collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bogey Grounds.  (Read 15688 times)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Bogey Grounds.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »
We never seemed to get a result at Highfield Road as I remember.

What? We hardly ever lost there.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 01:35:27 PM »
The reason the likes of Man U do well at Villa Park is that they respect the place. It's a proper, traditional football ground with more history than most. Ferguson knew it and made sure his teams were well up for it.

I've said that many a time. It also happens at Anfield when they're not doing well and last season Manchester United had some shocking results at home. The opposition are up for it and you aren't.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »
The reason the likes of Man U do well at Villa Park is that they respect the place. It's a proper, traditional football ground with more history than most. Ferguson knew it and made sure his teams were well up for it.

I've said that many a time. It also happens at Anfield when they're not doing well and last season Manchester United had some shocking results at home. The opposition are up for it and you aren't.

Was going to make a similar point.  I think when Liverpool were under performing during the 90s that they were sometimes weighed down by the levels of expectations from their fans, and so sometimes when facing a team like us at Anfield then unless they got off to a storming start it made it hard for them to relax.  The ironic thing about that is that at times during that period we were just as good as them, or at least not far off their level.   Man Utd did so well at home partly because even if it took them a long time to get the lead they very rarely panic and slowly worn the other team down.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »

Gary LinekerVerified account
‏@GaryLineker
RT @bonesy81: @GaryLineker who was your bogey team? < More of a bogey ground, Villa Park. Never scored there.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 03:01:43 PM »

Gary LinekerVerified account
‏@GaryLineker
RT @bonesy81: @GaryLineker who was your bogey team? < More of a bogey ground, Villa Park. Never scored there.

Yeah think he mentioned that a few weeks ago on MOTD or maybe a interview.

Offline Bill Locky

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 03:35:54 PM »
In the Allan Evans testimonial game programme, Gary Lineker credited Allan as the reason he never scored at Villa Park.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »
We never seemed to get a result at Highfield Road as I remember.

What? We hardly ever lost there.

We never used to lose to Coventry for years home or away but then around the turn of the nineties they started to beat us at Highfield Road. I know they beat us there in the two seasons we were runners up (2-1 and 3-0, the latter on Boxing Day.) They also did us there 1-0 in BFR's first season. And then there was the home game where we only had 90 minutes to score a winner against them whereas United had two weeks to turn the Sheffield Wednesday game round.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 07:21:50 PM »
We've beaten Liverpool at Anfield six times in the Premier League. Similar against Arsenal.
Eight wins at Middlesborough seems to where we had most success.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »
We've beaten Liverpool at Anfield six times in the Premier League. Similar against Arsenal.
Eight wins at Middlesborough seems to where we had most success.

Great. If we want a good day out we have to go to Liverpool, Middlesbrough or pay seven quid for a pint in London where, in my experience they have no concept of having any head on a pint of lager.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 07:33:30 PM »
Selhurst Park. V Palace & Charlton & Wimbledon. Struggling to remember any wins. BFR and Brian Little both lost heir jobs abruptly after defeats there.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 07:47:13 PM »
Selhurst Park. V Palace & Charlton & Wimbledon. Struggling to remember any wins. BFR and Brian Little both lost heir jobs abruptly after defeats there.

Apart from the Dalian game I totally agree. In fact if I was a mod I would have posted SELHURST PARK and just closed the thread after that. Charlton as good as relegating us, Garry Thompson derailing our title bid and a Vinnie Jones penalty knocking us out of a midweek FA cup replay. Nightmare journey and when you are right by the ground nobody seems to know how to direct you there. My thirteen year old son knows all about my 'love' for that ground. If he annoys me I threaten to take him there!

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 08:21:47 PM »
Our decent record at Coventry began from 1994 onwards when we won 1-0 with a Tony Daley goal. We won six straight games there plus we usually beat them at Villa Park too. Savo Milosevic in particular liked playing them. They did win an FA Cup tie in that time and beat us with 2 goals from Robbie Keane in John Gregory's time but generally we called the shots in that match-up before eventually helping relegate them in 2001. We haven't seen them since. Shame.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 08:26:33 PM »
Remember the 'we'll be back' banner.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »
Am I right in saying the Robbie Keane game was just after he had signed for them rather than us and may even have been his debut? As for the banner. We remember but we aren't holding our breath.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 08:39:35 PM »
Am I right in saying the Robbie Keane game was just after he had signed for them rather than us and may even have been his debut? As for the banner. We remember but we aren't holding our breath.

yes that was he situation with Keane at the time, especially when we were desperate for a striker other than Dublin and the out of form Joachim.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal