collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ed back again  (Read 13224 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Press-ed back again
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2014, 12:00:28 AM »
Something clearly has to change.  Whilst the current cartel arrangement suits Sky and BT the law  of diminishing returns must surely eventually apply.

Genuine supporters are already disinterested and Sundays will appear far from Super when teams are regularly playing in half empty grounds.

The hype of  continues to  generate decent attendences at the moment but when sport becomes non competitive who will be bothered to watch it?

It doesn't strike me as a viable long term  business model.
It'll eventually apply, but we're many years away from that yet.

Something will be done when grounds are half-empty, but the average Premier League attendance has increased every year for the last four seasons.

So while attendances go up, viewing figures go up, media interest goes up, and most importantly amounts of being spent on rights and advertising rates go up, why would the people with the ability to change things have any desire to change anything? They are achieving what they have set out to do spectacularly well.

The next step is that more clubs will admit to what Newcastle are trying (and currently failing) to aspire to - spending enough and being well-run enough to finish between eighth and seventeenth and reaping the huge rewards that come with that. And it'll take several years of that before there will be any major appetite for things to change.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2014, 12:06:32 AM »
Average attendance dropped in 2012 from the previous season. Depending on who is the top flight, it has averaged between 33K and 36K(and change) since 2001.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
With the members of the "Top six" clubs increasing their ground capacities the average attendance in the PL will keep on rising for a few years yet.  Those grounds will fill up with the tourists/day trippers.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2014, 09:02:20 AM »
With the members of the "Top six" clubs increasing their ground capacities the average attendance in the PL will keep on rising for a few years yet.  Those grounds will fill up with the tourists/day trippers.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »
I'll admit I do not go to the beginning of a thread, I just read the last page or some times two, but it appears im not on my own with this approach to threads. as Dave the Mod pointed out to me and I hope others the clubs that are at the top of the league are mainly doing it on borrowed money, and this is imo not an ideal business model and if for whatever reason their house falls in "oops Leeds united" and all the others that have trod that road.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »
I can understand why people are downhearted, but Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid are a shining example to all of football. We have a new CEO who will hopefully have some idea on how we can compete.

In the shorter term, the fact that we are now beaking even suggests that in future we will be able to pay wages like we do to Bent, Given and N'Zogbia to players who are actually worth it.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »
It's always been the casr that the richest clubs do better than the rest. We wone th elague a lot but were rather well off. Liverpool, then Man Utd dominated and they were rich too.

These days add in Chelsea and Man City and to a slightly lesser degree Arsenal and there you have it. It's a more competitive league in that there are more teams that can win it than was the case, however, there is a lesser chance of one of the top 5 being beaten by teams outside the top 5 than before.

I hope that made sense.

The Tottenham have spent heavily and won nothing, Everton have probably £ for lb been the most successful club for a number of years. But they won't win anything.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
The number of times the double has been done in the periods before and after the start of the Premier League is a decent indicator as to what has happened in terms of competition:

1888-1992 - 5 times (Preston x1, Villa x1, Spurs x1, Arsenal x1, Liverpool x1)
1993-          - 6 times (Man Utd x3, Arsenal x1, Chelsea x1)

6 times in 21 years, against 5 times in 104 years.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2014, 04:03:03 PM »
The number of times the double has been done in the periods before and after the start of the Premier League is a decent indicator as to what has happened in terms of competition:

Isn't that 5?

Doesn't alter your point though.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2014, 04:05:30 PM »
It is 6, Arsenal did it twice in the PL era. Mystery solved

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »

Isn't that 5?

Doesn't alter your point though.

Yes, sorry. Thanks for pointing it out, PWS; it's been a long day (and night!). It should actually read:

1993-          - 6 times (Man Utd x3, Arsenal x2, Chelsea x1)

The Arsenal have done the double twice since the Premier League began.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »
Another thing that is depressing about mod£rn football, Ashley Cole has won the FA Cup as many times as Aston Villa have.

Offline supertom

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2014, 02:52:42 PM »
Another thing that is depressing about mod£rn football, Ashley Cole has won the FA Cup as many times as Aston Villa have.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »
I share the sentiment of the article and the how predictable the match on Saturday proved.  But, I don't think it is that depressing for us at this point, it would have been worse during the MON years when we were a top six club actually believing we could get more.  But with the current set up, and also because of the promising start to the season I didn't find the weekend that depressing.

The gap between the big four and the rest is a massive issue in Football though.  It is telling sometimes when you either have quite a big difference between the top and fourth place team.  It impacts further down the leagues, the gap between the PL and Championship is way too much, which then makes it even more of a struggle for the newly promoted sides.  The protection of the big four also plays a factor in the FA Cup and League Cup becoming de-valued.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal