collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)  (Read 160339 times)

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Is this the season...
« Reply #330 on: January 18, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
Looking at the fixture list we need to get the majority of our points by the end of March as April & May offer only a couple of games where you expect to get anything...if this idiot stays in charge I really worry that this is the year!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #331 on: January 18, 2015, 05:01:48 PM »
We have the lowest goals per game average of any side in Europe's major leagues. Only Granada has scored the same number of league goals (11) but in 4 less games. Now they appear as shit as us, maybe even worse given their goals output so no guarantee they will score again either. They also sit bottom of La Liga so we can give each other knowing we are not bottom of the PL...yet

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #332 on: January 18, 2015, 05:06:51 PM »
Worth noting of the serious chances we create yesterday a couple were from long high diagonal balls into the box.

I just don't see how we're going to create chances to win games playing the slow motion build up although Gil could perhaps help with that judging from his cameo.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #333 on: January 18, 2015, 05:41:53 PM »
We have the lowest goals per game average of any side in Europe's major leagues. Only Granada has scored the same number of league goals (11) but in 4 less games. Now they appear as shit as us, maybe even worse given their goals output so no guarantee they will score again either. They also sit bottom of La Liga so we can give each other knowing we are not bottom of the PL...yet

Another revealing stat from the league table is that only Burnley and QPR have a worse goal difference than us. Hull are 4 goals better off and The Bitters 5.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #334 on: January 18, 2015, 09:57:12 PM »
Hull are in the shit big time too. Granted they have had a lot of injuries but a lot of their main players are really struggling for form (McGregor, Davies, Dawson, Huddlestone, Livermore). Like us they are struggling to score. Bruce's public requests for more funds to buy forwards probably wearing a bit thin on the chairman after he brought in Hernandez, Ince, Ramirez and Ben Arfa already this season without much to show for it.

Any injury for Charlie Austin and QPR are gone. They are a midtable Championship side at best without him. Caulker, Ferdinand and Mutch have been diabolical signings.

Sunderland I think will do just about enough to stay up. Plucky side but Johnson is the only bit of quality they have. Rodwell another huge waste of money and a 3.5yr contract for Defoe is utter madness.

Burnley and Leicester are championship standard sides. Pulis will do enough to get West Brom over the line.

It wont take much improvement for us to survive again.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #335 on: January 18, 2015, 10:03:33 PM »
Hull are in the shit big time too. Granted they have had a lot of injuries but a lot of their main players are really struggling for form (McGregor, Davies, Dawson, Huddlestone, Livermore). Like us they are struggling to score. Bruce's public requests for more funds to buy forwards probably wearing a bit thin on the chairman after he brought in Hernandez, Ince, Ramirez and Ben Arfa already this season without much to show for it.

Any injury for Charlie Austin and QPR are gone. They are a midtable Championship side at best without him. Caulker, Ferdinand and Mutch have been diabolical signings.

Sunderland I think will do just about enough to stay up. Plucky side but Johnson is the only bit of quality they have. Rodwell another huge waste of money and a 3.5yr contract for Defoe is utter madness.

Burnley and Leicester are championship standard sides. Pulis will do enough to get West Brom over the line.

A decent synopsis, then you mentioned improvement, its our momentum hat concerns me.

Offline levico

« Reply #336 on: January 18, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
Which is why Lambert must go soon so that the improvement can commence.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #337 on: January 18, 2015, 10:17:26 PM »
Chicagolion has nailed it,it's momentum that's the problem, and we should be concerned.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #338 on: January 18, 2015, 10:19:46 PM »
It's in our hands still at the moment but we are approaching some must win games . It's when it's out of your hands you have to really panic .

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #339 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:26 PM »

I wouldn't have minded Defoe, TBH.

True, our main issue is creating chances and signing him alone wouldn't rectify that. 

But Gabby and Weimann have never been prolific, and Benteke looks like he's going through the motions. With the limited chances we get, it would be great to have a forward more clinical than the current front three.

If signing Darren Bent for £18 million back in 2011 was great business, swapping Defoe for Altidore with only a bit extra on wages could be deal of the decade if they stay up.

It's not as if Defoe looked completely washed up when he was at Tottngham either, it was more the case that he was just offered a ridiculous deal to head to Toronto.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #340 on: January 18, 2015, 10:54:30 PM »
And there was me thinking this thread was asking if this is the season we win the FA Cup for the eighth time. Yet another end of the world is nigh discussion.

The answer is YES, we will win the FA Cup.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #341 on: January 19, 2015, 03:34:53 PM »
I was thinking about it a little this morning about what it would mean for Lerner. Given the chance that this continued lack of investment and poor choice of manager will eventually send us down by hook or crook, how much would it hit Randy in the pocket? The accepted notion is that Randy wants to do just enough to protect his investment and has no interest in us, providing we don’t go down; but were the unthinkable to happen, how much would it actually hit Lerner financially? He’s lost more than enough money as it is, he could flog off any players of any value and pocket the profits and then continue to search for a buyer. How much of the estimation of the club is based on the infrastructure and how much is the assets? I am sure that someone with a more detailed financial background than me could do the maths on this.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #342 on: January 19, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »
And there was me thinking this thread was asking if this is the season we win the FA Cup for the eighth time. Yet another end of the world is nigh discussion.

The answer is YES, we will win the FA Cup.

I'm thinking there is every chance, as I fully expect the joy of actually winning the thing to come hand-in-hand with being relegated.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #343 on: January 19, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »
I was thinking about it a little this morning about what it would mean for Lerner. Given the chance that this continued lack of investment and poor choice of manager will eventually send us down by hook or crook, how much would it hit Randy in the pocket? The accepted notion is that Randy wants to do just enough to protect his investment and has no interest in us, providing we don’t go down; but were the unthinkable to happen, how much would it actually hit Lerner financially? He’s lost more than enough money as it is, he could flog off any players of any value and pocket the profits and then continue to search for a buyer. How much of the estimation of the club is based on the infrastructure and how much is the assets? I am sure that someone with a more detailed financial background than me could do the maths on this.

The valuation will be based on 3 factors.
The value of the land Villa Park and Bodymoor Heath stand on, plus the utility value of the buildings / infrastructure.
The valuation of the squad contracts and any perceived variations against the "book value" of the contracts.
The intangible value of being a PL club instead of a championship club.

The first one is pretty fixed.
The second one is subject to a load of subjective valuations.
For example Benteke's book value will be something like 1/4 of the £7M transfer fee (1 year left of the original 4 year contract) + 2/4 of his new signing on fee when he agreed the new 4 contract 2 years ago, so his "book value" is probably around £3-5M. His actual value is probably £15-20M at the moment.
How much extra a new owner would be prepared to accept that valuation would be part of the negotiations.
Conversely, Lambert's contract will be on the books as 3/4 of his last signing on fee, when his real value is £- 3M if that's what it will cost to get rid.

The last bit us the real unknown. How much  extra is it worth to have a club like us in the PL, instead of the Championship. Yes there's all the TV money, but as most of that goes straight to players and agents, how much extra added value is there comparative to the squad value it would be expected to fund.

That's where it probably becomes a question of ambition and ego v hard headed business acumen.

If you really wanted to make money out of running a club, I'd almost guess that plodding along in the Championship, developing younger players who might get a shot at a lower middle PL team would be your best bet.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:29:06 PM by Villa in Denmark »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #344 on: January 19, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
We have scored 11 goals and we aren't bottom of the league, but instead 14th. We're shit, but Christ, how bad do you have to be to one of the 6 teams below us?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal