collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unim-Press-ed  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Unim-Press-ed
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:36 AM »
Complaining about the state of the game, sadly is very King Canute.
There is very little we can do about it. There are more consumers than there are genuine football supporters.
At least I was around to witness 1970 to 1982, when the game still had integrity, passion and still belonged to the fans. The bastards can not take that away and the new breed of consumer fan will never really get what that meant.
Very sad indeed.

My take on it too.  When the teams lined up on Saturday looking at what we have and they have I said to my mate we'll do well to come away with a 2-0 loss.  So it transpired.  That's a million miles away from what it was like 40 years ago.  I wish football would go out of fashion so we can have vintage football back.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 04:06:55 PM »
I treat it week by week. If we've won then great, i'm happy until the next game comes round but I don't look at anything long term  in terms of expectations etc. There are too many games however against super rich teams that I think we have no chance against if that opponent is at their best so I try not to get too depressed. Doesn't work mind you, particularly when the average supporter who follows those teams is a complete mickey taking bellend. If we beat someone then great, I don't tend to rub it in or be in someones face about it unless its a mates team, I find the average glory hunter supporter will give shit to all and everyone cos their team tends to win every week.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »
There is very little we can do about it. There are more consumers than there are genuine football supporters.
At least I was around to witness 1970 to 1982, when the game still had integrity, passion and still belonged to the fans. The bastards can not take that away and the new breed of consumer fan will never really get what that meant.
Very sad indeed.

My take on it too.  When the teams lined up on Saturday looking at what we have and they have I said to my mate we'll do well to come away with a 2-0 loss.  So it transpired.  That's a million miles away from what it was like 40 years ago.  I wish football would go out of fashion so we can have vintage football back.

Philosophy time - what is it that we really want back; proper football or our youth?

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »
I just want silverware or the possibility of silverware back.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »
Very sad indeed.

Philosophy time - what is it that we really want back; proper football or our youth?

If it came to a choice, give me my youth every time so that I can go out and make all the same mistakes all over again and perhaps manage a few new ones too.

Seriously, there is truth in what you say in that each generation looks book fondly on earlier times with a fondness not always earned. We brush over all the rubbish players, teams, refs, grounds, Liverpool winning the league every year and Gary Glitter in the charts all the time. However, Villa and Forest winning Europe's top trophy could not happen now so there was a little more of a meritocracy than now.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »
A level playing field.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »
Anyone want to take a guess on what the tactics will be at QPR away?

Offline claret and blue blood

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
The difference today is we go to games against the rich teams hoping for a result but expecting a defeat, its only going to get worse and its also affected the national team in exactly the same way.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 07:46:13 PM »
Very sad indeed.

Both, but youth is wasted on the young

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »
A level playing field.

Spot on.
As it stands, we are waiting for either this to happen or a multi billionaire to buy us so we can compete. I prefer the former when it was more about the coaching, youth systems and the tactics.... Not a pissing contest.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 10:00:37 PM »
Football has eaten itself. If reaching the holy grail of the CL is the end game so I can be charged +£100 for a ticket then what's the point.

Offline leylandalbion

• GM : 06.05.2015
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »
so the championship wouldn't have been so bad.....I still dream that lambert et al will bring a Dortmund scenario to premiership...its still 11 v 11 and if you get the right players.......where's my crack pipe?

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 11:15:46 AM »
Anyone want to take a guess on what the tactics will be at QPR away?

Same as when we play the 39th game! >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal