collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)  (Read 160309 times)

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
Re: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Hull away)
« Reply #810 on: February 28, 2015, 10:34:48 PM »
I don't think we will be, but if we are relegated, it is probably the only way he would spend any money again. I think he would drop £25million to blitz the second division to get back onto the gravy train before the extra couple of billion kicks in.

edit: Ok I looked. I am wrong. There is simply no way for a club like ours to be profitable in the Championship. Maybe you are right, maybe he will have to spend... hmm.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:01:04 PM by ciggiesnbeer »

Offline supertom

« Reply #811 on: February 28, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »
Well if we go down we'll be selling 4-5 players, including Benteke. So we'd likely have at least 25 million from that and would hopefully re-invest that in a squad capable of getting us back up.
Sherwood, or any other manager who might be here in the near future won't work without some kind of rebuilding budget. And lets face it, Lambert wasn't given chicken feed to work with either.

I think we'd need about 8-10 new players in the summer if we went down.

Offline pav

« Reply #812 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:41 PM »
Well if we go down we'll be selling 4-5 players, including Benteke. So we'd likely have at least 25 million from that and would hopefully re-invest that in a squad capable of getting us back up.
Sherwood, or any other manager who might be here in the near future won't work without some kind of rebuilding budget. And lets face it, Lambert wasn't given chicken feed to work with either.

we'd need about ten if we stay up

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #813 on: February 28, 2015, 10:52:47 PM »
A reminder of the financial disaster area that is the Championship.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/may/22/championship-club-accounts-profit-loss-and-the-wage-bill

4 clubs (count em) made a profit before tax.

Combined that before tax profit was 8.3M with Blackpool being the big "winner" accounting for 4.6M of that so thats the "winners".

The losers? Bloody hell its incredible. There is no way a club of our size could be even close to profitable down there, our losses would surely skyrocket.

Lerner may well regret his lack of spending this January.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:55:48 PM by ciggiesnbeer »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #814 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53:21 PM »
I'm with Steve Kirk on this, we've been utterly dire since mid december and are we're still only in the bottom 3 on goal difference, I'm a long way from accepting that we're relegated.  If we start to see a gap of 4-5 points then I'll join with the rest of you planning for life in the championship but it's nothing like that desperate yet.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #815 on: February 28, 2015, 11:07:12 PM »

Let's not forget you can use the loan market all season down there, Rotherham have used something ridiculous like 30 loans this season.

When West Ham went down they used the loan market quite well so it dosen't have to be about signing permanent players.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #816 on: February 28, 2015, 11:19:10 PM »
I'm not worried about relegation. Not because I don't think it'll happen and not because I don't think it will be financially ruinous. But simply because it can't be any worse than this.

We last won a league game almost 3 months ago. That is truly pathetic. For all the lack of TV exposure and the financial difficulties down there at least we might win some games. That's not something to be feared.

Offline supertom

« Reply #817 on: February 28, 2015, 11:27:19 PM »

we'd need about ten if we stay up
True, though I suspect we'd be less likely to make the wholesale changes we desperately need. Benteke I think will go regardless  and we'd be reliant on what he raises.
We've just got too many players with losing ingrained into them now. I think it'd be easier to sweep the place clean if we went down than stay up.
Unless of course Randy decides to speculate a little, with the TV windfall not far off...

...but he won't.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #818 on: February 28, 2015, 11:51:52 PM »
I'm with Steve Kirk on this, we've been utterly dire since mid december and are we're still only in the bottom 3 on goal difference, I'm a long way from accepting that we're relegated.  If we start to see a gap of 4-5 points then I'll join with the rest of you planning for life in the championship but it's nothing like that desperate yet.

That's my view too. Seeing Burnley and Hull lose with QPR and Leicester not playing were good for us. If nothing changes we'll go down but if there's a catalyst that breeds confidence, good work on the training pitch and finding the players and/or set-up that works can be enough. Hopefully a full Villa Park in a local derby environment can be that catalyst.

Offline andyh

« Reply #819 on: February 28, 2015, 11:55:48 PM »
The ONLY positive about going down would be the financial kick in the bollocks Lerner (the ******) would feel.
Good, fuck him.

Unfortunately, that would be minuscule in comparison to the pain that the fans would feel.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #820 on: March 01, 2015, 12:23:24 AM »
I bet Lerner's not 'having fun' at the thought if his investment going through the floor next season. Well it serves the bloke right. His negligence in the last 3 years has been scandalous.

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #821 on: March 01, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
We're still 4th favourites with the bookies to go down considering QPR and Leicester have a game in hand and you can more than double your money if you want to.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #822 on: March 01, 2015, 11:20:40 AM »
The ONLY positive about going down would be the financial kick in the bollocks Lerner (the c***) would feel.
Good, fuck him.

I shake my head at people's comments sometimes.

Offline andyh

« Reply #823 on: March 01, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »
The ONLY positive about going down would be the financial kick in the bollocks Lerner (the c***) would feel.
Good, fuck him.

I shake my head at people's comments sometimes.
How about making a point rather than this type of shit and why not quote the whole post?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #824 on: March 01, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »
Good, fuck him.

Unfortunately, that would be minuscule in comparison to the pain that the fans would feel.

I shake my head at some people's comments sometimes.

(is that better)?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal