collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)  (Read 160288 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)
« Reply #976 on: March 18, 2015, 12:22:58 AM »
Interesting Southampton have wobbled a bit at home. Against a very positive Villa they could struggle.

The home games with QPR, West Ham and Burnley should be enough for 9 points and safety, but I have a nagging feeling that the Burnley game we will still need a result from.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #977 on: March 18, 2015, 05:38:33 AM »
We need to make sure Burnley at home is a non event for us. It can mean whatever it needs to be for Burnley as it did for Newcastle a few years back. Hopefully we are sitting safe by then looking forward to the FA Cup final.

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #978 on: March 18, 2015, 06:56:06 AM »
My West Ham supporting mate suggests they've been absolutely rubbish since Christmas with a total of 9 points since then.

3 points for the taking for us.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #979 on: March 18, 2015, 07:11:38 AM »
We've won 4 out of last 6 v PL opposition haven't we?

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #980 on: March 18, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »

Very weak Premier League opposition, but Premier League opposition nevertheless.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #981 on: March 18, 2015, 08:08:05 AM »

Very weak Premier League opposition, but Premier League opposition nevertheless.

On current form West Brom don't count as weak opposition (it pains me to say).

Offline Diablo

« Reply #982 on: March 18, 2015, 09:20:11 AM »
I actually like our remaining fixtures. I think we've got a chance in all of them, Man City away aside.

We can beat Man Utd, they've not been playing well all season.

On current form (last 8 games) Man United are 3rd with 19 points W6 D1 L1 and Man City are 9th with 11 points W3 D3 L3. Man United have been getting points without playing that well (except for their last match where they battered Spurs which some of their fans have been saying was their best performance in 4 years).

We're currently in 16th place with 6 points  L6 D0 W2

Is a game that happened 2 months ago, under a different manager, really representative of 'current form'? Because that's how far back 8 games go.

A valid point. I notice that we're now up to 13th place in the updated current form league table following Sundays games. The main point I was trying to make was that Man City's form was not that great (although I think it's mainly their away form that's been the problem whilst Man United who are perceived by many to be not that good and playing badly are actually in a good vein of form). Quite a few people seem confident of getting something from the United game but are writing us off against City - you never know. Obviously I hope we beat them both. I wonder what the odds would be on a Manchester double?

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #983 on: March 18, 2015, 10:48:28 AM »
If City go out tonight then lose further ground in the league in the next couple of games, I can see Peligrini getting the bullet in time for us to go there and spring a surprise.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #984 on: March 18, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »

You could spin that into a positive and say we are winning the six pointers. With  QPR and Everton to come. I refuse to count the Burnley game as I refuse to accept it will go to the last day. This sticking my head in the sand trick worked a while back when we had to go to Wigan on the last day.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #985 on: March 18, 2015, 02:30:11 PM »
We've had a good run and it's great to see, but we're a long way from being safe. It's vital we win against Swansea at the weekend to ease some of the pressure in April. April is going to be very tough and we're probably going to have to do very well not to find ourselves right in it going into May.

Offline supertom

« Reply #986 on: March 18, 2015, 02:40:59 PM »

You could spin that into a positive and say we are winning the six pointers. With  QPR and Everton to come. I refuse to count the Burnley game as I refuse to accept it will go to the last day. This sticking my head in the sand trick worked a while back when we had to go to Wigan on the last day.
Pulis had lost just once for West Brom before we played them. They were a form side. They won last week to bounce back. I don't think they should be considered poor by any means. I think beating them twice in a week (convincingly) was good going. They'll still finish ahead of us and they'll be as safe as houses, but I do think the biggest factor in our wins was that we were playing to our potential and on paper we've got better players than West Brom. They're a lower mid-table side (11-13th). We should be a lower end of the top half side (8th-10th) with the players at our disposal.
I think we're simply now winning games we ought to be winning. If we can keep doing that and pick up some surprise results along the way, we'll be safe as houses.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #987 on: March 19, 2015, 02:08:40 PM »
I find it slightly frustrating that, because we've had such a dreadful season there's so much pressure to win the next game. This weekend is a good example, we've been on a good run but if we lose on Saturday and results go against us we could be back in the bottom three on Sunday. Then we're facing a trip to Old Trafford to try and drag ourselves out again. That's why it's so important that we beat Swansea.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #988 on: March 19, 2015, 02:16:13 PM »
We've had a good run and it's great to see, but we're a long way from being safe. It's vital we win against Swansea at the weekend to ease some of the pressure in April. April is going to be very tough and we're probably going to have to do very well not to find ourselves right in it going into May.

I think vital is overstating it, a draw would not be the end of world.

That said, I think we now will go into games where the opposition have to worry about us a little more due to a couple of strikers who found a bit of form and a set of players who have shown themselves able to make chances for them. I don't think that is the case for many of the other relegation contenders.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #989 on: March 19, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
Any chance we could reset the poll?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal