that Lambert would work things out last season. But in the end the sheer weight of records that he's breaking (in a bad way) make you say enough is enough.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:23:07 PM by not3bad »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
2014 has been a wretched year for us so far.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
Another good read Dave spot on as usual.

Offline Fred

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 01:15:52 PM »
Good Article.
I remember when BFR was sacked and one of his last games was a away defeat to QPR. Although i was sorry to see him go i was delighted to that we had BL in the pipeline to take over.
Diffrence here is that the club have given a underperforming manager a new contract and i do not see a BL type of manager in the distance. Think we will just have to face the fact that this season will be the same as last season. A few bad results then something to give us hope then a bad result or two and a battle to stay in the league.

Offline pig

• GM : 01.04.2016
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 01:18:41 PM »
Very good read, watching us last night all I could think was that we were going to be relegated. Normally I am overly positive, but now it almost feels inevitable.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 01:20:29 PM »
Good Article.
I remember when BFR was sacked and one of his last games was a away defeat to QPR. Although i was sorry to see him go i was delighted to that we had BL in the pipeline to take over.
Diffrence here is that the club have given a underperforming manager a new contract and i do not see a BL type of manager in the distance. Think we will just have to face the fact that this season will be the same as last season. A few bad results then something to give us hope then a bad result or two and a battle to stay in the league.

Ellis had many strokes of luck and one of them was that whenever things were bad a manager miraculously became available. He didn't work at it, they seemed to do the running.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »
And when he had to find one he went for Turner, McNeill, Venglos.

SGT, BFR, BL and JG just fell in his lap perfectly.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 01:22:55 PM »
I still go back to the Bradford debacle. The inability to beat a league 2 team over 2 matches with the second at home was astonishing. Even worse the throw as many strikers on whilst taking off the supply line 'tactic'. Absolutely bonkers. The defeat accepting culture with the shrug of our shoulders has to stop.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
I just don't get why Swansea are able to put together a squad that plays excellent passing football year in, year out, whilst we are consistently dull as ditch water and struggling to stay up.

We must have more resources than they do?

They don't seem to have spent tonnes of money.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »

I'd never criticise him for Venglos, but if a manager ever appointed a club it was Sir Graham, then BFR.

Offline Fred

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 01:28:32 PM »
Good Article.

Ellis had many strokes of luck and one of them was that whenever things were bad a manager miraculously became available. He didn't work at it, they seemed to do the running.

For me his best managers were SGT, BFR and BL. Wether or not they fell in to his lap i just can not see the current chairman finding some one like one of the above to take over. Ellis had luck but could you say he had more of a feel for the mood of the fans and would have changed things by now?

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 01:31:47 PM »
Good Article.

For me his best managers were SGT, BFR and BL. Wether or not they fell in to his lap i just can not see the current chairman finding some one like one of the above to take over. Ellis had luck but could you say he had more of a feel for the mood of the fans and would have changed things by now?

Again, to repeat an oft-said belief, Ellis had an instinctive feel for what fans thought. I think the only time he read the mood wrong was when he got rid of BFR. I'm not sure he would have got rid of Lambert in his first two seasons  - Doug wasn't as trigger-happy as he liked to be portrayed - but he'd have gone either last summer or this morning.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »

I'd never criticise him for Venglos, but if a manager ever appointed a club it was Sir Graham, then BFR.

Venglos was certainly a brave appointment, and you could say trying an overseas manager first that he was paving the way for others, but I still think it was the wrong one for the time and especially for a side that had just finished 2nd.

Offline Fred

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »
Good Article.

Again, to repeat an oft-said belief, Ellis had an instinctive feel for what fans thought. I think the only time he read the mood wrong was when he got rid of BFR. I'm not sure he would have got rid of Lambert in his first two seasons  - Doug wasn't as trigger-happy as he liked to be portrayed - but he'd have gone either last summer or this morning.

BFR was a hugely popular manager and i loved him managing our club. As you yourself said in your book about Villa managers he gave us a Big club feel. However since March 1994 we had been having  a slow decline and then we started badly in the league the following season. 

Doug probably felt the fans would turn on him but BL arriving and him being a Villa legend did help. He was the last manager Doug sacked although i am sure DOL did not leave off his own making.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal