collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the season... (Poll reset after Albion double)  (Read 160997 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Is this the season...
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2014, 10:19:42 PM »
Can you see your reflection
False strength, hollow protection
Run from pain and rejection
The truth stabs again

Till the skin is broken
And the cut is open
And the words once spoken
Just fade away

Too late, standing on the trap door

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »
Break enough eggs you makes omelette .

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2014, 10:25:47 PM »
If we were ever going to be relegated, it would have happened under McLiesh. Lambert has proved pretty clueless in setting us up, but there was something pretty special in playing 7 defenders at home.

We're bullet proof. There will always be a tranche of promoted clubs as poor as QPR, Burnley and Leicester and some turds that haven't quite flushed like Palace and Sunderland to keep us out the mire.

15th is our horizon for the foreseeable future. Aren't we lucky? Yes, 77 other clubs would say, but then they support Mickey Mouse outfits and not Aston Villa. Lucky we ain't. Or entertained.

In the last 2 April's it's not felt like we were bullet proof. More like surviving by the 'skin of our teeth'. There's 2 things that need to be addressed - 1) the manager and 2) the funding.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2014, 10:40:17 PM »
We are far from bullet proof . As things currently stand I'd say we are nailed on for 20th.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2014, 11:29:22 PM »
We are far from bullet proof . As things currently stand I'd say we are nailed on for 20th.
Agree, we are far from bullet proof.
We are averaging a point a game, so only a slight reduction gets us relegated.
We have been lucky that the survival total has been low, we can not guarantee that will continue.
It only takes a few injuries for us to go from scraping to getting beat such is the weakness of the squad.
We are relying on players that are actually getting worse, Weiman and Gabby for starters.
The signs are that the team is in disarray and we have the prospect that our owner will not react in time having just given our record breaking manager a new contract.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2014, 12:18:50 AM »

As bad as we are, we aren't finishing below Burnley at least.

Not sure on the other two yet....

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2014, 04:55:48 AM »
We will be safe, just need to get some confidence and a bit of Lady Luck.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2014, 07:51:46 AM »
Can you see your reflection
False strength, hollow protection
Run from pain and rejection
The truth stabs again

Till the skin is broken
And the cut is open
And the words once spoken
Just fade away

Girls Aloud. Very underrated.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2014, 08:10:34 AM »

We've had that for the past 3 seasons. She's due a holiday and I think it's this year.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »
If we were ever going to be relegated, it would have happened under McLiesh. Lambert has proved pretty clueless in setting us up, but there was something pretty special in playing 7 defenders at home.

We're bullet proof. There will always be a tranche of promoted clubs as poor as QPR, Burnley and Leicester and some turds that haven't quite flushed like Palace and Sunderland to keep us out the mire.

15th is our horizon for the foreseeable future. Aren't we lucky? Yes, 77 other clubs would say, but then they support Mickey Mouse outfits and not Aston Villa. Lucky we ain't. Or entertained.

Sadly I fear that's what Lerner thinks and that kind of complancey will lead to us going down eventually if we don't address our issues.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2014, 08:51:22 AM »

Sadly I fear that's what Lerner thinks and that kind of complancey will lead to us going down eventually if we don't address our issues.

I'm waiting with baited breath for the first time this season that Paul Lambert will tell us he's not in the least bit worried about relegation. Could be on Sunday evening!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »

We've had that for the past 3 seasons. She's due a holiday and I think it's this year.

Have we?  Was it lucky for Kozak and benteke to both pick up serious long term injuries?  Was it lucky for Okore to start well and then miss a full season? Have we been lucky in losing Delph to a shoulder injury just before we got into a run of games where we could win.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »
Far too early to predict anything at this stage of the season. On the form of the first few matches of the season, no way. On the form of the last few games, undoubtedly.

Too many games to go to accurately predict if we'll go down or stay up

The earliest you could call it is if we're significantly adrift at the bottom going in to new year having failed against a range of top middle and lower clubs. Even then, there's time to go on a run and claw it back.

I was more worried last season than this season and even more so the season before that and the season before that.

The worst thing for me is the wild swing between looking like we'd kicked on from last season to reverting to being utter gash in the space of a few weeks.

It's pretty clear in my mind now, only a change in ownership to someone or a consortium with serious financial backing and the nous to invest wisely will see us be anything other than also rans -and by that I mean about 9th - 17th place finishers. Honestly can't see us going down, but that's more hope than insight by and large.

Shit isn't it?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »
Just done the poll. More than twice as many people think we'll go down than those that think we'll stay up. That's not good at all.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2014, 09:49:52 AM »
We probably won't, but we might, and for the 5th season running that's not acceptable.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal