collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 10:18:54 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)  (Read 160283 times)

Offline Gregorys Boy

Re: Is this the season...
« Reply #180 on: November 04, 2014, 12:51:23 AM »
I tend to think Sunderland will be alright their squad isn't the best but I think Poyet is a solid manager and they have strong support and should have enough. 

How good or bad our form is over Christmas could ultimately decide if we are going to be in serious danger.  I still think there are three teams at least worse than use, but as normal it is a touch and go.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #181 on: November 04, 2014, 09:25:34 AM »
I thought a few weeks ago the usual 36 or 37 points would do the trick to stay up, not sure now as Newcastle have picked up big time and QPR are showing improved form.

It could be 40 + points for the 3rd relegation spot this year which dosen't bode well for us based on the last few seasons, two of which we haven't even reached that figure.
This is a pointless discussion and no pun intended. Any time up to Xmas people will make this analogy about teams "picking up" and therefore 40+ however records show that 35+ has been more then enough because teams take points off each other. I have not checked but I would say that  since 3 for win came about very few teams have been relegated with 35 points or more.

The point about 35 points is fair enough.

The worrying part of it is if you look across our last half seasons worth of results, 35 points is going to be a challenging target.

Offline supertom

« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
I tend to think Sunderland will be alright their squad isn't the best but I think Poyet is a solid manager and they have strong support and should have enough. 

How good or bad our form is over Christmas could ultimately decide if we are going to be in serious danger.  I still think there are three teams at least worse than use, but as normal it is a touch and go.
They're a good striker away from progressing. And I'd guess he'll also bring in a new defensive lynch-pin in Jan too to try and avert the sort of implosion that happened to them in the previous weeks.

If we get left behind in the january window we could be in trouble.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2014, 10:08:16 AM »
How depressing to have these conversations on hoping which teams are worse than us every friggin season.

This is Aston villa .  Ffs so depressing

Offline supertom

« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »
How depressing to have these conversations on hoping which teams are worse than us every friggin season.

A few weeks ago no one would have been worried about Sunderland, and they're no ahead of us in the league. A few don't seem worried about QPR, who actually beat us.
The only side I'd happily put money on us finishing above at the minute is Burnley.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »

It's truly depressing. Probably not the darkest period in our history, granted, but I can't think of a more depressing time to be a Villa fan in the last quarter of a century. I think we always had hope that we would improve. Even in our darkest days under Billy McShit, we knew it would be a matter of time before Doug took him for "a walk in his garden". There's no hope of that these days, it seems

People say it's the hope that kills you. I'd say it's the lack of hope   

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2014, 11:46:18 AM »
This season is the first season I've looked at the teams in the table and thought that we've had it. I can only see Burnley being adrift. The others (the Palaces, the QPRs, the Sun'lands) have the nous and bottle to rack enough points up.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2014, 11:51:26 AM »
How much "bottle" did you see Palace and Sunderland display last night? Looked two awful teams to me. Can't say I would fear playing either of them.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »
How much "bottle" did you see Palace and Sunderland display last night? Looked two awful teams to me. Can't say I would fear playing either of them.

Yep but QPR looked and are an awful side and they beat us. I don't think there is any team in the league at the moment we can look at and say yep that's 3 points in the bag.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2014, 02:38:15 PM »
I think the key to success in terms of winning games again is to get Senderos back ASAP. He was a key man in that start to the season, he helped to make us tough to beat and helped us to nick a few 1-0s. If we can keep him and Hutton fit then we have a decent back 5, which allows the guuys in front a bit more freedom. I don't see us going down if we get our first choice back four together.

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »

Absolutely - two poor teams without doubt.

But there isn't a single team in the division who won't be licking their lips at the prospect of facing us.

Burnley will have the game against us circled on the calendar as a 'MUST WIN'. Every other team will have us highlighted as well.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »

Yep but QPR looked and are an awful side and they beat us. I don't think there is any team in the league at the moment we can look at and say yep that's 3 points in the bag.

Fulham were awful, did the double over us last season and still went down..

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2014, 05:42:27 PM »

That Fulham away game was another one where Lambert buggered up. Herd at centre half and Baker at left back. We were woeful.

Offline supertom

« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2014, 07:17:04 PM »
It was probably our results against the better sides that kept us up last season. I'm thinking Arsenal, City, Chelsea, we took a point at Anfield, and we also got a really good and unexpected 3 points at Southampton.
I don't see us matching that this season. We've beaten a rapidly declining Liverpool, but I don't see us picking up too much in the other corresponding fixtures, as has proven so far. The big boys won't slip up against us again or take us lightly. Arsenal, City and Chelsea had it pretty easy this season.

Our results, particularly against the sides around us are what has to improve. If Last season is anything to go by, you'd probably expect us to balls it up against the likes of Leicester, Palace and Burnley. Games we've got to be, particularly at home, winning. Dropping 6 points against a team is wretched as Fulham didn't cost us last season. However, doing something similar this season could well do.

There aren't any games we can look at and genuinely expect to get 3 points. We've got to fight for everything and attack games because in terms of unexpected results, I don't see us matching what we did last season. 

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »

That Fulham away game was another one where Lambert buggered up. Herd at centre half and Baker at left back. We were woeful.
Yep I was there , wasn't Bacuna RB aswell and have away a mad pen. Shocking times that are only getting worse.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal