collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Complacency under Lambert?  (Read 15731 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Complacency under Lambert?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 10:21:55 AM »
I wouldn't say it's complacency I just think it's total and utter ineptitude. It's a manager who ultimately is out of his depth in Premier League level tactically and stylistically. We're losing 2-3 players away from being a side that could go down. Had Lambert to this point suffered the same injury to the spine of his side that McLeish did in the run in, I think we'd have gone down. As it is, though we've had piss poor luck with injuries (is it just luck, or our training?) but not quite as bad as when McLeish lost Dunne, Petrov and Bent within a month. At that point we were poor but reasonably comfortable in mid-table. But losing our best defender, best midfielder and top scorer shatted us up.

If we were to end up without Vlaar, Delph and Benteke for the last three months. We're gone. Simple as that. So keep your fingers crossed everyone. As it is my only positive with Delph's injury and Bentekes is, that they're early season. Vlaar tends to be a few weeks to a month off kind of guy. As yet, not long term, so hopefully that doesn't change for us.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
You could say that about any side below 8th.

Offline supertom

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
You could say that about any side below 8th.
That's true, though some players to us have become too important. With a lot of the lower clubs even some of their better players are interchangeable. Someone will come in and offer more or less the same. Ultimately I want us to be where we should be, and that's to be better than the clubs in the bottom 10, and be able to cope if we lose one midfielder.

At the very least, we've got to put out sides that look like they know what they're doing. Which in the vast majority of games under Lambo doesn't happen. Leicester for example look a very well drilled and balanced side. For a club many had as certs for relegation they've largely surprised. Early days yet of course, but they'll probably stay up and in no small part because they look very well managed.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »
IMO we really lack being game-savvy, having more intensity, giving oppos something to think about, doing the unexpected ... all the things that the manager / coaching staff should be drilling into the players.
I don't think we have a particularly bad squad: we have a good blend of youth and experience and some of the players have played at a decent level. The challenge is the footballing style and ethos, which is completely absent.

All of which is down to Lambert.

Offline supertom

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:57 AM »
I'm just sick of other sides, and not even always the top sides, making controlling and passing a football look a hell of a lot easier than we seemed to make it look. We look like we're passing a hand grenade without the pin in around the pitch. Every player looks like they have the fear of McGrath in them as if they're gonna get their foot blown off.
If you ever threw a spider at a girl when you were younger. Picture her reaction, her body mannerisms, her facial expression. It's not too dissimilar to most of our players when the ball comes to their feet. I wish I was exaggerating too. What's so fucking terrifying about a football? Whatever it might be, it seems Aston Villa FC have discovered it.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 12:24:50 PM »
About 5-10 minutes into the game yesterday, after watching Everton pass the ball around without us getting anywhere near it, i turned to my mate and said 'this could be a really easy win for Everton' and that's exactly how it turned out. It was all a bit predictable.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
Most chairmen would have sacked Lambert months ago, but not Lerner. He hasn't the stomach for it, won't want to pay Lambert off and won't want to go through the drawn-out business of finding a replacement.

Just watching Match of the Day extra and they are talking about QPR v Villa as a must win for QPR, otherwise Rednapp might get the sack. The pressure is certainly on him. Conversely, we all know Lambert is safe whatever happens. When you add the infuriating habit of teams that need a result tending to get one against the Villa, it's a bit worrying. Having said that it'll probably end up 0-0 which will be no good for anyone.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
A draw at QPR wouldn't be a bad result, stops the rot. It's important we don't get beat. QPR are a very poor side though and I wouldn't be surprised if they're relegated, so a win is not out of reach.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
Paul Lambert will only lose his job if we are relegated - and even then he may not.
He is doing his job to the letter - "Keep Aston Villa in the Premiership"
How he achieves that is immaterial to the owner.

Offline supertom

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 01:42:05 PM »
A draw at QPR wouldn't be a bad result, stops the rot. It's important we don't get beat. QPR are a very poor side though and I wouldn't be surprised if they're relegated, so a win is not out of reach.
I think it's a must win. The following three games look very difficult on paper. Even the West Ham game. I don't think a draw does enough to stop the rot as we could easily go the next four games without winning. By the same token though, QPR will be approaching that game as if it's a must win too, as they've got a horrible run of fixtures after us.
It'll depend on who wants it more or who's more adventurous. Given both managers this season it's gonna be an absolute nightmare to sit through. It's probably going to be an awful game of football.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 03:25:23 PM »

It's certainly a 6 pointer.

Offline levico

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »
Personally, aside from a physical assault on Lerner by Lambert, I can't think of any circumstances that would lead to his dismissal. I include relegation in that. I think we are stuck with him until the club is sold but day by day, match by match, defeat by defeat - our saleability is reducing all the time.

Not an attractive or optimistic prospect but a realistic view IMHO.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
I wouldn't say it's complacency I just think it's total and utter ineptitude. It's a manager who ultimately is out of his depth in Premier League level tactically and stylistically. We're losing 2-3 players away from being a side that could go down. Had Lambert to this point suffered the same injury to the spine of his side that McLeish did in the run in, I think we'd have gone down. As it is, though we've had piss poor luck with injuries (is it just luck, or our training?) but not quite as bad as when McLeish lost Dunne, Petrov and Bent within a month. At that point we were poor but reasonably comfortable in mid-table. But losing our best defender, best midfielder and top scorer shatted us up.

If we were to end up without Vlaar, Delph and Benteke for the last three months. We're gone. Simple as that. So keep your fingers crossed everyone. As it is my only positive with Delph's injury and Bentekes is, that they're early season. Vlaar tends to be a few weeks to a month off kind of guy. As yet, not long term, so hopefully that doesn't change for us.

Only thing I'd say to is if Lambert is incompetent (and I concede there's been enough turmoil in the two years he's been here to suggest he is rather than he isn't) how does he come up with these excellent game plans to beat Chelsea at home and Liverpool and Arsenal away?

If it was only happening once or twice a season then I'd agree it's luck. I thought the way we won the Man. City home game for example last season was a total fluke with Bacuna's free kick flying in at a crucial time.

However we do usually come up with this sort of unexpected result/performance once a month so is it just law of averages that eventually good players like Vlaar, Delph, Gabby and Benteke will all click and play well or does Lambert's tactics only work well against specific teams e.g us always putting in amazing performances at Anfield for some reason.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »
If he actually had game plans, then surely he'd have more than 89 points from 84 games in charge of Villa, and not a -50 goal difference. Woeful.

Offline curlytailavfc

• www.friendsofakitas.co.uk
  • GM : 26.02.2019
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
QPR at home a must win says it all

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal