collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:51:38 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:50:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 10:47:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 10:46:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)  (Read 160343 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Hull away)
« Reply #780 on: February 28, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »
We just simply look done at premier league level.

Managerial change was just cosmetic as there's been no change in the last two games to how we've played all season.

We also have hardly any injuries, that was pretty much a full strength squad out there today and we still don't have a clue how to score goals or create chance.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #781 on: February 28, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »
You know when Southampton sank like a stone, then tore back up the leagues with players they picked up for a song and then managed to sell for silly money?

Villa have tried that, and managed to find the shittest budget options they could. What depresses me is the thought that even if we did manage to get some great young players who would wreck the Championship, they'd be off within three months of getting back into the Premier League.
You are getting ahead of yourself there. Other club records to go for this season yet.

The fewest amount of goals scored will certainly be smashed. Most losses? No goals in the last fifteen? No penalties? I also think the red cards record, whatever it is, will probably be the preserve of the 14/15 vintage.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #782 on: February 28, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
Managerial change was just cosmetic as there's been no change in the last two games to how we've played all season.
One of the most sought after managers in Britain apparently.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #783 on: February 28, 2015, 05:46:52 PM »
I never wanted Sherwood, but the Baggies were a gnat's wing away from having him. Even though it wouldn't have benefitted us, that's a frustrating fact.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #784 on: February 28, 2015, 05:50:29 PM »
I never wanted Sherwood, but the Baggies were a gnat's wing away from having him. Even though it wouldn't have benefitted us, that's a frustrating fact.

I think he would have done just fine there tbh and Pulis would also struggle here. Our players are just naff or have conspired to have terrible form at the same time. Either way Lerner chose not to address it in January by spending real money. His club, his choice, but now we pay for it.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #785 on: February 28, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »

I think he would have done just fine there tbh and Pulis would also struggle here. Our players are just naff or have conspired to have terrible form at the same time. Either way Lerner chose not to address it in January by spending real money. His club, his choice, but now we pay for it.

I just don't think that's true. Granted our players are not exactly good at much, but Baggies looked totally aimless before Pulis and now they look compact and organised. We looked stodgy and constipated, now we're slurrying all over the place. Managers really can have short term impacts, and I've not been impressed by ours.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #786 on: February 28, 2015, 05:54:02 PM »
Whatever happens, if Lerner is still here we need to hound him out in the summer.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #787 on: February 28, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »
I think a lot of the optimism, for what there was of it, was based on Benteke finding joy in playing football again under a different manager. That hasn't happened, and so there has been no momentum. It could still happen, and should it happen Tuesday that could put a whole different slant on this relegation thing, but games are running out for Benteke to remember what he's good at. I thought Stoke was make or break for it to happen, and as it didn't happen again today, it's getting to be very unlikely he'll end the season like he did a couple of years ago.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #788 on: February 28, 2015, 05:59:39 PM »

I just don't think that's true. Granted our players are not exactly good at much, but Baggies looked totally aimless before Pulis and now they look compact and organised. We looked stodgy and constipated, now we're slurrying all over the place. Managers really can have short term impacts, and I've not been impressed by ours.

Maybe you are right but I think the manager impact at Villa is pretty limited in its upside. We are like a Reliant Robin in a Formula 1 race. A good driver might be able to get 86MPH out of her instead of the 70MPH we are currently cruising at but its just not equipped for the race we are in.

Because we are the graveyard of managers reputations the one upside of Pulis would have been we could have wrecked his anti-football career when he took us down which would have been nice :)

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #789 on: February 28, 2015, 06:07:54 PM »
I don't think Pulis is even that good a manager, but he obviously sounds like a manager and talks to players like a man who's been around the block. Lambert, despite his experience, was not inspiring and could you imagine his team talks? Pulis probably isn't Kenneth Branagh, but I'd imagine he's simple, direct and sounds like what British players expect - a few swearwords, an off-colour joke and clattering his muddy training boots on the changing room wall.

I have no idea how Sherwood operates, but I can't imagine the squad feels like a cohesive unit like they probably do at West Brom. Never overestimate a footballer's intelligence: treat them like a kid and tell them exactly what to do and they'll follow you anywhere.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #790 on: February 28, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »

I'm with Monty on this. Look how shit Palace were last season and within a couple of weeks he had them taking the piss out of us at Villa Park, and they finished very comfortably mid table.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #791 on: February 28, 2015, 06:20:14 PM »
When you score as few as we do you need a really good, bordering on faultless, defence. We haven't got that.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #792 on: February 28, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
I've committed and voted yes. When/how are we going to win again? Remember these are the "winnable" games. I'm shitting it at possibility of double humiliation at the hands of those ****** this week.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #793 on: February 28, 2015, 06:40:48 PM »
It probably is the season but I cling onto the fact that even with picking up 12 points from the last 69 since that 4 game great start we had we are still amazingly ahead of 1 club and level with 2 more, while we are in touch with Qpr and Burnley I cant quite give up.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one" maybe I am?

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #794 on: February 28, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »
It probably is the season but I cling onto the fact that even with picking up 12 points from the last 69 since that 4 game great start we had we are still amazingly ahead of 1 club and level with 2 more, while we are in touch with Qpr and Burnley I cant quite give up.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one" maybe I am?
That's the spirit Steve Kirk!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal