collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

150 celebrations by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:41:56 AM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 11:41:17 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by chrisw1
[Today at 11:40:35 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:26:04 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:24:59 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Deano/Big Ron Ryder Cup story  (Read 6512 times)

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
Re: Deano/Big Ron Ryder Cup story
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »
I loved Saunders, what a player. Sometimes when we dally with the ball I get frustrated when there seems to be a shot on. Well Saunders would have taken the shot and scored. How much confidence do you need to score the massive looped effort here!

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »
I remember him saying it was obviously a step down joining Villa from Liverpool when he signed. Never warmed to him after that.

I don't remember that, I actually remember him saying we were a massive club

He definitely said it on a live interview on the day he signed on Radio Five or whatever it was called at the time.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »
A good player but nothing more imo. Same scoring ratio as Savo and less league goals for us than Joachim. I often thought his last name was GoalDrought. Always strikes me as a nice bloke though.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 08:14:43 PM »
Deano's a good story teller though,
bet he's a great after dinner speaker, although I've never heard him

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »
Deano's a good story teller though,
bet he's a great after dinner speaker, although I've never heard him

He's the kind of bloke I can imagine it would be great to have a few pints with down the pub.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »
Fun story. Funny how the memory goes,  Deano, we didn't win that Oldham game 2-0 but drew it 1-1. I remember this because Guy Whittingham had a perfectly good header chalked off for offside and I remember thinking we should be beating teams like Oldham. Dalian scored in a 1-1 the year before and we lost both home games to Oldham in the Prem League. I always remember just after BFR was sacked in 1994-95 a Sky Sports reporter, might even have been Nick Collins, got pushed over by the D Men while filming, Deano on his knees behind Collins, Dalian applying the push. He did see the funny side of it as I remember it was aired on Sky.

Offline mal

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
****pedant alert****

'On one occasion he hit David Beckham with a shoe, accidentally. On several others he smashed tea cups but never has a story emerged of Ferguson, quite literally, scolding someone.'

One assumes that if he  'smashed tea cups' he might have been in the middle of scolding someone and that he was 'quite literally' doing that.

If they however mean 'scalding', as in being burnt by a hot liquid, someone, then I dare say they may be right. Wouldn't put it past the red-faced windbag.

While I am nit-picking actually he threw (not hit with) a boot (not a shoe). The standards of contemporary journalism seem to be sinking somewhat.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:36:11 AM by mal »

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 10:35:47 AM »
Deano wasn't prolific but a solid striker who always worked hard and would get you double figures. A 10-15 kind of guy rather than a 20 goal a season forward. He's still one of my favourites though given he significantly contributed to one of our most recent pieces of silverware, and the first I got to witness as a Villa fan. I always really liked Dalian too, but I was too young to take into account he was a bit of a lazy bugger.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 01:29:37 PM »
Deano wasn't prolific but a solid striker who always worked hard and would get you double figures. A 10-15 kind of guy rather than a 20 goal a season forward. He's still one of my favourites though given he significantly contributed to one of our most recent pieces of silverware, and the first I got to witness as a Villa fan. I always really liked Dalian too, but I was too young to take into account he was a bit of a lazy bugger.

He played in a team that for the most part had no wingers so a lot of the time he would drift out wide - Dalian certainly wasn't going to do it. Look at that season review for 92-93 and you'll remember lots of his early goals came from Froggatt crosses. BFR sold him eventually, Tony Daley too. In 93-94 BFR often played three up front at first with Whittingham joined Deano and Dalian and that just didn't work. His most prolific year was his third year when for the most of the time he had Staunton on the left wing and setting him up with a lot of goals. 100% for effort I agree but when he was in a hot streak he was the most dangerous striker in the country, when he wasn't it was hard going. As BFR said I have never ever seen a player hit woodwork as much as Deano did, that Spurs 0-0 alone he was unlucky in not only having a decent lob ruled out unfairly for offside but he hit the post 3 times I think.

Offline DesBremner

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »
Loved him when he was with us
Remember him more for the throw in off of the other teams back which led to a goal
Oh for a bit of creativity like he had in our current squad.........

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »
Loved him when he was with us
Remember him more for the throw in off of the other teams back which led to a goal
Oh for a bit of creativity like he had in our current squad.........

He did that playing for Sheff Utd.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 05:22:27 PM »
and Derby

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 05:26:29 PM »
Deano. That goal against Ipswich.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »
For a forward, he rarely tried to place the ball into the corner. 

He was more of a instinctive player, and seemed to prefer to lash it.  That might be part of the reason why he could go long stretches without scoring.

I always liked him at Derby and then the Redscouse.  He was a busy player, an irritant who would never let defenders settle.  That's perhaps part of the reason why he was so popular with Villa fans - probably more popular than more talented players like of Dalian and later Collywobbles.  Maybe it's a Brummie thing, I dunno.  But Villa fans have always appreciated work ethic, and Deano's was without question -even if he was going through a goal drought. 

Whereas with the likes of Dalian and Stan, if they weren't at the top of their game, they were prone to poodling about.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 05:52:21 PM »
Classy player and always worked hard.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal