collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)  (Read 160347 times)

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Hull away)
« Reply #825 on: March 01, 2015, 11:27:35 AM »
But other than having a wobbly head, you haven't got a point to make?
Fair enough.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #826 on: March 01, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
But other than having a wobbly head, you haven't got a point to make?
Fair enough.

I think my point was clear enough.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #827 on: March 01, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »
Looking at the fixtures Burnley and QPR have a shocking run of games while leicester and Sunderland have similar to us, relegation isn't a formality a win on Tuesday night and we are with a good chance.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #828 on: March 01, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
Out of the next few fixtures, the one I can see us getting 3 points from is Sunderland. I'm not sure why, just a gut feeling.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #829 on: March 01, 2015, 11:37:12 AM »
Well if we go down we'll be selling 4-5 players, including Benteke. So we'd likely have at least 25 million from that and would hopefully re-invest that in a squad capable of getting us back up.
Sherwood, or any other manager who might be here in the near future won't work without some kind of rebuilding budget. And lets face it, Lambert wasn't given chicken feed to work with either.

I think we'd need about 8-10 new players in the summer if we went down.

Let's not forget you can use the loan market all season down there, Rotherham have used something ridiculous like 30 loans this season.

When West Ham went down they used the loan market quite well so it dosen't have to be about signing permanent players.

I'm just not sure players of the quality of Steve Sims, Mark Lillis, David Hunt and Malcolm Allen would be prepared to play in the championship these days.

Actually, I quite liked Mark Lillis. As I proved by giving him a 'ticker tape' welcome as he emerged from a Bradford hotel before our away game there. Unfortunately I had the ripped up paper in my sweaty fist inside my pocket and so ended up basically throwing a ball of paper mache at him. An intended tribute turned into what legally could have been deemed an attack.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #830 on: March 01, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »
Looking at the fixtures Burnley and QPR have a shocking run of games while leicester and Sunderland have similar to us, relegation isn't a formality a win on Tuesday night and we are with a good chance.

Burnley got a point against Chelsea and QPR won away for the first time recently. It's alright saying their fixtures look tough, but they seem capable of getting a result from games they should lose. We don't.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #831 on: March 01, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »
We're definitely going down.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #832 on: March 01, 2015, 12:18:18 PM »
I think we've blown our last best chance with the appointment of nice but Tim.

We've gone all in in a poker game and we're only holding a pair of 2s.

If we get out of this it will be more by luck than judgement.

Positives.

We're not cut adrift
We appear to be trying to play more on the front foot.

Negatives.
Still can't buy a point, let alone a win
Our new managers tactical overview appears to be based on a copy of the Kevin Keegan book of tactics with the chapter on tactics ripped out.

If he plays that kind of wide open 442 he seems to prefer we're going to struggle more often than not, including against that bunch of whinging shitbags from Smethwick.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #833 on: March 01, 2015, 12:26:46 PM »
This is what's known as the gambler's fallacy, but seven losses in a row has to turn around sometime.

This is why I don't gamble.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #834 on: March 01, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »
This is what's known as the gambler's fallacy, but seven losses in a row has to turn around sometime.

This is why I don't gamble.

I quite often used to include a hopelessly out of form team in my betting accumulators. 'Law of averages' was my logic behind this. Let's just say I rarely bother with that tactic any more.

My misguided faith in this 'system' particularly cost me when I continuously applied it to Brian Little's Stoke team one season.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:34:56 PM by Damo70 »

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #835 on: March 01, 2015, 12:46:59 PM »
It is true, we have been awful for months now, but are still not dead and buried statistically.

However, the awfulness since December doesn't tell anything like the whole story, for that you need to look at the current situation and the way the momentum is. Seven consecutive defeats and not showing any real fight is the important part

I look at Burnley and Leicester, for example, and I see fight. Leicester were unlucky last week at Everton. I look at us and I don't see any fight just a sort of apathetic slump vibe.

Regardless of how the league looks now, we are going to have to start to win the occasional game. We've won one in, what, 13 games now?

Does anyone think we look like winning a couple of games any time soon? I don't. We just look wretched.

Even if you look at things like yesterday and say it was not such a bad performance, how many times have we said that this season? Plenty. The problem is, we put in "less bad" showings and *still* don't win.

If we are going to survive, we are going to have to start to turn things around ourselves. I hope that happens, but there is zero sign of it at the moment.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #836 on: March 01, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »

Get down the bookies then - you'll make a fortune.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #837 on: March 01, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
A reminder of the financial disaster area that is the Championship.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/may/22/championship-club-accounts-profit-loss-and-the-wage-bill

4 clubs (count em) made a profit before tax.

Combined that before tax profit was 8.3M with Blackpool being the big "winner" accounting for 4.6M of that so thats the "winners".

The losers? Bloody hell its incredible. There is no way a club of our size could be even close to profitable down there, our losses would surely skyrocket.

Lerner may well regret his lack of spending this January.

Blackpool are the most hopelessly run club in the league and will be in league one next season.

Offline LTA

« Reply #838 on: March 01, 2015, 01:05:49 PM »
Sooner or later our luck was going trun out, and with each passing week it looks like this will be the year.  The legacy of Lerner and his poor decisions are coming home to roost.

Ian Holloway got loads of stick when he called us a half arsed place which used to be famous, but the truth is he was 100% correct.  We are no longer a big club, we're a joke looked upon with contempt as more progressive clubs like Swansea, Southampton and even West Brom leave us trailing in their wake.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #839 on: March 01, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »

Get down the bookies then - you'll make a fortune.

You would have to have a fortune to make a fortune. We are odds on to go down with most bookies. Only BetFred Fred and Billy Hill at 11/10 think we will stay up at the expense of Burnley, Leicester and QPR.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal