collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)  (Read 160303 times)

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
Re: Is this the season...
« Reply #405 on: February 02, 2015, 09:19:08 PM »
Has anyone bet on us to go down? What odds did u get?

My bro did before the season started. He put £50 on it at 5/1.

I only got 3/1! And only put a fiver on. That 20 quid is going to be so sweet.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #406 on: February 02, 2015, 10:04:35 PM »
Rickie Lambert wasn't the answer to a prayer, but he might have helped. As it is, we've got a half decent squad in the hands of a man who can't manage. It's like giving a Rubik's Cube to a gorilla - it might get solved, but the odds appear astronomical.

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #407 on: February 02, 2015, 11:35:11 PM »
In what universe will we score enough goals to stay up.
I honestly believe we will finish bottom.
28 is the fewest goals scored by a team staying up.
Our goalscore record is nothing short of a disgrace.  Its the first time in my life time that I almost feel embarrassed to tell people who I support.
Relegation an absolute certainty imo

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #408 on: February 03, 2015, 02:00:31 AM »
We won't go down. We'll put together a mini run at some stage of the season and with that and the fact that the teams below us are so poor we'll be safe. Then the club will try and spin it into some kind of positive and we'll spend peanuts in the summer and it'll all start again next season.
Our only hope is that Lerner finds a buyer in the summer.

I keep hoping for this, recalling a far weaker and poorer squad than we have now coming out of the depths of his first season to club together results and football worthy of us.

This is what gets me and much as I've tried to work it out I just can't. We got out of trouble that season by playing football. In fact it was arguably the best we've played since the glory days of Brian Little. Since then we've had almost two years of boredom, even though we've got, as was said elsewhere,  the best team we've had post-O'Neill. So what's gone wrong? Enlighten me please.

It's a good question Dave.  I would go even further and say that we actually built on the end of his first season at the start of his second, winning at Arsenal and then outplaying Chelsea and Liverpool for large parts of those games (although we did narrowly lose both).  During that period we genuinely looked like we were able to compete with any side in the league, helped of course by having a striker who was in sensational form. 

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #409 on: February 03, 2015, 04:23:50 AM »
I think the neglect that has been shown by the whole management team, Lambert, Fox and Lerner at not addressing through out the month of January, not just the last couple of hours of the Sky developed last day, to our chronic goal shortage will see this year being the year.
You do not win games if you do not score goals and the last couple of weeks in the league have shown that the players available to pick our defence from are also struggling.
A very strange way to look after a business or in Lerners case a rich mans plaything.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #410 on: February 03, 2015, 05:50:31 AM »
We won't go down. We'll put together a mini run at some stage of the season and with that and the fact that the teams below us are so poor we'll be safe. Then the club will try and spin it into some kind of positive and we'll spend peanuts in the summer and it'll all start again next season.
Our only hope is that Lerner finds a buyer in the summer.

I keep hoping for this, recalling a far weaker and poorer squad than we have now coming out of the depths of his first season to club together results and football worthy of us.

This is what gets me and much as I've tried to work it out I just can't. We got out of trouble that season by playing football. In fact it was arguably the best we've played since the glory days of Brian Little. Since then we've had almost two years of boredom, even though we've got, as was said elsewhere,  the best team we've had post-O'Neill. So what's gone wrong? Enlighten me please.   
It's so frustrating and really does not make any sense at all. I then begin to think it's purely a management problem and maybe the players just do not want to be playing for Lambert and that's being expressed on the pitch. Maybe not intentionally meaning to lose but they just can not build the belief and play to their own strengths.

Then Delph signing his new contract throws a massive doubt over that theory, why would he have signed up for more of this knowing Lambert is still in charge?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #411 on: February 03, 2015, 07:43:25 AM »
Why are we so shit? Zero pressure from above and total job security. We're in a kind of comfort zone. Even a manager with Lambert's intellectual shortcomings should get this squad into mid-table. Plus, I think when everybody can see how disinterested and detached the owner is, that lack of giving a shit trickles down. It's poisonous.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #412 on: February 03, 2015, 07:58:26 AM »
I feel like I'm stuck in one of those nightmares where you are trying desperately to wake up but you can't.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #413 on: February 03, 2015, 08:06:36 AM »
We certainly have a good chance of going down. Its pretty basic really. If you don't score goals to win fixtures you will go down. We have only
one player who is capable of doing this and he seems to be demoralised and not interested in putting himself about despite his physical attributes.

But,hey...er...guys. Randy is having fun with the club....and that's all that matters isn't it?

Its like the country being run by Nick Clegg!

Offline Locko

« Reply #414 on: February 03, 2015, 08:26:30 AM »
You could be forgiven for thinking Lerner wants it to happen. We could lose 10 in a row without scoring and Lambert would still be here.

By Good that was prophetic, have you got tonight's euro millions numbers?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #415 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:03 AM »
There is the saving grace of there actually being other teams poorer than us, but I cannot feel confident of us not being dragged down there. But still, there is this one crumb of comfort.

Without looking it up, since we beat Liverpool, we’ve played half a season, scored 7 goals and won just two games, drawing a further six. An awful record no doubt, yet despite that, we’re still not bottom and although we’re incredibly close to the bottom three, we still aren’t in there. Just how bad do you have to be to be below us in the league?

Leicester, QPR, Burnley and Hull must really be stinking the place out to be below us, as you’d think with that record we’d be bottom and well adrift.

Offline dekko

« Reply #416 on: February 03, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »
Even in the darkest moments of the last 5 years I never really honestly felt that we would go down, it was like a part of my brain refused to accept the possibility.

Now, though, I'm pretty sure we're done for.  Simply put, to stay up we will need to improve significantly, and I can see absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Lambert is capable of doing it.  There's always the possibility that we'll scrape together a few more 1-0s and stay up by virtue of the fact that there are 3 worse teams, but sooner or later Lambert will take us down.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #417 on: February 03, 2015, 01:51:30 PM »
The fans don't deserve this

Lerner deserves it , if we go down and I seriously think we might .

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #418 on: February 03, 2015, 02:30:56 PM »
If we don't do the business in Feb and March we are gone as April is a write off bar the qpr game and may is too late

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #419 on: February 03, 2015, 03:16:57 PM »
There are actually four games in May, which seemes a lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal