collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Happy birthday Big John  (Read 5878 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Happy birthday Big John
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 08:44:11 PM »
Inconsistant with his injuries and probably stayed a season too long as he didn't want to be here when Houllier took over but overall a key part of our successful team and I think his league goalscoring record for us wasn't far off 1 in 2.

One of the few we've had recently aswell that inspired a couple of creative chants from the crowd particularly after the strip club incident...

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 09:20:20 PM »
John loves Villa and we love John

Indeed.  Awesome player.  I bet Gary Cahill still has nightmares now.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »
Inconsistant with his injuries and probably stayed a season too long as he didn't want to be here when Houllier took over but overall a key part of our successful team and I think his league goalscoring record for us wasn't far off 1 in 2.

One of the few we've had recently aswell that inspired a couple of creative chants from the crowd particularly after the strip club incident...

In the league, 1 in 3. 37 goals in 113 appearances.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 09:25:47 PM »
HB Rocket Man. Leg.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
Happy Birthday John and thank you for playing for us.
And everyone, don't upset the man, he's bigger than me and you!

But not big enough to get anywhere close to Ash Young's crosses! Happy Birthday John.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »

He just did so much more than those stats. His presence alone was intimidating and he could pull defenders out of position and bring other players into the game with him ability to hold up the play. No defender liked playing against him. He had deceptive pace and we all know about his power. Yes, he made Cahill his bitch that afternoon at VP vs Bolton. Haven't seen too many more complete dominant displays since though our newest beast has come close a few times.

Offline Risso

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »
He scored with such fantastic regularity in the 08/09 season.  Never more than two games for us without finding the net.  That's what makes the difference between a great scorer and somebody like Gabby.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 09:56:35 PM »
He scored with such fantastic regularity in the 08/09 season.  Never more than two games for us without finding the net.  That's what makes the difference between a great scorer and somebody like Gabby.

He scored 11 league goals that season. It was hardly a Herculean effort beyond Gabby or any other top flight striker.

Offline Risso

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »

He scored 11 league goals that season. It was hardly a Herculean effort beyond Gabby or any other top flight striker.

I didn't mention the total of his goals, just the regularity with which he scored them.  But since you mention it, 11 goals in the 27 Premier League games he played (of which he only started 17) is pretty good going by any standards.  I can't be bothered to check, but I seriously doubt Gabby has ever had a record as good as that.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 10:51:44 PM »
Still annoyed that MON picked Heskey instead of Big John in the League cup final.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 10:54:18 PM »
Happy Birthday Big John!

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 09:08:29 PM »
I was too young to see Peter Withe play but I always imagine Carew being the closest in my time that we've had to him in terms of style of play and bundle the ball over the net stuff. Which is doing Carew an injustice because he did have a fair modicum of skill. Some great times and memories. Gabby Agbonlahor has arguably never been the same since Big John left.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »
HBBJ
UTV

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 12:55:06 PM »

I honestly thought it was better than that.

Break it down in the league and I'm certain it was 1 in 2 in 07/08 and 08/09 as he got double figures in both seasons and missed games through injury, particularly in 08 09 when he was out for two months with that back injuries.

Even 09/10 he had a very good end to that season, think it was 8 goals in the last 10 games from March onwards.

Only season he didn't do anything was 10/11, don't think he scored at all that season (that Newcastle penalty flew past my window the other day) so that probably pushes it back towards 1 in 3.

Still I criticise MON for a lot of his transfer deals but no wonder can argue that Baros-Carew swop was a genius deal on our half.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »

I didn't mention the total of his goals, just the regularity with which he scored them.  But since you mention it, 11 goals in the 27 Premier League games he played (of which he only started 17) is pretty good going by any standards.  I can't be bothered to check, but I seriously doubt Gabby has ever had a record as good as that.

Gabby scored 12 that season and 13 the season after in the league although he played a few more full games in fairness.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal