collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Spizz vs. Gianluca Pagliuca and Pagliuca at VP  (Read 11048 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Spizz vs. Gianluca Pagliuca and Pagliuca at VP
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
Italian goalkeeping legend Gianluca Pagliuca paid an emotional visit to Villa Park this past week.

Pagliuca made a return to B6 for the first time in 20 years.

The last time he was at Villa Park was a rather more sombre affair for the stopping sensation.

That day he was on the losing side as Inter Milan lost to Villa on penalties in the UEFA Cup, Phil King slamming the vital spot-kick past him at a jam-packed Villa Park.

Little did the thousands of spectators realise that day that Pagliuca was already a giant claret and blue fanatic.

Pagliuca, one of Italy's finest goalkeepers, has followed Villa's fortunes since our title-winning campaign of 1980-81, when he was just 14.

He was captivated by the team that swept to glory under Ron Saunders and to a European Cup triumph under Tony Barton 12 months later - and his love for the club has never diminished.

Pagliuca played for Sampdoria, Inter Milan, Bologna and Ascoli during a glittering career which spanned 20 years and more than 600 league games.

He also played 39 times for his country and was the first goalkeeper to make a save in a World Cup final penalty shoot-out when Italy lost to Brazil in the USA in 1994.

Pagliuca was delighted to finally arrive in B6 as a supporter to watch the Sunderland game from the Doug Ellis Stand after admitting he had been unable to do so before due to other football commitments.

It may not have been the win he craved but he was thrilled to be 'home.'

He spent time with Nigel Spink and Jimmer Rimmer in the Lions Lounge before the match and ensured he had photos taken with his family in the new dugouts - and also in goal!

Discussing his early recollections of following Villa, he said: "I remember that the first private TV channels started to broadcast English football in Italy - and I became keen on the big challenge for the title with Ipswich Town.

"It was a truly memorable season, even if the results did not arrive to me in real time like they do now!

"I also fell in love with the shirt, which is both beautiful and unique. But the big history of the club also fascinated me."

Recalling the night in Rotterdam, he continued: "I remember the moment Jimmy Rimmer got injured very well. I held him in high esteem. He was obviously first-choice keeper.

"When I saw him injured I was very frightened because I was a young fan and had never seen Nigel Spink play - but he was brilliant."

On playing against Villa in 1994, he added: "I was happy when I saw the draw because it meant I was able to play at Villa Park.

"But it was also very strange to face the team that I supported.

"The second leg in that beautiful stadium was emotional.

"I remember that we were ahead in the penalty shoot-out - and I saved from Guy Whittingham.

"But we missed our last two penalties before Phil King scored the decisive goal."

It was great to see him at Villa Park again - and here's to many more visits.

Offline Archie

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
Gianluca was for the beautiful welcome received by the former Villa players and by the fans, with some of them he become friend on facebook.
He said that in his long career as a footballer,  he never saw a club  remotely comparable with - and that oozes class like - our beloved Villa.
He met Sid Cowans and they talked in Italian about his spell in Italy!
Then he met the three keepers of the 1981-82, Nigel Spink, Jimmy Rimmer and Mark Kendall, that never actually played but was in the squad during the European Cup run.

[img width= height=]http://i.imgur.com/y2KF7zDl.jpg[/img]

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »
We have asked members of the claret and blue family - celebrities, fans, journalists, staff - to give us their all-time hero. Here Inter Milan and Italy goalkeeping legend Gianluca Pagliuca tells us about his admiration for Nigel Spink.

We always have a winter break in Italian football, and this year I'm taking advantage of it by making a sentimental journey to Villa Park.

I've been a supporter since the age of 14 in 1980-81, the season when Villa were champions.

But my football commitments, first as a player and then as a coach, have constantly made it difficult for me to attend a live game.

But 20 years after I played at Villa Park for Inter in the UEFA Cup I came back as a spectator for the game against Sunderland on Sunday - and the one against Crystal Palace on New Year's Day.

I really enjoyed meeting the goalkeeper who helped my team to win the European Cup - and I hope to see him again on Thursday.

Nigel Spink and I chatted on the phone recently (with the help of an interpreter!) and we discussed getting together at the Sunderland game.

That was incredible to do because I've wanted to meet him for so many years.

I suppose I should have taken the opportunity when Inter played Villa in 1994 but at the time I was too focussed on the games to think about anything else.

Although Tony Morley was the player who excited me most when I was a boy, I followed Nigel's career with great interest because he is a goalkeeper.

And, like me, he is remembered by football people because of one very special moment.

In my case, it's the fact that I was the first keeper to make a save in a World Cup final penalty shoot-out.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to prevent Italy from losing to Brazil in the 1994 final in the USA, but Nigel can look back on his special moment with great affection.

Peter Withe eventually scored the winning goal but it was Nigel's succession of fine saves after he had gone on as a substitute in the ninth minute that laid the foundations for Villa's 1982 European Cup triumph.

That was a beautiful story, the sort of thing a young goalkeeper can only usually dream about.

It's like something from fiction but it actually happened. Superb!

After that I followed Nigel's career with great interest.

Like me, he played many, many games and it was just a pity that played only once for England.

He deserved more, because he was always so reliable when he played for Aston Villa.

Nigel's Rotterdam story shows that fate can often take a hand in football, and that was also the case for Brad Guzan, who might now have been playing for another club after he was released by Villa two years ago.

But Paul Lambert's decision to take him back to the club was an inspired move.

Guzan has improved so much since he replaced Shay Given and is now one of the best keepers in British football.

It would be nice to speak to him, as well, hopefully after a win over Palace to start the New Year in style!

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »
I hope for his sake he's sees a better game and a Villa win against Palace.

Offline danno

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
I hope for his sake he's sees a better game and a Villa win against Palace.

Same here, although being a goalkeeper, maybe he really enjoyed the two clean sheets!  ;D

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 04:10:34 PM »
He sounds like an absolute 100% Villa fan...brilliant!

Fingers crossed for a good performance and 3 points on Thursday!

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »
Bring him up The Bartons, Archie.

Of course mate, our great friend Frank will accompany him after the game!

Nah, The Ruskin Hall.

Gianluca and his family enjoyed the Barton's and later had dinner there. And he had his photo taken with cheltenhamlion. He'll be in the Lions Club before the Palace game.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 10:19:01 PM »
Although getting his picture taken with me will obviously be the highlight of his trip.

Offline supertom

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »
Pagliuca was probably (Bos and Spink aside of course) my favourite goalkeeper back in the day. I was a huge fan of his after the 94 World Cup and watching Serie A when it was on Channel 4. Exceptional shot stopper. That he only had 39 caps for the national side was a shame, but I suppose also testament to Buffon's rise during the late 90's.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »
Porky Peruzzi was pretty good in those days aswell, Juve number one for quite a few years.

Offline Archie

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2015, 12:17:38 AM »
Porky Peruzzi was pretty good in those days aswell, Juve number one for quite a few years.

And Lazio aswell!

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
I wonder did Gianluca Pagliuca get an offer to play in English football ?  Shame we didn't have him, but we David James / Mark Bosnich at the era (If I remember correctly)

Offline Archie

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 11:06:15 PM »
We met again Gianluca at the Latin Lions annual meeting in Bologna, where he ended his professional carreer and now coaches with success the U15.
He follows and suffers for the Villa like any other fan and was pleased to send his greetings to the users of H& V forum.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:48:50 PM by Archie »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 11:53:33 PM »
Excellent! Maybe he could be our celebrity moderator.

Offline Archie

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal