collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Kick out the jams  (Read 4900 times)

Offline spartacuss

Kick out the jams
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »
Anyone else caught up in the mother of all jams leaving the Arsenal match via Aston Hall Road, Lichfield Road and Spaghetti Junction?  In 15 years of parking and using this route - including many 40,000 + games - it's the worst I've ever experienced. 

And the reason?  Over the summer, whichever Highways Dept. was responsible installed traffic lights at the Spaghetti Junction/Salford Circus roundabout and consequently, instead of what used to be a fairly regular flow to the M6 North and South and Erdington/Sutton, the traffic was forced to come to a shuddering halt every couple of minutes as the lights allowed the enormous tide of 2 or 3 cars coming from the Tyburn Road their 3 or 4 statutory minutes!   Multiply this a few times and anyone can see that it soon, exponentially, combines to create an enormous tail-back. 

Whatever happened to discretionary use of traffic lights at roundabouts and motorway access for Monday to Friday peak-times only etc.?  Surely once a fortnight these lights could be suspended for a couple of hours following a match and thereby relieve the frustration and vehicle pollution of a massive jam?  And talking of relief, God help anyone who had a carload of people who needed a more tangible form of it...  For the record, it took me 47 minutes to travel from the Priory Road/Aston Hall Road junction to Spaghetti Junction - a distance of half a mile.

This could be a real deterrent to the casual fans who the club needs for growth to complement any success in the league.    Anyone know who can be contacted to remedy this situation?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Kick out the jams
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:23:51 PM »
The Highways Agency, I assume. If they don't help, maybe contact the relevant MP. I imagine not having massive traffic build ups every time Villa were at home would likely be of interest to them.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »
Get hold of Lee Preece. lee.preece@avfc.co.uk and his direct line is 0121 326 1502. It's the sort of thing that they won't know about if nobody tells them. Also PM amfy to get the Trust involved.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
I always stay to the end of the game and it has been a nightmare this season. I left after 75 minutes yesterday and found it a lot better. Not that I am going to start leaving early every week.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 05:53:10 PM »
I was later than normal arriving yesterday (2 1/2 hours just to make the 45 mile drive from 'Nam), so had to park in Tesco rather than my normal spot at the school further up Aston Lane.

I thought that I got back to the car fairly quick but it still took 40 mins to exit the car park. The main problem was drivers, notably number 11 buses, blocking the car park exit so that cars couldn't get out even during the short times that the lights were green.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:20:50 PM by UK Redsox »

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
If the jam yesterday was due to the new lights then the club needs to be in talks with the police or Highways Agency first thing Monday to ensure something's done about it for future games. It was beyond a joke, 45 miserable mins to reach the island from halfway down Aston Hall Rd!!
I assumed there'd been a bump up ahead to be honest.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:44:44 PM »
What was wrong with the roundabout as it was?

I get the feeling that some graduate at the Highways Agency was given the project of increasing capacity on roundabouts and he used the the twisted logic that the problem is big gaps between cars and that if you reduced these gaps, say by stopping all the traffic, you can massively increase the capacity. It's an absolute nonsense.

All traffic lights on roundabouts should be switched off outside of rush hour.  Let the white lines painted on the roundabout control the traffic.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:32:49 PM by Ad@m »

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »
Was the worst we've known it too. Will start going towards town and that way in future until they sort the lights. No need for them at all unless the council had some budget they had to spend?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:32:54 PM by wozwebs »

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 09:38:47 PM »
Get hold of Lee Preece. lee.preece@avfc.co.uk and his direct line is 0121 326 1502. It's the sort of thing that they won't know about if nobody tells them. Also PM amfy to get the Trust involved.

Didnt know Lee was in the transport operations of Villa?

highways agency might be interested, and I think the police may well have made a report. idks

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
He's supporter liaison. So even if he can't personally help or look into it, he will make sure it is passed on to those that can.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 09:47:54 PM »
That island was down to 1 line on Friday it might of been the same on Saturday.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
He is Supporter Liaison Officer - so he could take this up on fans behalf maybe? It's possible that it could carry a bit more weight from him, or that he could assess the level of inconvenience being caused by collating fan complaints. This might have more effect than a few individual fans contacting the highways agency.

You can contact him direct, & I'll float it with him too.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 10:02:40 PM »
He is Supporter Liaison Officer - so he could take this up on fans behalf maybe? It's possible that it could carry a bit more weight from him, or that he could assess the level of inconvenience being caused by collating fan complaints. This might have more effect than a few individual fans contacting the highways agency.

You can contact him direct, & I'll float it with him too.

helpful information, glad weve got someone who can sort it out.

the highways are such hard work.

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 05:58:24 AM »
I had similar massive delays getting to the game from the south east via the M6. There was a five mile tail back about a mile south of the Coventry exit caused by a lane being coned off for the common invisible reason. Add to that the massive congestion of the roadworks at the M1/M6 junction and the same at Kettering on the A14 and my 100 mile journey took over four hours, all on dual carriageway roads except a mile or two from my village to the A14.

It was particularly infuriating because Bad English was in town and I missed him. All the time which should have been spent plying him with drink was spent raging at the Highways Agency.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »
I had similar massive delays getting to the game from the south east via the M6. There was a five mile tail back about a mile south of the Coventry exit caused by a lane being coned off for the common invisible reason. Add to that the massive congestion of the roadworks at the M1/M6 junction and the same at Kettering on the A14 and my 100 mile journey took over four hours, all on dual carriageway roads except a mile or two from my village to the A14.

It was particularly infuriating because Bad English was in town and I missed him. All the time which should have been spent plying him with drink was spent raging at the Highways Agency.

that was the same journey for me Brian.....it was awful. I left at 11.30am and got to the Bartons at 2pm, just in time for a quick pint.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal