collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ed back again  (Read 13277 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Press-ed back again
« on: September 29, 2014, 01:54:10 AM »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Press-ed back again
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 06:46:17 AM »
Agree 100%  It's a massive turn off (hence the reason I didn't bother to watch the game).  Fair play to those that went to London.

I always used to say that a Euro 'super' league would be horrendous.  But I think the time has come for it personally.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 07:24:13 AM »
I think 'resignation' is the key word for the supporters and possibly even the players. The gulf seems to be widening between the top teams and the also rans and all of us cling on to our ability pull off a shock result. But thats it - a shock result. If we or one of the others that make up the numbers, do overturn one of the big clubs, its as though Ronnie Radford has belted another one in from the halfway line.
I was hoping against hope that the malaise that had infected Man Yoo at the start of the season might spread Ebola-like through the money clubs but it seems that Louis Van Gaal has discovered the antidote even if it means he has to do it without the England captain.
Still. At least we can look forward to the next game.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:28:39 AM »
I agree with that too. Football does need to change and maybe that's the change needed.
I was only saying this to all my colleagues at work, they all support the super clubs and they all want it too. Their arrogance is not just a want of it but they are bored of the set up as it is. This is wrong on so many levels but I would be glad to see the back of them now too.

I was chatting to my brother, a Wolves fan, he doesn't even want his club to make the extra push in January on transfers to try and reach the Premier. He'd rather they keep with their plan even it meant missing out on promotion.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:59:45 AM »
Spot on, Dave.

Offline nigel

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:02:37 AM »
I've been saying for several years now that the 'European super League' should go ahead.
Get rid of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, Man C & Liverpool and we'd have a competitive Premier League with 9 or 10 teams easily being competitive for the title.
Add in that only the champions go into the Champions League, and 3 Europa League places (plus 2 cup winners) and we'll have a great league again.
I know some will say that our better players will want to play in the ESL, but, in effect, that already happens now with the excuse of winning trophies and Champions League football.
I look at it this way: Maybe, if more teams are competing for the trophies these players may not want to leave, as they can compete here.

On a side note:
Keep, fu**ing Chelsea away from Twickers!!!

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
I wonder what would have happened the European League had got up and running all those years ago when it was discussed in the early days of the Premier League.
Man Yoo, Villa and Blackburn(?) the English representatives.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:33:27 AM »
Chelsea and Manchester City are so far ahead of the other clubs financially they can afford to sign any player. The very best players will go wherever the money is which is understandable. Man Utd and Liverpool and Arsenal have some financial clout but not as much as these two.

The rest have to make do with whatever is left. It is patently ridiculous that the title has already been effectively decided by the end of September.

Man City or Chelsea. Who cares?.

The way modern football is run is rubbish.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »
This is the thing, I was sorting out my new house on Saturday and when I checked the score we were 2-0 down and I was like 'oh well'. There is just an acceptance now and it just shows how football is going down the plug hole.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »
Depressingly accurate.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »
I agree with Nigel, watching Reading and Wolves was lot more interesting than seeing a multimillion team beating a not so multimillion team because of the sheer size of their respective cheque books.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 10:14:14 AM »
This super league, some of you are talking up, well imo please look at the great number of "supporters of these great teams you put in this elite group" manu, chavski, citeh, liverpool, and arsenil.
we all know the mass majority of their support are glory hunters, and if they dont win out then their support is going to dwindle, so isnt it better for them (as they "the clubs" know the truth) that they would not all but most become the Aston Villa's, Evertons and Spurs of this elite group and there you have brinkmanship.

Super League aint going to happen unless those involved have conditions that will allow them to maintain their Big Club status (closed shop).

Dont you love Sky!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:19:03 AM by Tony Erdington »

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »
I always feel down after Chelsea and City games. Particularly Chelsea as it's just so different down there to how it was. The 'experience' is now like going to the theatre in the West End with tourists buying the spare tickets off touts. As a family man myself I should like the sight of not just Father and Sons but Mom, Dad and two point 4 with their extra long blue and white scarves skipping between the away coaches and smiling patronisingly at the away fans tuanting them with glory hunter jibes (that was me slightly pissed, not my proudest moment) but I don't. I want the sport of my youth when, yes Leeds,Liverpool and eventually Man U dominated but in between Ipswich, Everton, Arsenal and even us,once ,had a realistic chance.

Now to just to have the privilege of being one the fixtures in between Super Sundays we sacrifice cups to do so. Bah Humbug.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
We were 17/1 to beat Chelsea. Orient were only 11/1 when they came to villa park. That's the enormity of the gulf, vividly portrayed by the bookies.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
You could also say vividly portrayed by the results.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal