collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)  (Read 160351 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Hull away)
« Reply #630 on: February 21, 2015, 11:30:09 PM »
We've taken 3 points from the last 30.

We have lost six league games in a row - that's 18 points on offer, from which we have taken zero. 

We've scored 13 goals all season. The next team up from that figure has scored 22. We have got the worst goal difference in the league.

We are 19th with 12 games left, and having just notched up our sixth consecutive loss, are showing pretty much no discernible sign of getting better. Not only that, but we are actually starting to look more and more dispirited. Like not only are we missing ability or organisation, there isn't even any spirit.

13 goals all season. Fuck me, that isn't just "bad", that is shockingly bad.

That's not just a pointer to a relegation, its a pointer to a pathetic, Derby County, Sunderland or Wolves style relegation.

I appreciate there is a bit of football still to play, and I understand why people try to be hopeful, but I read people saying we need four or five wins, and really, on the basis of the last 26 league games (and, if you like the 76 before this season, too), I find that pretty much impossible to imagine.

Does anyone think we'll win four or five games between now and the end of the season? Really?

We look utterly feeble and like we're never going to win a league game again.

I am no fan of the Sherwood appointment. It looks to me another hopelessly romantic decision by this cabal of incompetent dreamers who run us - just like the "young and hungry" (and cheap) policy they had. If they think it'll work, if they imagine it will work, if they hope it'll work, then it'll just .... work.

Same with Sherwood. Not got his coaching badges yet, management record which consists of, what, 22 league matches taking over a team which was in sixth position, but hey, he's young, and he believes that youth thing, and he does "good media", he's our man.

Meanwhile Tom Fox is talking amazing commercial deals, and chief commercial officers, and building structures to support the manager - director of football, stats analysts, a proper modern team around the manager, while we chase sponsors who realise the potential of this club, in this league, totally and utterly unaware of the fact that the entire thing is going to shit around them.

One thing that struck me today was that, really, it doesn't matter who the manager is. So, in that sense, Sherwood gets a pass from me, fuck it, I'll give the guy a go, and the reason is because ultimately, we are not going down because of anything Sherwood will do, we are going down because the people running this club, from the chairman sat 3000 miles away, flying in for three or four hours every now and then and otherwise running the club by email, down, the lot of them have managed to make such a gigantic pigs ear of it all that Lerner is now staring at turning hundreds of millions of pounds of his own money into a Championship club.

These are the people who put up with that absolute chancer Lambert for two years of absolute guff then gave him a new four year contract on the basis of four acceptable results, then sat their umming and aahing when everyone with even a passing interest could spot it all going to shit, and did nothing about it, nothing, until it was too fecking late.

So, basically, I'm not massively optimistic.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #631 on: February 21, 2015, 11:31:38 PM »
Bravo!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #632 on: February 21, 2015, 11:39:12 PM »
Sunderland failing to score in their last three games (home to QPR and West Brom) and cup defeat to Bradford is pretty shocking. Fans on Poyet's back, Danny Graham back in the side... they will be dragged back into it.

Offline myf

« Reply #633 on: February 21, 2015, 11:51:26 PM »
Sunderland failing to score in their last three games (home to QPR and West Brom) and cup defeat to Bradford is pretty shocking. Fans on Poyet's back, Danny Graham back in the side... they will be dragged back into it.

...and then we roll into town for another 6 pointer

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #634 on: February 21, 2015, 11:51:51 PM »
Maybe , but I can't see us catching them.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #635 on: February 21, 2015, 11:54:57 PM »

We have lost six league games in a row - that's 18 points on offer, from which we have taken zero. 

We've scored 13 goals all season. The next team up from that figure has scored 22. We have got the worst goal difference in the league.

We are 19th with 12 games left, and having just notched up our sixth consecutive loss, are showing pretty much no discernible sign of getting better. Not only that, but we are actually starting to look more and more dispirited. Like not only are we missing ability or organisation, there isn't even any spirit.

That's not just a pointer to a relegation, its a pointer to a pathetic, Derby County, Sunderland or Wolves style relegation.

I appreciate there is a bit of football still to play, and I understand why people try to be hopeful, but I read people saying we need four or five wins, and really, on the basis of the last 26 league games (and, if you like the 76 before this season, too), I find that pretty much impossible to imagine.

Does anyone think we'll win four or five games between now and the end of the season? Really?

I am no fan of the Sherwood appointment. It looks to me another hopelessly romantic decision by this cabal of incompetent dreamers who run us - just like the "young and hungry" (and cheap) policy they had. If they think it'll work, if they imagine it will work, if they hope it'll work, then it'll just .... work.

Same with Sherwood. Not got his coaching badges yet, management record which consists of, what, 22 league matches taking over a team which was in sixth position, but hey, he's young, and he believes that youth thing, and he does "good media", he's our man.

Meanwhile Tom Fox is talking amazing commercial deals, and chief commercial officers, and building structures to support the manager - director of football, stats analysts, a proper modern team around the manager, while we chase sponsors who realise the potential of this club, in this league, totally and utterly unaware of the fact that the entire thing is going to shit around them.

One thing that struck me today was that, really, it doesn't matter who the manager is. So, in that sense, Sherwood gets a pass from me, fuck it, I'll give the guy a go, and the reason is because ultimately, we are not going down because of anything Sherwood will do, we are going down because the people running this club, from the chairman sat 3000 miles away, flying in for three or four hours every now and then and otherwise running the club by email, down, the lot of them have managed to make such a gigantic pigs ear of it all that Lerner is now staring at turning hundreds of millions of pounds of his own money into a Championship club.

These are the people who put up with that absolute chancer Lambert for two years of absolute guff then gave him a new four year contract on the basis of four acceptable results, then sat their umming and aahing when everyone with even a passing interest could spot it all going to shit, and did nothing about it, nothing, until it was too fecking late.

Excellent. Nothing to disagree with their and really sums up my feeling. Call me pessimistic but to me, it's clear we're fucked.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #636 on: February 22, 2015, 12:04:25 AM »

Good stuff.  I suggest you send that into the Evening Mail for the comments section (sans the one or two choice words of course!). Changing the manager was akin to giving a house a new coat of paint when the foundations are giving way.   

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #637 on: February 22, 2015, 12:21:19 AM »
Agree Paulie. We're an awful side with a group of players who are performing disgracefully poorly. It'll take a lot to save us from here.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #638 on: February 22, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »
Evertonian flatmate of mine reckons it's Leicester and QPR + 1, with the final spot being decided on the last day of the season.

I would snap your hand off now, if you offered us the chance to take it to the 38th game.  To do that will require something approximating an upturn in form, at least 3-4 wins between now and the end of the season to keep us in contention.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #639 on: February 22, 2015, 08:30:17 AM »
We're not adrift. A couple of results can put you away from it, that's how tight it is.

I appreciate what people are saying about awful records, but that's true of any club until it changes. Under Lambert it wasn't going to, at least we have finally done something, although we have given him much time.

Four points from the next two will see us out the bottom three and hopefully breathe some confidence back into the side. The belief must come from the players and they have to take responsibility as well for once.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #640 on: February 22, 2015, 08:42:26 AM »
The bookies still think we'll stay up. The three favourites are Leicester, QPR and Burnley.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #641 on: February 22, 2015, 08:43:23 AM »
Great rant Paulie and so right.

As for Four points from the next two. We've been saying that pretty much consistantly since Christmas.

It ain't going to happen because we've no quality and no heart.

I didn't want Tim Sherwood but its really not his fault.

Can't really think of a single Villa player ive got any time for these days tbh.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #642 on: February 22, 2015, 08:47:53 AM »
The fear has spread like a cancer throughout the side and Sherwood has to hack it free so some confidence can grow. It has festered too long and spread too wide, giving the bloke a much harder job than he would have had should he have take the reigns in November or August.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #643 on: February 22, 2015, 08:50:06 AM »

My thoughts exactly and when you spell it out, like you have done, it makes grim reading.

I remember our absolute surrender at Spurs at the end of the season and the matches after the Chelsea win, and confidently thinking Lambert would be sacked last summer.

I think the problem is that we sort of give Lerner some credit for being rich, and therefore intelligent and having some business acumen The point is that he inherited his wealth and and seemingly has no business know how whatsoever. Everything has been done on the cheap since 2010. Ultimately we only did well from 2006 to 2010 due to spending,and wasting, large amounts of cash

Im sure in 10 years time, Harvard will be using Lerner's ownership as a great example of how to run a business into the ground and lose millions in the process

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #644 on: February 22, 2015, 09:01:05 AM »
Not sure about Harvard: the basic Business Studies qualification for the remedial kids could use it because it is so easy to understand and so bloody obvious for the duration.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal