collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)  (Read 160996 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Is this the season...
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »
QPR weren't better than us, in fact they were atrocious, but it was very easy for them, as we were absolutely clueless as to how to break them down.

Chelsea will as much possession and bum them four or five. We couldn't muster anything more than two chances for Clark.

Or not.  QPR actually looked to give them a much better game than we managed to.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2014, 06:34:34 PM »
Burnley, QPR and us.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Tonight, I really think we'll drop. But the saving grace might be that we're in the doldrums now, rather than dropping like a stone later on. It's whether or not we're marooned by the time we rally that'll make the difference.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
Saving grace is it's November, not March or April where we've previously been on losing runs in recent seasons and the games are running out.

The situation looks pretty desperate now I agree and with no Benteke for the next three games we'll go back to scoring nil.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »
Burnley, Palarse and then one from Olbiyun, Leicester, QPR and us.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »
A week before the season started I said it would be Burnley, Southampton and us.

I reckon I'll get two from three there.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2014, 07:04:24 PM »
Quite possibly as we continue to drift complacently down the table. If not this year then next year probably won't have Benteke, Delph or Vlaar and that'll kill us.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2014, 07:04:49 PM »
A week before the season started I said it would be Burnley, Southampton and us.

You think Southampton will have that bad a collapse to join Burnley and QPR?

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »

I look at what they've done so far this season - despite selling all those players - and weep.  If Lerner wanted austerity at Villa Park, at least deliver it as Southampton are managing with decent football and a creative managerial appointment.

Offline ingatea

« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2014, 11:01:44 PM »
It feels like 1987, If Lerner doesn't act we will go down.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2014, 11:03:54 PM »
The worry is that those defensive lapses have come back, our turn around last season started when we tightened up defensively.
It looks like we have a couple of mistakes in us every game and that is what really takes the moral out of a team.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »
I can see us losing the next three games.

That's not me saying "we will lose the next three", but I honestly can't see us beating anyone at the moment. In fact, I can't see us taking a point, either.

So what would realistically happen if we did lose the next three?

This is hypothetical, but is there any amount of belief in manager from chairman that could allow that manager to stay in his job after nine defeats in a row?

I appreciate these are things that have not yet happened, but we've already reached six, and that is bad enough.

Surely, no matter how much Lerner loves Lambert, there has to come a point where, if nothing else, sheer pride kicks in and he has to do something? How could he have pride in a club and sit back and allow such dreadful failure to happen?

Surely at some point, even he has to get embarassed and realise it just isn't working?

So where does that happen?

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2014, 11:18:15 PM »
I'm not sure Randy would pull the plug if we lost every game until Easter.
I'm not even convinced he knows it's an option.
He's picked his man and he'll stick by him, the new contract was proof of that. 
I'm very much afraid that he holds with the American political addage that you don't change jockeys half we through a race, even if the jockey doesn't really know what he's doing and is flogging a soon to be dead.horse.

Offline myf

« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2014, 11:59:30 PM »
It has all the signs of the drop. Leaky defence, soft midfield which doesn't contribute any goals and inept attack. Horrendous home record, continuous injuries, error strewn players, 1 point per game average.

Just looked at other teams who lost 5 on bounce - derby, Ipswich,  Sunderland and Watford.  All relegated (although Newcastle survived last year after 7 I think).

4 defeats to the London teams already and west ham next up. What id do for a goalless draw. Bleak.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2014, 12:27:55 AM »
I can see us losing the next three games.

That's not me saying "we will lose the next three", but I honestly can't see us beating anyone at the moment. In fact, I can't see us taking a point, either.

So what would realistically happen if we did lose the next three?

This is hypothetical, but is there any amount of belief in manager from chairman that could allow that manager to stay in his job after nine defeats in a row?

I appreciate these are things that have not yet happened, but we've already reached six, and that is bad enough.

Surely, no matter how much Lerner loves Lambert, there has to come a point where, if nothing else, sheer pride kicks in and he has to do something? How could he have pride in a club and sit back and allow such dreadful failure to happen?

Surely at some point, even he has to get embarassed and realise it just isn't working?

So where does that happen?

I was wondering that myself. What is the tipping point? When does even the most well laid intentions of stability come to an end and reality sink in. I know that's what they were aiming for with his contract but as so many things in the Randy era it has come back to bite him square in buttocks. Lambert's not walking so when does Fox go to Randy and say that things need to change or the worst scenario could very well take place.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal